Author Topic: chevy springs  (Read 10858 times)

crawlerdan

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
chevy springs
« on: Jul 10, 2005, 08:09:48 PM »
i got some 64 inch long chev rears today, they are two leaves with an overload, anyone runnin these? how about three leaves? im putin em on my 87 runner, just wonderin if itll lift it, lower it, be able to handle the weight?should i add a leaf? :welcome:

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Re: chevy springs
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2005, 08:35:55 PM »
WhiteTrash, calling WhiteTrash to Project section for cleanup...there has been a spill...er, I mean a question about your favorite springs.   :gap:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2005, 08:45:51 PM »
Chevies make good add-a-leaf's for using pretty much any other 2 1/2" spring.  But on a runner they work good.  DO NOT use double shackles if you want to keep the rig upright on the trail.  Run a single shackle with a the shackle hanger reloacated back about 4" with a 5-7" long shackle and they'll be good.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2005, 08:48:08 PM »
TaDaaaaaaaa!   :hahaha:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

crawlerdan [OP]

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2005, 08:48:43 PM »
i ran a 3 leaf pack on my 85, 7 inch shacle, no double, and it flexed very well, but had no weight cause it was a fltbed, im just wonderin if the 2 leaf pack will support a runner and camper top

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2005, 09:15:14 PM »
I'm running my front hanger 11" forward of stock, my rear hanger 5" back from stock, 5" eye to eye shackle, Marlin U-Bolt flip kit, 3 leafs + Overload, zero lift.

Wyatt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 22
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Jan '05
  • I get stuck alot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2005, 09:33:30 PM »
Anyone put chevy springs on a first gen shortbed?  From the looks of my frame, there isn't any room to put a shackle mount four inches back.  There is metal that extends back that far, but it seems way weaker than the rest of the frame.  Did you guys have to reinforce this before puttin on new mounts?
-Wyatt

www.expeditionutah.com
1976 FJ55 SOA, 36"s, Hysteer, Power Steering, Aussielocked rear, Rhino Lined exterior, some other sweet stuff.
1997 FZJ80 3x Locked, OME, 33's, Nat Luna Dual Yellow Tops, Warn E 12.0, other junk

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2005, 09:58:49 PM »
Anyone put chevy springs on a first gen shortbed?  From the looks of my frame, there isn't any room to put a shackle mount four inches back.  There is metal that extends back that far, but it seems way weaker than the rest of the frame.  Did you guys have to reinforce this before puttin on new mounts?

when i bought my 83 shortbox it had the 63" chevies on the rear but with a dual shackle. they are no longer on the truck
Im an OG

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2005, 03:07:46 AM »
I love them on my runner..they flex real nice..no blocks and no over load..
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

Wyatt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '05
  • I get stuck alot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2005, 08:51:47 PM »
Yeah, I have double shackles now, since it was cheap and easy.  But I figure when the time comes and my doubles start pissin me off like everyone says they will, I will have to move my shackle hangar back (or probably make one with a johnny joint).  I was just wondering if I was going to have to beef up the frame way back on the end, since it turns from rectangular tube into an angle just past the stock hanger.
-Wyatt

www.expeditionutah.com
1976 FJ55 SOA, 36"s, Hysteer, Power Steering, Aussielocked rear, Rhino Lined exterior, some other sweet stuff.
1997 FZJ80 3x Locked, OME, 33's, Nat Luna Dual Yellow Tops, Warn E 12.0, other junk

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 12, 2005, 09:07:33 PM »
Dont worry about the frame it'll hold up to a helluva lot of abuse back there. ;)
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 12, 2005, 10:57:16 PM »
I have yet to have any problems with a the j/j  or the frame..but beef is always good..and its easy to beef the back up..

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2005, 02:47:41 PM »
Chevies make good add-a-leaf's for using pretty much any other 2 1/2" spring. But on a runner they work good. DO NOT use double shackles if you want to keep the rig upright on the trail. Run a single shackle with a the shackle hanger reloacated back about 4" with a 5-7" long shackle and they'll be good.

Uh oh... ive got dual shackles with chevy's.... Sorry to hijack..
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

Wyatt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '05
  • I get stuck alot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 18, 2005, 08:57:43 PM »
Despite everyones adamant warnings  :nonono:  to stay away from double shackles and after hearing all the horror stories about unloading and wheelhop   :sheerterror:   I did it anyway because I was too cheap and I didnt think I had room to move my shackle mount rearward  :shake_head: .  But I have been pleased with them.  No unloading on steep declines even when I was running no shocks  :thumbs: .  So, am I the only one, or is there anyone else who is happy with their double shackle setup?
-Wyatt

www.expeditionutah.com

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 19, 2005, 02:47:09 AM »
I watched kyotas unload and almost went over..when they unload,,they unload fast..they just feel unstable off camber to me..

shad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -182
  • Male Posts: 392
  • Member since Mar '05
  • waiting for warmer wheeling weather
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 19, 2005, 07:10:08 AM »
I watched kyotas unload and almost went over..when they unload,,they unload fast..they just feel unstable off camber to me..

How tight were the shackle bolts? Were they torqued to spec? I torqued all the bolts to 75 ft lbs.
Mine barely unload to 1/2 way if anything. I have had mine on some muddy steep down hills they have yet to completely unload on me.
I am not too happy with them since I think they don't unload enough. The flex is ok I kinda wish I had more.
I may yank em off and just do a 3/4 ellipical setup and just u-bolt the leaf for the street.

I am running the 2000 silverado 63" leaf's so they are 2 thick leaf's and a overload the only differnce between these and the older chevy springs is they are thicker and the front spring bushing is 5/8" instead of 9/16" they give about 3.5" lift with a 6" shackle.

I plan on running them for a little while this year. They don't seem too bad.
The ride isn't bad since I have some actual weight on the back of my truck the flatbed makes them ride good.
However if you run longer than a 6" shackle the ride will be harsh and your pinion angle will suck too.

With as much cash as I spent on this setup I think I would have been better off ordering up some cheapo downey 3" leaf springs and a 1.5" shackle lift.
It probably would have saved me $150

« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2005, 07:26:41 AM by shad »
86 Toyota 4 runner
22re screaming on 4.56's rolling 35's
My cardomain page

Wyatt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '05
  • I get stuck alot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 19, 2005, 08:32:35 PM »
My bolts are pretty tight too.  Maybe thats why I haven't had any problems.  I have a 5 1/2" shackle back, then the stock chevy down for about 2 inches of lift.  The top shackle never drops more than three or four inches off of the frame when I'm articulating.  And it doesn't bang on the frame like I thought it would.
-Wyatt

www.expeditionutah.com

4DEES

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 1,403
  • Member since Jul '04
  • THROW SOME DEES ON THAT B1TCH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 19, 2005, 10:54:52 PM »
theres some cat on pirate4x4. com named "attilia" and he has 63" chevys,he ran the rear hanger back 4inches and the front hanger up 11inches w/ a 8inch shackle (eye too eye),he's runnin' this on a 3rd gen pickup on 37's,his :pokinit: flexes badd ass!
***ROCK BRAWLERS~Southern Cali***
 www.rockbrawlers.com 

'85 Toy, 42's and a body lift!

ROCK IT TILL THE WHEELS FALL OFF!!

Matty

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 875
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 20, 2005, 08:30:46 AM »
i ran a 3 leaf pack on my 85, 7 inch shacle, no double, and it flexed very well, but had no weight cause it was a fltbed

i have an '85 flatbed and im planing on running the same thing, i was just wondering did you run the overload and what size tires were you running with that setup?

tryn2Crawl

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 20, 2005, 04:16:04 PM »
I'm a rookie and was just wondering.Whtitrash mentions moving the rear 4 inches back, what about the front rear hanger. How much do i move it forward. Sorry for the stupid question but I'm still learning.HELP please.

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 20, 2005, 04:41:30 PM »
I'm a rookie and was just wondering.Whtitrash mentions moving the rear 4 inches back, what about the front rear hanger. How much do i move it forward. Sorry for the stupid question but I'm still learning.HELP please.
11" hole to hole.

tryn2Crawl

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 20, 2005, 05:07:53 PM »
rs44044 good enough for a combo with chevies? Flex pictures anyone?

KWP

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 878
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Ghost Hunter
    • View Profile
    • East Central Oklahoma Paranormal Society
« Reply #22 on: Jul 20, 2005, 05:09:18 PM »
theres some cat on pirate4x4. com named "attilia" and he has 63" chevys,he ran the rear hanger back 4inches and the front hanger up 11inches w/ a 8inch shackle (eye too eye),he's runnin' this on a 3rd gen pickup on 37's,his :pokinit: flexes badd ass!
he is running fullwidths though
88 Toyota truck ( Under Construction ) Dana 60's front and rear 5.38's, welded diffs, 3inch Downey rears up front,one link rear with aerostar coils rolling on 39.5x16.50/17 Pittbull Rockers and 17x9 Pro Comp extreme alloys.http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=40816.0

4DEES

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jul 20, 2005, 06:59:43 PM »
he is running fullwidths though
true, but weight of rimms and tires also helps.
 www.rockbrawlers.com 

KWP

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 878
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Ghost Hunter
    • View Profile
    • East Central Oklahoma Paranormal Society
« Reply #24 on: Jul 20, 2005, 07:18:00 PM »
 I personally like my f150's. I know the weight of my runner helps when it comes to flexing but they ride like a caddy on the road, I was amazed. Chevies are just too long and stiff, they have to be at the point of being worn out before they even flex good without having a double shackle in my opinion. Some people swear by them though. :dunno:
88 Toyota truck ( Under Construction ) Dana 60's front and rear 5.38's, welded diffs, 3inch Downey rears up front,one link rear with aerostar coils rolling on 39.5x16.50/17 Pittbull Rockers and 17x9 Pro Comp extreme alloys.http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=40816.0

4DEES

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jul 20, 2005, 09:17:08 PM »
I personally like my f150's. I know the weight of my runner helps when it comes to flexing but they ride like a caddy on the road, I was amazed. Chevies are just too long and stiff, they have to be at the point of being worn out before they even flex good without having a double shackle in my opinion. Some people swear by them though. :dunno:
well,I have friends that have said they are the :pokinit:,and friends that say they suck a$$. I've personally seen them work good,but also it's all on how you set them up so  :dunno:
 www.rockbrawlers.com 

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jul 21, 2005, 10:32:05 AM »
yea,,its how there set up and how the weight of the rig is dipursed..
personally I think they work better the newer they are,,I got enough lift and flex  out of mine and they were almost new..
someone asked for pics..

thats a 40 in swamper my front it on..

I only had 35;s in this pic,,but i like the ride and flex of my chevies..a bit on the long side,,but oh well,,they slide on rocks just fine.They will work till it gets a 4link..

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile

Wyatt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '05
  • I get stuck alot
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jul 25, 2005, 09:41:07 PM »
Despite everyones adamant warnings  :nonono:  to stay away from double shackles and after hearing all the horror stories about unloading and wheelhop   :sheerterror:   I did it anyway because I was too cheap and I didnt think I had room to move my shackle mount rearward  :shake_head: .  But I have been pleased with them.  No unloading on steep declines even when I was running no shocks  :thumbs: .  So, am I the only one, or is there anyone else who is happy with their double shackle setup?

Well, I must eat my words and say I am not happy with them after all.  I do believe that my double shackles destroyed my beautiful 82 yesterday.  I started to back up on a hill and the next thing I knew, my truck was doing a lazy roll sideways onto the roof.  Crushed the cab and windshield and shook me up pretty good.  I'm baffled ast to how it occured since I was not off camber and the hill wasn't too steep.  The only thing I can think of is that one of my back tires backed against something, causing the shackles to force open and lift one side way up in the air. I don't know.  I no longer endorse double shackles to say the least.
-Wyatt

www.expeditionutah.com

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jul 25, 2005, 09:42:50 PM »
 :worthless: