Author Topic: EFI Donor Truck Has ECT Auto Tranny: Good or Bad?  (Read 2356 times)

wrenchtech

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -14
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • WrenchTech: Content for Backyard Fabricators & Homeshop Mechanics
EFI Donor Truck Has ECT Auto Tranny: Good or Bad?
« on: Jul 06, 2005, 11:42:29 PM »
I bought a rusted out '89 4runner to use as a donor for EFI for my '84 Xtra Cab. I knew that it had an automatic tranny, but now I'm hearing that,  because it has an ECT type automatic,  the '89's ECU and wiring harness might not work with a manual transmission. I was prepared for the fact that I would need  to get a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) adapter to put between my 5 speed and the speedo cable on my R151 tranny (2 pulse or 4 pulse VSS?. I'm not sure). Can this stuff work in my '84? -- Matt
1999 4runner SR5, 3.4, auto, Horizon Blue

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
You shouldnt need anything to modify the speedo cable.  It shoudl just go right together with no speed sensor at all.  The only thing Id even worry about is thinning out the wiring harness out a bit.  You'll have to change a few plugs if you want to have the reverse lights to work.  The tranny has its own computer hidden under the console for hte shifter so the 'puter for the engine should be the same.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

wrenchtech [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
It shoudl just go right together with no speed sensor at all.  The only thing Id even worry about is thinning out the wiring harness out a bit.  You'll have to change a few plugs if you want to have the reverse lights to work.  The tranny has its own computer hidden under the console for hte shifter so the 'puter for the engine should be the same.

So, even though the donor  ECU has a wire for a Vehicle Speed Sensor, it will run just fine without one!!? That would be good news if true.

My strategy has been to keep as much of my ''84 chassis wiring as possible. I am thinking I can  make a second harness out of the '89 engine and chassis harnesses just to run the 22RE (splicing into what I need form the original harness).  The '84 has  an SR5 instrument cluster. the donor is a dlx with the simplified instrument layout. . I am trying to figure out how to wire this up so I can use the SR5 cluster. I figure if I need a "check engine" light I can wire an aftermarket light or use the ECT light that was in one of the switch openings above the radio.

I have  factory service and electrical  manuals on order. Hopefully I'll know more after careful study of those.  -- Matt
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2005, 12:43:22 PM by wrenchtech »

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Why not just swap the harness out of the runner into the truck?  Its really not nearly as hard as it sounds trust me Ive done it...
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Why not just swap the harness out of the runner into the truck?  Its really not nearly as hard as it sounds trust me Ive done it...

Yeah, read the $300 thread :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

wrenchtech [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

What about the instrument cluster? Mine has gauges; the runner has idiot lights. Aren't  the plugs for the cluster and the senders different.?

wrenchtech [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Yeah, read the $300 thread :thumbs:

I tried to find it. There are a lot of $300 threads. Where is the one you are talking about?