Author Topic: HELP!!!!  (Read 6010 times)

crawlerdan

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
HELP!!!!
« on: Jun 28, 2005, 08:09:59 AM »
my wife got hit on the freeway yesterday in my 99 saturn coupe. it is so far past a total loss that i dont know what to call it, the problem is, the car isnt worth a dime, and i owned a salvage title on it already. what can i do to recover some money to try and replace the car, also, she was hurt in the accident, how do we recover med. compensation? help! were poor! :rivers:

supermat

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -105
  • Male Posts: 60
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • www.calfishing.com
Re: HELP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2005, 08:22:28 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that! Unfortunately I'm just good at crashing them, not getting money back out. But you'll both be in my prayers. Keep us updated on what happens.

Matt

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2005, 08:28:35 AM »
 :thumbs:

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2005, 08:31:58 AM »
Have you talked to your insurance company...they should be able to walk you through this step by step, and their lawyers should be dealing with recovery and compensation...that is part of what you pay them for.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

sloyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 251
  • Male Posts: 818
  • Member since Mar '05
  • 1/4TiLTKrawlers.Petaluma,Ca. 707-766-9592
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2005, 08:38:34 AM »
try to sue the idiot that hit you.good luck on trying to get money for a totalled car and a salvage title.hope he had insurance

GOOD LUCK
I'm not responsable for my own action's.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2005, 09:07:34 AM »
try to sue the idiot that hit you.
GOOD LUCK

I agree, did they have insurance?  If they're insured and you claim she was injured, they should pay for her medical expenses if not the whole deal (car, medical, whatever else).

Btw, who hit who? They're pretty particular bout how it happened and who really is at fault. 

Good luck with all of it!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2005, 09:25:29 AM »
she was hit by an older lady": eating a doughnut" im not kidding, says it in a police report. as far as the insuance goes, i work at the tow yard and bodyshop that the car was taken to, so i have control of the situation, but its different when its your car, you know, and i have never had to deal with claims ect. never been in an accident, this is her first. the lady was fully covered, but i need enough to replace the car

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2005, 09:30:36 AM »
you should be able to get some help from your ins. com.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Jun 28, 2005, 09:32:21 AM »
The lady was fully covered?

Whether or not your car had salvaged title, the insurance should make sure you have a vehicle and aren't left stranded, whether they rent you a car until they wanna fix ur car, or if they wanna find you another salvaged title car, but I think that if they don't wanna cover the car you can fight it, cuz your wife is out wheels, and it's the old lady's fault.  Salvaged title or not it was reliable wheels.  

Did you talk to her insurance company yet?

Your insurance company should have nothing to do with it if the lady was fully covered, as it wasn't your wife's fault.  If you try to get from them your ins will just go up, that's why you gotta milk the old lady's ins. At least for a set of wheels.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 28, 2005, 09:39:06 AM »
crawlerdan,
    If it is not your fault, the other insurance should cover it.  Your insurance company shouldnt have to do anything, and if the car is repairable, then you could have the other comapny repair it, even if it is more than the car is worth.  Lets see if I can explain this right.

If your car/driver is not at fault, the other insurance company should pay.  This means medical expenses and everything.  If the car is damaged beyond the value of the car, you can still get it repaired, so if a 2k car was hit, and needed 6k worth of repairs, if you want it reapired, they will fix it. If it were your fault, your insurance has a say in it, and may total the car and give you the $$, but the other insurance company doesnt have the right to do so.  Also, know the blue book value, even if it is salvaged, and know what they'll total it for before they do so, you may make more by parting it out :dunno:

I'm not sure what else to tell ya, but good luck, and I'll be prayin for ya :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 28, 2005, 09:43:17 AM »
Well the old lady's insurance should pay for everything.As far as the car goes they are only gonna give you what is worth,which isn't gonna be anywhere near what it actually is.You will need to contact her insurance company to make sure they are starting a claim and then they will send out a agent to discuss settiling with you.They will probably offer you 500 bucks to settle and take care of her medical bills for up to a year.My adivice to you is take it to court.DO NOT SETTLE WITH THEM.It is in their best interest to settle not yours.Get yourself a good accident attorney and go from there.Regardless of how innocent the little old lady was,her insurance company will try every way to screw you they can.About 2 2/2 yrs ago my wife was in a head on collision.She was travelling about 35 and he was probably going about the same.He said he was turned around looking at some woman and wondering if she needed any help getting a box out of the back of her suv.I think he was just lookin at her  :moon: ,but anyway we ended up settling for $1700 and they had to cover her medical cost's for up to a year for anything related to the accident.We only got 1400 out of our 93 taurus which wasn't bad considering what I had in it,but it was no where near enough to replace it.
87 4runner 350 with custom dent package. 
My budget beater

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 28, 2005, 10:08:50 AM »
well, i think that im gonna be a richard, i have no choice, the cars blue book was 2976.00 and we have 17,765.00 worth of damage, not counting labor rates! and it was  a great car, 37mpg, paid for, 90,000 miles, we loved it, im gonna sue for"comporable loss value", so im making them buy us another 99 saturn coupe or equivelent, based on my judgement. my dad is a dmv lawyer in cali so as far as legality goes, i got that covered and the other ins. company will be crying in a day or two. mess with my woman or my car and i get real mean real fast, and i guess thats what it takes these days, its sad. :headshake:

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 28, 2005, 10:22:52 AM »
you should be covered by the person at faults insurance and if she didnt have any you should still be covered by yours, as your ins. co. will go after her for reimbursement. Make sure your wife gets all the treatment she needs, rehabilition etc before you sign off on anything, which like in my case is still active from an accident 2 years ago, just now going thru settlement negotiations. glad shes OK and will be taken care of.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #13 on: Jun 28, 2005, 10:25:06 AM »
well, i think that im gonna be a richard, i have no choice, the cars blue book was 2976.00 and we have 17,765.00 worth of damage, not counting labor rates! and it was  a great car, 37mpg, paid for, 90,000 miles, we loved it, im gonna sue for"comporable loss value", so im making them buy us another 99 saturn coupe or equivelent, based on my judgement. my dad is a dmv lawyer in cali so as far as legality goes, i got that covered and the other ins. company will be crying in a day or two. mess with my woman or my car and i get real mean real fast, and i guess thats what it takes these days, its sad. :headshake:

Good for you, and good luck!!

I can almost guarantee your wife will end up in Physical Therapy.  Even little fender bender victims end up in it, all the time.  Don't short her on whatever medical she needs, and make them pay for it  :beerchug: Hope she's okay!

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 28, 2005, 10:55:26 AM »
thanks yall! :thumbs:

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 28, 2005, 11:53:51 AM »
The type of insurance that you carry on your auto's does not affect the outcome of an accident that you don't cause.  The insurance company for the party at fault is liable.  The minimum legal insurance is LIability that pays for medical and damage to other peoples property, just not the car of the person at fault.  If the lady was uninsured, hopefully you are covered for that.  You should get whatever the wholesale value is for your car, propobably not much.  I think that they are required to restore you to "equal" standing of where you were prior to the accident, but there are so many loopholes that this doesn't usually happen.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 28, 2005, 02:05:41 PM »
How's your wife. Hope she's OK.

Erik :usa:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 28, 2005, 02:24:57 PM »
we spent the night in the hospital, she has a sprained neck, and a mild concussion. but i think shell be ok

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 28, 2005, 08:00:13 PM »
Hope your wife is better..The ins will pay for a rental car untill they make a settlement claim,,after that they will no longer pay for the car,,that don't mean you have to settle..By law thats only how long they have to pay for the rental..Just don't let them fawkya..It might be fully worth to seek legal advise just in case..Most law offices will give ya a freebie visit..Then go from there...
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #19 on: Jun 28, 2005, 08:56:48 PM »
My wife went through this about 2 years ago, talk with her insurance co. and find out what they plan on doing about your wife's injuries. As to your car since it is a salvage all insurance companies value it as worthless so you probably won't get much for it. Push her insurance real hard on your wife's injuries though and don't wait too long before getting legal help. Yeah you'll lose some of the settlement money but sometimes it's worth it. Some are better about settling than others though, but if it is State Farm go directly to your lawyer, they were the company that the woman that hit my wife had and we would have been screwed by them if we didn't. In the end we got the full value of the policy due to my wife's injuries.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #20 on: Jun 28, 2005, 09:08:18 PM »
we spent the night in the hospital, she has a sprained neck, and a mild concussion. but i think shell be ok

Ouch.  I've sprained my neck before and it is miserable

Give your wife my condolences :therethere:

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #21 on: Jun 28, 2005, 09:16:49 PM »
i just finished goin through this crap yesturday. hope ur wife gets to feeling better, since she has a concussion watch her carefully when she gets back from the hospital for any signs of nausia, dialated pupils, or extreme dizziness. ur gonna have to look at kelly blue book and rate your car as perfect condition because every insurance company is going to try to reduce whatever number you give them for its value, what they tried to do to me. tried to pay me only 1100 for my 85 nissan pickup when i got hit by a suburban doin 70. managed to get 1500, so once you tell the insurance the kbb price of your car IN PERFECT SHAPE then be prepared to argue with them about the price because they will do everything they can to rate it as a lower quality vehicle
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jun 28, 2005, 09:18:12 PM »
will do, thanks for the love yall

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jun 29, 2005, 07:12:54 AM »
her pain seems to be getting worse, ive had her begin a "pain diary" so that everything is documented. not we have to go after loss of wages because she is now limited to part time at work :mad:

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #24 on: Jun 29, 2005, 01:11:11 PM »
is the pain in her head or her neck increasing? if its in her head then they need to do an mri or a cat scan. make sure that when all the bills are recorded after each treatment that u send them to the insurance company so u dont have to pay a dime. tell her that we're all hoping that she gets better real soon!

USAF EOD tech

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jun 29, 2005, 01:24:21 PM »
is the pain in her head or her neck increasing? if its in her head then they need to do an mri or a cat scan

Actually, it's very normal to have increased pain the next day, and even for a couple days afterwards. doen't really need a CT or MRI unless it's associated with neurological findings (dizziness, visual changes, persistant vomiting, or problems with balance, coordination or concentration). Hopefully her doc sent her home with NSAID's (Ibuprofen, naprosyn etc) and something stronger for pain like Vicodin. I would also recommend an muscle relaxant (Skelaxin, Flexeril), as the majority of the pain comes from muscle spasm and irritation, and these 3 meds help alot.

The other part of the equation is to use ice liberally. Every place that hurts (neck, back, shoulders, etc). 20min every hour or so. After about 3-4 days, add heat (ice for 5-10 minutes, then heat for 5-10 minutes then ice again for 5-10 minutes) 3-4 times per day (breakfast, lunch, dinner and bedtime). She should also do some gentle stretches and exercises to get her muscles back in use. Ask her doc about some physical therapy, as it is usually very helpful.

Keep in contact with her doc, and make sure she has follow up visits so that if she is getting worse, or not progressing, he can pursue it and give appropriate treatment. It is very normal for this to take 2-3 weeks before she is feeling better, and sometimes 6-9 weeks for it to completley resolve.

Hope this helps...

Erik  :usa:

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #26 on: Jun 29, 2005, 01:28:45 PM »
very true, u might wanna try to softly massage the sore spots as well after the ice/heat treatments, helps relax the muscles even more. just make sure to be gentle tho until she's all healed up.

USAF EOD tech

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jun 29, 2005, 01:48:50 PM »
WE GOT SENT HOME WITH ENOUGH PILLS TO LAST ME...........A DAY, AND THATS ALOT, SO WEVE BEEN DOING MUSCLE RELAXERS BEFORE BED AND VICODIN IN THE MORNIN.

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jun 29, 2005, 03:30:09 PM »
very true, u might wanna try to softly massage the sore spots as well after the ice/heat treatments, helps relax the muscles even more. just make sure to be gentle tho until she's all healed up.

Good idea. I would wait a few days before starting this though, as the tissue is very irritated, and sometimes massage can irritate it more. Give it 4-5 days, then start the massage. I would also ice it afterwards, as it helps to relieve the inflammation.

WE GOT SENT HOME WITH ENOUGH PILLS TO LAST ME...........A DAY, AND THATS ALOT, SO WEVE BEEN DOING MUSCLE RELAXERS BEFORE BED AND VICODIN IN THE MORNIN

I would recommend using the muscle relaxant regularly for the first week or so, and depending on how she's feeling you can then drop it to as needed. Vicodin is a very good pain reliever, but all it does is cover the pain, and does not address the reason why the pain is there. Try to manage it with the NSAID and muscle relaxant, as these address the real problem, and use the Vicodin only as needed.

Good Luck...let me know if you have any other questions, I'll do my best to help.

Erik :usa:

crawlerdan [OP]

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jun 29, 2005, 07:53:38 PM »
heres the car, i realize that it doesnt look THAT bad, but it is, the frame structure is colapsed, and the suspension is folded. the lady claimed that she was " doing 7 or 8 mph" :nope: