Author Topic: Composite or Alum. fairlead for winch ??  (Read 1881 times)

nu106

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Composite or Alum. fairlead for winch ??
« on: Jun 15, 2005, 09:04:59 PM »
has anyone ever use a composite or alum fairlead with a steel cable winch.. 

I really dont want to dish out the 200+ for synthetic line when my cable is just fine...
̿̾ͮͧͣ̍͛̽ͨ͏̬̲̮̦̖͓͇̺̥̪̖͡ͅ ̸̢͚̻̞͔͇̞̲͛̀͒ͪ̇̌̓̋ͅ ͪ̉ͯ̔̄̾ͥͬͮ҉̸͔̥̤͓̙̙̠̺̕ ̴̡̢̳̮͎̙̤̳́̄̋͋ͪ̇͋̓͋͐ͬ̾ͨ̋́̌̌͟͞ ̗̹̲̬̬̭̼̹͔̗̽ͫ͋͐ͮ̎̏ͭ͑ͨ̔̿͒̔ͦ͛́̀́́̚͞͠ ͚̻̱͎̙̗̎̋̄̓ͪ̏ͣ͊ͮͯ̂̎̋͌͆̐̀̀ ̨͙̬̼̙̲̳̟̿ͭ͆̈͋̄̍ͭ͟ ̵̡̛̙̯̺̪̲̙̱̳̜̲̮͚̘̥͙̦͆ͮ͒̑͒ͤͪ͐́͘ͅ ̧̡̨͓̪̬̘̊̎ͧ͌͒̂̏̄̀͢ ̡̡̤͔͓̙̩͕͓̲̥̰̥̹͇̉̑͛̒̀ͭͩ̐̀ ̂͂ͪ̌͆̐ͯͣ͊̾̿̆̎҉̭̭͎͓̤̤͇͕̯̫̭̟͇͢͡͠ ̸̻̩̬̳̘͍̑ͮͭ̏̿͆̒̅͛̈͞ͅ▲̴̷͙̫͚̣̝͔͇̰̜͎̖͓̣͕̫̺̮̉̅ͥͤ͋̅ͦͬ͌͛̇̂͞͠ͅ
̸̢̧̮͇̠̮̖͋ͭ̈͂ͦ͛̚͢͝ ̸̧̫̗̥͉̝͇̌͛ͭͩ͌͊ͮ̃̌ͮ̄̑͂ͤ̕̕͢ ̶̨̩͍̝̮͙̤͉͎̙̠̪͖̩̠͚̜̹̋̀̇̈̓͊͊̐̆̾̎ͧ̐͋̿̈ͥ́̚̚ ̂̒̉ͩͧ̔̈ͯ̉͝҉̢̣͇̜͓͘ ̴̠̞͙̱̯̗͍̠͎̺̘̠̟͙ͭ̑̔̃́ͮ̒ͪͭ͛ͣ̈͆͠͡ ̶̷̭̜͙̙̜̲͉̝̝͋ͬͨͧ ̢ͦ̄̎̏̄̈́̈́̔ͥ̅̕͞͏̝͓̟̣̼͉̬̪̣̼̪͎͝ ͬ̉͂҉̴͓̜͇̥̬͕̼̤̪̻̭̼̟̲̼̭͚͘͟͠ ̭̲̻̭̖̭̖͎͔̦̣̱͔̘̖͔͉̎̽ͤ̔̅̈ͣͩ͗ͨͮ̐̈́̇̅ͮͪ̚͘͟͠ͅͅ ̴̺͔̯͈̓̾̅̓̑ͮ̒͐ͫ̈́̌͛́̈͊̇ͯ͊́͝

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
Re: Composite or Alum. fairlead for winch ??
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2005, 10:01:56 PM »
I've never used one but you can pretty much guarantee that it will eat it up especially when your pulling against it.
87 4runner 350 with custom dent package. 
My budget beater

KYOTA

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2005, 10:05:48 PM »
why? do you not have a fairlead? find a roller or a CAST IRON Hawse fairlead, save the aluminum for when you get synthetic line.

robinhood4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -180
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2005, 12:51:54 PM »
Well, according to sky you can use the plastic one with steel cable.  I don't have any experience with it.

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/welcome.htm
Scroll down.
Quote from: cruzila
Well, if the ideal of excluding the lesser equipped (stock or otherwise) is accepted... there is no fundamental difference between that and a Sierra CLub ideal of exclusion. If we cannot embrace the 4wheel users as a whole. We are not fighting for access. I cannot be that shortsighted

79-83earlyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 18
  • Male Posts: 181
  • Member since May '05
  • Earlyota
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 2005, 02:49:27 PM »
why? do you not have a fairlead? find a roller or a CAST IRON Hawse fairlead, save the aluminum for when you get synthetic line.

X2....I would use a roller with any and all cable, and when you have the money saved, the best set-up is an aluminum hawse with synthetic rope.  Wouldn't pair cable with an aluminum hawse though.  Just my :twocents:

79-83earlyota...... :)

nu106 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2005, 07:08:50 PM »

I do have a roller fairlead, its just  the bumpers I'm building have a reciever hitch front and back so I can move the winch around ... I'm fat and lazy , so I wanna keep the winch as light as possible with still being on a buget...
̿̾ͮͧͣ̍͛̽ͨ͏̬̲̮̦̖͓͇̺̥̪̖͡ͅ ̸̢͚̻̞͔͇̞̲͛̀͒ͪ̇̌̓̋ͅ ͪ̉ͯ̔̄̾ͥͬͮ҉̸͔̥̤͓̙̙̠̺̕ ̴̡̢̳̮͎̙̤̳́̄̋͋ͪ̇͋̓͋͐ͬ̾ͨ̋́̌̌͟͞ ̗̹̲̬̬̭̼̹͔̗̽ͫ͋͐ͮ̎̏ͭ͑ͨ̔̿͒̔ͦ͛́̀́́̚͞͠ ͚̻̱͎̙̗̎̋̄̓ͪ̏ͣ͊ͮͯ̂̎̋͌͆̐̀̀ ̨͙̬̼̙̲̳̟̿ͭ͆̈͋̄̍ͭ͟ ̵̡̛̙̯̺̪̲̙̱̳̜̲̮͚̘̥͙̦͆ͮ͒̑͒ͤͪ͐́͘ͅ ̧̡̨͓̪̬̘̊̎ͧ͌͒̂̏̄̀͢ ̡̡̤͔͓̙̩͕͓̲̥̰̥̹͇̉̑͛̒̀ͭͩ̐̀ ̂͂ͪ̌͆̐ͯͣ͊̾̿̆̎҉̭̭͎͓̤̤͇͕̯̫̭̟͇͢͡͠ ̸̻̩̬̳̘͍̑ͮͭ̏̿͆̒̅͛̈͞ͅ▲̴̷͙̫͚̣̝͔͇̰̜͎̖͓̣͕̫̺̮̉̅ͥͤ͋̅ͦͬ͌͛̇̂͞͠ͅ
̸̢̧̮͇̠̮̖͋ͭ̈͂ͦ͛̚͢͝ ̸̧̫̗̥͉̝͇̌͛ͭͩ͌͊ͮ̃̌ͮ̄̑͂ͤ̕̕͢ ̶̨̩͍̝̮͙̤͉͎̙̠̪͖̩̠͚̜̹̋̀̇̈̓͊͊̐̆̾̎ͧ̐͋̿̈ͥ́̚̚ ̂̒̉ͩͧ̔̈ͯ̉͝҉̢̣͇̜͓͘ ̴̠̞͙̱̯̗͍̠͎̺̘̠̟͙ͭ̑̔̃́ͮ̒ͪͭ͛ͣ̈͆͠͡ ̶̷̭̜͙̙̜̲͉̝̝͋ͬͨͧ ̢ͦ̄̎̏̄̈́̈́̔ͥ̅̕͞͏̝͓̟̣̼͉̬̪̣̼̪͎͝ ͬ̉͂҉̴͓̜͇̥̬͕̼̤̪̻̭̼̟̲̼̭͚͘͟͠ ̭̲̻̭̖̭̖͎͔̦̣̱͔̘̖͔͉̎̽ͤ̔̅̈ͣͩ͗ͨͮ̐̈́̇̅ͮͪ̚͘͟͠ͅͅ ̴̺͔̯͈̓̾̅̓̑ͮ̒͐ͫ̈́̌͛́̈͊̇ͯ͊́͝

KYOTA

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 24, 2005, 07:20:25 PM »
well I guarantee you you're not going to be able to tell the difference between an aluminum and a cast fairlead when packing a multi-mount around :greengrin: