Author Topic: Has anyone ever installed an AC compressor on a 22RE to be used for air conditio  (Read 2657 times)

FLIP.FLOP

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
So I've got a 1992 extracab that I'd like to have a good working AC.  I've called around to the local pick and pulls and to get just the AC unit not including wiring, coolant, and hoses I'm looking at about $135...so just guestimating on the rest of the stuff I'm imaganing it couldn't be anymore than $400.

Does anyone know what all is needed to make this convertion work...or can help direct me to some sort of link.  I've tried google and some other search engines, but all I found was people converting the AC unit to "on board air"...which would be nice but right know I'd just like to get the AC working.

Thanks for any help suggestions, thoughts....

FLIP.FLOP

No Power

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 200
  • Male Posts: 235
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Couple of things that you will need are
A/C condensor
A/C condensor fan
A/C reciever/dryer
A/C compressor
The A/c lines
and the in cab box to hook up to your blower fan.
That should be all the big parts you should need.
I might be forgeting something though.
Good luck with the A/C build-up
Roll me back over !!!

FLIP.FLOP [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Couple of things that you will need are
A/C condensor
A/C condensor fan
A/C reciever/dryer
A/C compressor
The A/c lines
and the in cab box to hook up to your blower fan.
That should be all the big parts you should need.
I might be forgeting something though.
Good luck with the A/C build-up

Thanks thats exactly what I was looking for.  I'm getting to old for the "windows down" AC.  It just doesn't work as well as it did in High School  :beerchug:

FLIP.FLOP

No Power

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 200
  • Male Posts: 235
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I understand and glad I could be of some help :thumbs:
Roll me back over !!!

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
The stock fan will double as a condenser fan, so you won't need that.  If it runs too hot with ac, then you can put a pusher fan on it and wire it to the ac clutch circuit to come with the ac.  You will need on the other hand an evaporator, the heater core like unit inside the truck.  It installs between the blower box and the heater core/air distribution box.  It usually requires a new evaporator box to fit in, the trucks without ac just had a box to take up the gap, and I don't think an evaporator can be added to it. 

You'll want to get new o-rings for all the fittings, so while you are there get the r134a retrofit kit.  That is unless the donor is already r134a.  Last time I checked with parts, r134a was $1.00/ounce as opposed to r12 at $3.00/ounce.  And it is more enviromentally friendly. . .

You will also need the a/c switch, associated wiring/relays.  Also needed would be the a/c idle up valve to raise idle speed when the compressor clutch comes on.  I see those on ebay all the time.  Oh yeah, don't forget the compressor bracket.

Best bet is to find a donor truck and get all the parts at once.  Try to stay away from systems that have been open for a while, dirt and moisture can accumulate in the system.

Thumper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 63
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
They want 135 for just the compressor? wow ive got a good one id sell too ya how much u looking too spend?
pm me
adam
If you didn't make it, and it ain't broke, you didn't try hard enough.