Author Topic: Tire Advice  (Read 2665 times)

KWP

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 878
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Ghost Hunter
    • View Profile
    • East Central Oklahoma Paranormal Society
Tire Advice
« on: May 05, 2005, 08:40:38 PM »
Well fellers here in a few weeks my runner is going to have 1 ton axles under it hopefully :crossed: what I was wondering is what do you think my best tire option would be?I was thinking either 38.5 tslsx or 39.5 irok this truck will still be driven daily so I want the best wearing truest tire, opinions please.
88 Toyota truck ( Under Construction ) Dana 60's front and rear 5.38's, welded diffs, 3inch Downey rears up front,one link rear with aerostar coils rolling on 39.5x16.50/17 Pittbull Rockers and 17x9 Pro Comp extreme alloys.http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=40816.0

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
Re: Tire Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 09:03:12 PM »
Bigger is better!  but not for the road.

No Power

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 200
  • Male Posts: 235
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 10:20:54 PM »
I have never used tires that big.
However the iroks will prolly balance better and wear
better on the street.
This is just my :twocents:
Let us know what you go with and how the axle swap goes.
Roll me back over !!!

waverider

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -166
  • Male Posts: 47
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
    • Lucky 13 Off Road
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 10:31:13 PM »
I wouldn't put IROKs on it.  My 36" IROKs are very soft and they are wearing very fast.  My rig is not a DD and I do punish the tires on the trails, but I would think the SX's would be slightly better on the street.

Why not 40" MTR's?

37" or 40" X-terrains would probably be your best bet for a DD

:dunno:

No Power

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 200
  • Male Posts: 235
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 10:41:20 PM »
If this truck is your daily driver then why not go with some swamper SSR's
I got like 30k out of my SSR's which is really good for the kind of tire it is.
I don't know what the iroks wear like so I can't compare.
However I can say that regular swampers wear pretty fast with alot
of street driving at least the one's I've delt with did. (ltb's, boggers, thornturds besides ssr's)
Roll me back over !!!

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 04:59:16 PM »
I dont know how long those 40" X-terrains last but for $650 ea. they had better last at least 40-50k.  The tsl's do not wear as fast as the i-rocks because the i-rocks are softer and more rounded on top.  Tsl's are good, the X-terrains did not do so well in washington mud or the oregon sand, but on the rocks and in the snow they were really good. 

KWP [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Ghost Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 09:34:56 PM »
I have been running 35 inch x terrains now for a while and you cant wear these things out.The 40's are just way to expensive.I would like to run the sx's if they will wear decent on the road and the price is right to.
88 Toyota truck ( Under Construction ) Dana 60's front and rear 5.38's, welded diffs, 3inch Downey rears up front,one link rear with aerostar coils rolling on 39.5x16.50/17 Pittbull Rockers and 17x9 Pro Comp extreme alloys.http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=40816.0

UNBREAKABLE

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Male Posts: 2,028
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Yeah, I guess you could say I'm a RockStar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 08:11:26 PM »
TSL's
That's how I roll

KWP [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Ghost Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 07:50:50 AM »
wll going full width just got pushed to the back burner for a while due money constraints.I still want to step up to a 38, could stock toy axles handle 38 inch tsl"s without to much breakage? I plan to put in some 30 spline longs and cromo's a little later.Overall I think that would be the cheapest and easiest rout.

KWP [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Ghost Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 04:15:36 PM »
Those of yall running 37 MTR's, how well do the tires wear and how good are they in the rocks and mud? Do the tires measure a true 37 inches?

Makman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 98
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 06:57:49 PM »
The
If this truck is your daily driver then why not go with some swamper SSR's
I got like 30k out of my SSR's which is really good for the kind of tire it is.
I don't know what the iroks wear like so I can't compare.
However I can say that regular swampers wear pretty fast with alot
of street driving at least the one's I've delt with did. (ltb's, boggers, thornturds besides ssr's)

My 32" SSR's have about 45k and still have a little (very little) life left in them.  They were great for the first 20k and then started adopting more and more swamper traits...noise, vibration, flat spots (yes, flats spots on a radial for a few minutes).  I ran them at about 22 psi to get even tread wear and it seems to have helped.  They did well in general but frosty roads and ice involve a definite pucker factor. If the temperature falls below 32 degrees, I just  :crossed: and tried to keep it rubber side down.  Although they do hook up well on a gravel or snow covered shoulder which is a good feature should the paved sections get too slippery.  The cops may not appreciate this technique very much but sometimes you just do what you gotta do.

As far as 38" swampers are concerned, I've got friends that run 36's all the time with good results and minimal breakage.  At least not excessive.
If it never breaks, people can only speculate how much it was overbuilt.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 10:11:01 AM »
Those of yall running 37 MTR's, how well do the tires wear and how good are they in the rocks and mud? Do the tires measure a true 37 inches?

Tires wear extremely well.  I've got over 40k on mine, and they are at about 20%  They work well in everything I have thrown at them, they cleaned well in mud, and they've got a dcent grip for rocks even at 20%  I think they measure about a 35.5-36 not too bad.  One thing I like about them is they preform very well not aired down. At 30psi rear and 35 front, i've never had problems :dunno: is that what you wanted to know?
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

waverider

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -166
  • Male Posts: 47
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
    • Lucky 13 Off Road
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 02:38:30 PM »
Every MTR I have ever seen on a wet, muddy trail has suck major ass.  I can't recommend them for use on muddy trails.

KWP [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Ghost Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 06:05:31 PM »
Tires wear extremely well.  I've got over 40k on mine, and they are at about 20%  They work well in everything I have thrown at them, they cleaned well in mud, and they've got a dcent grip for rocks even at 20%  I think they measure about a 35.5-36 not too bad.  One thing I like about them is they preform very well not aired down. At 30psi rear and 35 front, i've never had problems :dunno: is that what you wanted to know?
Thanks man thats exactly what I wanted to know. They sound like they will be my next set of tires.I just need something thats going to wear well on the highway and do good on the trail since my truck pulls double duty.

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 08:06:24 PM »
have you considered the Maxxis Creepy Crawler in a 37" ? My next set will be either be the Creepy Crawlers or 38" SX's oh BTW I run MTRs now and agree with Wave they arent great in the mud but that would have to be their only downfall