Author Topic: I'm worried about our childrens brains!!!  (Read 15630 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: I'm worried about our childrens brains!!!
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2005, 10:46:33 AM »
I did not know that, thanks :D
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2005, 10:55:39 AM »
I did not know that, thanks :D
A lot of people dont.  Evolutionists dont want you to know that.  Darwin was actually raised in a christian home, but got fed up with the church telling him the earth was created in 7 days literally, when there was physical evidence pointing out other wise.  He didnt set ot to disprove God, just to find some answers. 

I was talkin to spotter about this last night, and se told me about another theory I havent heard before.  I guess there is theory that the flood (the whole Noah story) was so uick and caused so many problems so rapidly that it screwed up the half lifes and such, and that is why the earth appears so old and what not.  I dont think it is entirely true, but it is an interesting theory
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

gonzo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 2000
  • Male Posts: 734
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2005, 11:36:59 AM »
The Noah story is being looked at more and more here lately.  Some are saying that the flood was not world wide, but very isolated.
They said that having two of every kind of animal was impossible.  Then they found that the real story was not to have two of every animal but only selected animals.  Clean animals, unclean animals, so many foul, etc.  They got this information from another book or scroll that was just found.  It is very ineresting how things change as "new" documents are found.  I believe they said that the story of Noah was told by almost every religion.  There were some differences in the stories but they all referenced a flood and an arch with animals as cargo.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2005, 11:41:04 AM »
The Noah story is being looked at more and more here lately.  Some are saying that the flood was not world wide, but very isolated.
They said that having two of every kind of animal was impossible.  Then they found that the real story was not to have two of every animal but only selected animals.  Clean animals, unclean animals, so many foul, etc.  They got this information from another book or scroll that was just found.  It is very ineresting how things change as "new" documents are found.  I believe they said that the story of Noah was told by almost every religion.  There were some differences in the stories but they all referenced a flood and an arch with animals as cargo.

Didnt you ever wonder what happened to the Unicorns? :hahaha:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

CTENG in KS [OP]

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2005, 11:41:48 AM »

...but it is impossible to ever explain it all. :twocents:

That is quite the leap...
1st step:  Explaining the big bang...with advances in string theory, particularly 11 dimensional Supergravity, we are closer than ever to reconciling macrophysics and particle physics.  With these advances we can come closer to calculating the movements of molecules in the first moments of the universes inseption.  

BD: The primordial ooze thing is the evolution of the first bacterium, not the earth.

Hold on I have to do some work, will be back with Step 2 in a few...   :hammerhead:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2005, 11:44:47 AM »

BD: The primordial ooze thing is the evolution of the first bacterium, not the earth.

yeah, I know, I ust kinda threw it all together, guess I dint make it clear enough :smack:

-Ronald Reagan

gonzo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2005, 11:51:18 AM »
Didnt you ever wonder what happened to the Unicorns? :hahaha:

:headscratch:   :lipsrsealed:  different topic  :think: :dunno:

CTENG in KS [OP]

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2005, 12:07:10 PM »
Here's a good one...loog up the arguments surrounding the Cambrian Explosion...
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

gonzo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2005, 12:11:25 PM »

I got this from a search. 

The Cambrian Period marks an important point in the history of life on earth; it is the time when most of the major groups of animals first appear in the fossil record. This event is sometimes called the "Cambrian Explosion", because of the relatively short time over which this diversity of forms appears. It was once thought that the Cambrian rocks contained the first and oldest fossil animals, but these are now to be found in the earlier Vendian strata.

:think:

gonzo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2005, 12:19:25 PM »
I could see where the "sudden" appearance of any living thing would be cause for discussion. Here is a web sight to do a google search from.  http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/index.html  I didn't see any of the arguments just discussion.

CTENG in KS [OP]

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2005, 12:20:15 PM »
Yup, big topic of debate for non-evolutionaries...they feel this "explosion" was God-related.  Unfortunately for them there are some good, logical, scientific reasons for the period.

gonzo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2005, 12:36:04 PM »
Maybe "spontaneous generation"? (I know it should be regeneration)  If the conditions are right you can grow just about anything.  Just because the scientist have no evidence of life before that "explosion" doesn't mean it was not there.  It was just overwhelmingly evident after that.  :soapbox: 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 12:42:17 PM by gonzo »

CTENG in KS [OP]

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2005, 12:44:19 PM »
There is evidence of life before that, but it was mostly algae and bateria.
The explanation for this is that when the atmosphere was first formed...while all this primordial ooze was going on, it was primarily made up of carbon-dioxide.  Therefore the first organisms were those that converted or "breathed" CO2.  They were around for tens of millions of years taking in carbon dioxide and converting in into a little by-product called oxygen. After a while, there was enough oxygen in the atmosphere, and enough O3 (ozone) to cool the planet a few degrees and provide for an environment that could support oxygen "breathing" organisms.  Oxygen breathing organisms tend to be large, more sophisticated creatures and this is what brought on the Cambrian Explosion (primarly).  There are other theories about genetic evolution during this period creating the proper road-map for larger organisms.  The explosion actually lasted about 30 million years and it was during this time that the larger animals that began the lineage to todays oxygen breath   :hammerhead: ing species developed.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2005, 12:56:16 PM »
I just have a hard time seeing how a complex being (animal) could come from essentially bacteria.  We are so complex, that it would take more than a genetic "accident" to make a man, dog, elephant, whatever

-Ronald Reagan

gonzo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2005, 01:09:08 PM »
There is evidence of life before that, but it was mostly algae and bateria.
The explanation for this is that when the atmosphere was first formed...while all this primordial ooze was going on, it was primarily made up of carbon-dioxide. Therefore the first organisms were those that converted or "breathed" CO2. They were around for tens of millions of years taking in carbon dioxide and converting in into a little by-product called oxygen. After a while, there was enough oxygen in the atmosphere, and enough O3 (ozone) to cool the planet a few degrees and provide for an environment that could support oxygen "breathing" organisms. Oxygen breathing organisms tend to be large, more sophisticated creatures and this is what brought on the Cambrian Explosion (primarly). There are other theories about genetic evolution during this period creating the proper road-map for larger organisms. The explosion actually lasted about 30 million years and it was during this time that the larger animals that began the lineage to todays oxygen breath :hammerhead: ing species developed.

I agree.  The mirco organisms would be very happy.  

gonzo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2005, 01:11:43 PM »
I just have a hard time seeing how a complex being (animal) could come from essentially bacteria. We are so complex, that it would take more than a genetic "accident" to make a man, dog, elephant, whatever

There are a lot of very large gaps in the formation of large animals as far as the theory goes.  Very large gaps..... :dunno:

CTENG in KS [OP]

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2005, 01:15:16 PM »
Wouldn't so much call it an accident...the first beings were single cell, simple, had very few "components."  To deal with certain environmental stimuly, they formed mitochondrial, scilia, etc etc.  Then it became beneficial for more than one cell to group together, thus multicellular beings.  These would evolve into colonies that would work together to achieve an instinctual common goal.  Later on instead of existing as groups of identical cells, it became more efficient for some cells in the group to perform one function, while others performed a different function as they shared their singular benefits with the group.  Isn't too hard to imagine where it goes from there...the cells become more and more specialized and are able to support a larger number of cells within the organism.  There form groups within the whole that function as organs...etc, etc, etc.  600 million years later, here we are.   8)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2005, 01:17:28 PM »
Wouldn't so much call it an accident...the first beings were single cell, simple, had very few "components."  To deal with certain environmental stimuly, they formed mitochondrial, scilia, etc etc.  Then it became beneficial for more than one cell to group together, thus multicellular beings.  These would evolve into colonies that would work together to achieve an instinctual common goal.  Later on instead of existing as groups of identical cells, it became more efficient for some cells in the group to perform one function, while others performed a different function as they shared their singular benefits with the group.  Isn't too hard to imagine where it goes from there...the cells become more and more specialized and are able to support a larger number of cells within the organism.  There form groups within the whole that function as organs...etc, etc, etc.  600 million years later, here we are.   8)

How would they have an instinctual common goal?  How can an organism go from no brainwave function at all, to having brainwave function?  especially since when brain cells die, they do not regenrate.  Once dead they are gone.  So how does a non existent thing (brainfunction) come into being, when once it dies, it cannot regenerate?

-Ronald Reagan

CTENG in KS [OP]

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2005, 01:22:19 PM »
The definition of instinct does not necessitate brainwaves, which are nothing more than electrical pulses.  Coral reefs feed instinctually, but you will not find too much for brains in them.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2005, 01:25:26 PM »
yeah i know that, but how does something go from no brain to a brain?  I dont think coral is gonna have a brain in 1 million years

-Ronald Reagan

CTENG in KS [OP]

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2005, 01:27:05 PM »
It seems that when it comes to life, brainwaves, etc. everyone has this mythical, magical view of how it works.  We are really just complicated car engines.  Break it down into the beautifully simple physical interactions that can be described by high school physics and biology, and it isn't that hard to understand how we came to be.
Whether God created the universe, multiverse, yada yada, can be debated all day, but I don't have a single issue being confident in the belief the all life on earth has one, common, single celled ancestor.   :thumbs:

gonzo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2005, 01:30:46 PM »
How would they have an instinctual common goal? How can an organism go from no brainwave function at all, to having brainwave function? especially since when brain cells die, they do not regenerate. Once dead they are gone. So how does a non existent thing (brainfunction) come into being, when once it dies, it cannot regenerate?

At this point in time I don't believe we have the ability to explain the development of brain function with any sort of certainty.  This is why for most people it's easier to just accept that we were created.  No explanation required.

CTENG in KS [OP]

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2005, 01:31:17 PM »
The brain is just another organ.  When the groups of organs in an organism get complexe enough, they require coordination, this the formation of another organ to provide this coordination.  What is a good way for cells to communicate???  They exchange matter...receptors, inhibitors, etc, but a faster, more efficient way is through electricity.  Wouldn't you know that being some 60% water, or whatever it is, organisms are phenomenal conductors of electricity.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2005, 01:33:04 PM »
It seems that when it comes to life, brainwaves, etc. everyone has this mythical, magical view of how it works.  We are really just complicated car engines.  Break it down into the beautifully simple physical interactions that can be described by high school physics and biology, and it isn't that hard to understand how we came to be.
Whether God created the universe, multiverse, yada yada, can be debated all day, but I don't have a single issue being confident in the belief the all life on earth has one, common, single celled ancestor.   :thumbs:

mabye I am just overthinking this, but I still dont see that bridge.   I understand completely the complicated car engine idea, but if you were to put a bunch of car parts in a garage for 1 year or 4.5 billion years, it wouldnt matter, it would still be a pile of car parts.  I dont have mythical view of brainwaves or anything like that, but It doesnt make sense to me to say that something was created from nothing without external assistance, in our case God, in a car's case a mechanic. Especailly in the aspect of the brain, it just doesnt work.  I can buy the muscles and such, and skin cells say, but brainwaves and functions are completely unique to what they do.  and braincells canot be replicated or reproduced, so when they die, they are gone.  If they cant be replicated or reproduced, how did they come about in the first place?

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2005, 01:34:15 PM »
The brain is just another organ.  When the groups of organs in an organism get complexe enough, they require coordination, this the formation of another organ to provide this coordination.  What is a good way for cells to communicate???  They exchange matter...receptors, inhibitors, etc, but a faster, more efficient way is through electricity.  Wouldn't you know that being some 60% water, or whatever it is, organisms are phenomenal conductors of electricity.

absoultely they are.  That is in fact how the heart beats.  It actually produces its own electrical current

-Ronald Reagan

CTENG in KS [OP]

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2005, 01:37:00 PM »
You can generate brain cells out of stem cells.   :gap:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2005, 01:38:40 PM »
You can generate brain cells out of stem cells.   :gap:

smart- :moon:

same type of thing though

-Ronald Reagan

gonzo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2005, 01:40:53 PM »
Yes, a popcorn machine does make popcorn.

CTENG in KS [OP]

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2005, 01:44:25 PM »
 :offtopic:
This isn't the movies!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2005, 01:46:28 PM »
My personal theory in all of this is pretty simple

God created the Earth in 6 days, and on the 7th he rested
The Bible says that "a day to us is a thousand years to God, and a day to God is a thousand years to us":
so the earth doesnt necessarily have to have been created in 6 24 hour periods.
I dont know the Bile like I should, but for the first 3 days, the earth itself and light was formed. this could have taken for simplicity sake 3000 years (God day = 1000 human years)
After that the lst 3 days, organisms were created starting with plants and such and moving up to themost complex (humans) on the last day.
therefore in my opinion, with each "day" adaptions may have ocured, and things changed

that is how I combine evolution with creation.  Right or wrong, it makes sense to me.  as far as I am concerned, I know God created everything, but there is too much evidence for adaption and evolution, to discount and say it is a load of crap.

1 question though?  where did all the cells and stuff come from?  what was the very 1st step?  before the big bang?  before the universe?  something had to have been created somewhere.  a cell just cant pop out of nothingness

-Ronald Reagan