Author Topic: Would you do it? Toyota for Toyota trade...  (Read 8475 times)

79-83earlyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 18
  • Male Posts: 181
  • Member since May '05
  • Earlyota
    • View Profile
Re: Would you do it? Toyota for Toyota trade...
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2005, 09:59:39 PM »
I've always thought the same...that's why i've always felt my '80 with the old body style and my swapped in 22RE EFI motor with the W56 5-speed tranny was the ideal scenario.  Having a fuel-injected rig on the rocks sure makes it nice when you kill the truck on steep inclines or layed over on an obstacle.  I love the body style on the 79-83's, and especially dig the retro round headlights found on 79-80's and some 81's, but the carbed motors always stalled out and couldn't get fuel on the big rocks, so my set up seems perfect for what I like and what i'm doing with the truck.  I must say though.....I saw a guy up in Carnage Canyon, one of the toughest trails here in Colorado, and there was something sweet about seeing a fairly stock 79 with nothing more than 31" tires and a 20R climb the sickest obstacle with his one and only modification of two 4.7 Marlin's --- WOW!  The guy had it up in the 4000-4500 RPM's and was litterally CREEPING over this huge shiat!!!  Amazing.....it almost brought a tear to my eye!

TrackVino

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 1,038
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Rocking and Rollin with Marlin!!!
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2005, 11:16:56 PM »
Keeping your rig sounds like the thing to do. I don't know how you feel about the daily driver, I have a newer Chevy truck I drive everyday, but it is important to have that reliable transportation, if you didn't make it to work, you could loose the job, so then what good would the rock crawler be if you couldn't afford the gas?

If you work in a machine shop, or metal shop it sounds like, why don't you try to do some side work? Ive always found things I can do outside of work to make some extra cash. Hay, go mow some lawns, paint houses, or do some other thing I'm sure you know how to do. I cant believe someone who can build there own rock crawler doesn't know how to do something else, it takes lots of creativity to build their truck.

Anyway's, more props to you for getting out of the dark side when you did, I have peeked a bit overthere, but its a little on the scary side, just get in, read what you have to, then get out!!!
 :welcome:

4.3 headache

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -182
  • Male Posts: 321
  • Member since Aug '03
  • keep goin!!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2005, 11:41:42 PM »
I bought a complete cab & front clip w/doors for 300$ and swapped it out in 8 hours. this after the old cab could not possibly be straightened for a windshield...  however for 300$ u could buy a small 2wd car for a daily driver then your problem's solved  :driving:
all i want is a little more than i'll ever get!!

91 super yoda

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -56
  • Male Posts: 400
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Axe' em Jacks
    • View Profile
    • Old Town Customs
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2005, 11:52:10 PM »
i say keep your trail rig, chicks dig body damage, just put a few bandaids on it, its not any fun to wheel always worrying about getting body damage, it happens whether you want it to or not, i almost hate wheeling with people that worry about there bodies all the time. all of my street queen jeep drivin buddys have a permanent crease in the seat from worrying about body damage. just my  :twocents:  but do what you think is best for you, since it is already solid axle, lifting and locking is fairly innexpensive.

79-83earlyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 18
  • Male Posts: 181
  • Member since May '05
  • Earlyota
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2005, 05:57:41 AM »
Keeping your rig sounds like the thing to do. I don't know how you feel about the daily driver, I have a newer Chevy truck I drive everyday, but it is important to have that reliable transportation, if you didn't make it to work, you could loose the job, so then what good would the rock crawler be if you couldn't afford the gas?

If you work in a machine shop, or metal shop it sounds like, why don't you try to do some side work? Ive always found things I can do outside of work to make some extra cash. Hay, go mow some lawns, paint houses, or do some other thing I'm sure you know how to do. I cant believe someone who can build there own rock crawler doesn't know how to do something else, it takes lots of creativity to build their truck.

Anyway's, more props to you for getting out of the dark side when you did, I have peeked a bit overthere, but its a little on the scary side, just get in, read what you have to, then get out!!!
 :welcome:

yea, I do work on the side, I build tubular rocksliders for 79-05 Toyota pick-ups, 4Runners & Tacomas.  Build 'em out of 1.75" OD, DOM, .120 wall tubing, and sell them for $300, in which I also install them for that price.  I also build cages, bumpers, shock hoops, and tube chassis; you can see the tube chassis I built at the bottom of my home page on my website: www.tubewerx.com 

TrackVino

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 1,038
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Rocking and Rollin with Marlin!!!
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2005, 08:11:45 AM »
Whell there you go, get a customer you can give a deal to, in trade for a lower price, and a used car.