Author Topic: Having steering problems  (Read 1595 times)

David

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 218
  • Male Posts: 263
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Having steering problems
« on: Apr 22, 2005, 08:07:49 PM »
Howdy. I have a problem and need some input. :help:
83 Yota 4x4 SB... Right front tire is worn on the outside one third. When I put the tires in the straight ahead position all looks OK. When I turn the tires full to the left, the right front tire looks as though it is tipped  out at the top. When cornering to the right, the truck tracks pretty well. :driving:  When turning hard to the left the right front seems to want to continue going straight. In fact on pavement in a parking lot with a hard left turn, the tire on the right squeals and leaves tire marks.
If I'm on a dirt road I have to watch my left cornering speed or I'll slide straight ahead.
I've had it in a shop for alignment and to have the problem  checked out. Answer: everything looks OK. Well maybe to them but not to me.

I suspect that it is knuckle problem. I see that Marlin sells a repair kit so I am assuming this is a common repair. What do you guys think, anyone ever have a similar problem and would the kit cure it???
Thank you for any imput

Makman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 98
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Having steering problems
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2005, 09:22:53 PM »
 :headscratch:   I ran out and shot a couple pics of my truck with the tires straight, full left, and full right.  I don't have the cornering problems that you describe but maybe this will show you whether yours looks out of whack for a non-cross-over style steering.
If it never breaks, people can only speculate how much it was overbuilt.

Makman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2005, 09:39:57 PM »
Here's the other three pictures.  I'd recommend lifting the front end of your truck off the ground, check for any excessive tire wobble which could indicate bad wheel bearings, a loose spindle nut, or like you mentioned, bad knuckle bearings.  During the disassembly process, you can progressively check it out but I wouldn't necessarily stop.  There is a chance you have multiple contributors to make a problem like you describe.

If you've never done it, the knuckle rebuild kit from Marlin certainly can't hurt.  I did mine not too long back when I was dropping third members and it wasn't very difficult.  Besides, it's a good chance to take a look at the Birfields, clean the hubs, replace the inner axle seal, and grease everything back up.  While you're at it, you should slap a Marlin High-Steer in it.  I gotta do it to mine.  Only takes $$$.

If you do order parts from Marlin, he's got a fish scale that really does the trick for tightening and checking your spindle nut torque.

David [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 218
  • Male Posts: 263
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2005, 10:28:36 PM »
Makman. A thousand thanks for going to the trouble of taking the photos. It does indeed help. And yes, compared to yours mine is really out of whack. If I turn hard left, the right side tire does not stand up as straight, it tips out like the left tire in your photo #4 in your first post. I hope that makes sense??
You're right as well about a great time to check everything, I'm sure it needs it.
I sure can't complain about this truck, at 200,000 miles it still runs nearly perfect.

High steers gonna have to wait until my money tree blooms. But I'm certainly going to order the knuckle kit and a few other goodies, prices seem good.
Thank you for the information and photos, you certainly went out of your way to help and I really appreciate it.  :bowdown:

Makman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2005, 11:10:07 PM »
Glad to help.   :thumbs:

Let us know if you find any smoking gun when you dig into it.  My brother has a Ford F-150 that punishes both of the front tires.  Lots of leaning, scrubbing, and cupping that we haven't really been able to locate and address yet...might just be a Ford thing or maybe the C-bushings are kicking the camber too far off.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2005, 06:52:07 AM »
the steering arms on the toyota  have a kingpin like thing,  i beleive your problem is in your right side kingpin/steering arm bushing
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way