Author Topic: 85 PU fuel delivery issue  (Read 822 times)

83Camo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -16
  • Male Posts: 47
  • Member since Jun '21
    • View Profile
85 PU fuel delivery issue
« on: Aug 06, 2022, 07:25:25 AM »
  All, It's been a while. Busy the past few months with Wildfires here in Northern NM

Recently developed a fuel delivery problem with my 85 4x4 PU. It has a 22R , standard mechanical fuel pump. So I swapped out fuel pump , in-line filter and intake fuel filter (inside gas tank}. Recently pulled gas tank and drained it , tank/ fuel was clean no sludge.

Issue...engine dies after it runs as if its "out of gas" . Then after waiting about 5 mins it can run again.
Disconnected fuel line from pump to carb , poor flow , "spitting".
I should mention I run a Weber 38 with in line fuel pressure gauge {set at recommended 2 lbs} This setup has worked great, never a problem.
when it is running I can watch the fuel pressure fluctuate then it will usually die.

Note I have changed the fuel pump out twice with the same result. Can't find any obstructions in fuel lines and all fuel line connections are correct.
This problem started about a month ago, after running great for years.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated ? :bowdown:
Unrepentant Fenian/Tattooed & Employed

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Re: 85 PU fuel delivery issue
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2022, 09:29:42 AM »
Have you checked the eccentric guide that fuel pump rotates on. I believe it's a bolt on, at front of camshaft. Maybe a cheap 12v fuel pump to bypass mechanical pump.
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

83Camo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -16
  • Male Posts: 47
  • Member since Jun '21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2022, 05:55:24 PM »
Good to read you again OVRAROK !  Yeup I pulled valve cover to make sure all was correct.
At first felt like a "no-brainer" especially with mechanical fuel pump .....then sat down had a smoke and a sip of Irish thought about all things replaced and or new EXCEPT one thing  :hammerhead: my vented gas cap was very old so I replaced it and been driving truck all day . Got even braver and took it out to the mountain for a load of firewood, not a glitch but we'll see ??? 

* I know I said it was my 85 Truck but this is my 83 with 1985 Engine and "hardware " Big THANKS !
Unrepentant Fenian/Tattooed & Employed

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2022, 04:57:04 PM »
Had the same issue with my 84, never did figure out why it would just randomly decide to take a nap. I did install an electric pump which did stop the issue. I put the pump on a switch and only used it when it was nap time. Usually, it would take 15 to 20 mins to come back without the electric pump.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2022, 05:52:51 PM »
Good to read you again OVRAROK !  Yeup I pulled valve cover to make sure all was correct.
At first felt like a "no-brainer" especially with mechanical fuel pump .....then sat down had a smoke and a sip of Irish thought about all things replaced and or new EXCEPT one thing  :hammerhead: my vented gas cap was very old so I replaced it and been driving truck all day . Got even braver and took it out to the mountain for a load of firewood, not a glitch but we'll see ??? 

* I know I said it was my 85 Truck but this is my 83 with 1985 Engine and "hardware " Big THANKS !

Glad you got it figured out.
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.