Author Topic: Rock sliders flexing into rocker panel  (Read 1076 times)

area560

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -16
  • Member since Jan '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Rock sliders flexing into rocker panel
« on: Apr 03, 2022, 09:47:48 AM »
Hey does anyone have any recommendations to prevent my rock sliders from flexing into the rocker panel? Mine are the marlin crawler frame-mounted ones. After I went wheeling this weekend I noticed that the rock sliders had flexed into the rocker panel, when I installed them I gave a half-inch for flex but didn't realize they would flex a full inch, should I gusset the top of the slider? I know a body lift would fix the problem but that seems like more work than it is worth at the moment.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: Rock sliders flexing into rocker panel
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2022, 10:32:00 PM »
Might consider adding 1-2 more mounts from the inner rail of the slider to the frame
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2022, 04:14:09 AM »
Just to offer another perspective on sliders….

I don’t believe sliders should “flex”.

Before my trip to Moab, my friend who was a very serious fabinator and fabricating wheeling metal parts in his garage and was really good at it, offered to build me a set for my 1985 shortbed

Since we had planned a trip to Moab to do the tough trails, he said “rocker panel protectors” are a good idea.

I told him I was not crazy about sliders, but I knew I was going to need something.  I did not want something that stuck out and having to step way over it. I was ONLY interested in the rocker panel being protected.

They turned out awesome!  He made 4-bolt square mounts, welded to very short piece of tubing, and welded them to the frame, and a mating square plate that was welded to the single tube. The mounts are about 20” apart and there are 4.  I could actually bolt them on in about 30 minutes.

I don’t recall what type of tubing, but they are one tube very tightly snugged up against the rocker panel and only at the rocker panel height.

He picked the tubing and the plates. I was not concerned about the weight factor, and actually the added weight was low on the chassis, so they helped with lowering the center of gravity.

They have been Moab tested on Pritchett Canyon and 4 or 5 other trails.  They didn’t flex and did not dent but got some good rock rash.

If they were not stashed in a place in my garage that I cannot get to easily I’d post some photos. :disturbed:

For me, the ones shown in the Crawler store would NOT be my design choice for sliders.

"Slider" is the wrong word for me. I really don't want to be "sliding" on them.  A "slider" is a small hamburger or hot sandwich with a soft bun and tastes REALLY good with an ice cold beer.

That's just my opinion – it may be worthless. :gap:

Gnarls. :usa:
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2022, 04:33:17 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

area560 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -16
  • Member since Jan '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2022, 08:33:28 AM »
Great ideas here, I think the best course here may be adding gussets to the rock sliders along the top of the sliders. This should prevent them from flexing, what I plan to do also is to check and make sure they don't flex excessively is to use a jack and jack the vehicle up from the sliders on each side from different positions. In this case, I can measure to see how much they flex. And terming them sliders really isn't all that correct as to bash them more times than you slide on em. Thanks for the recommendations!

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2022, 12:14:47 PM »
No flex with these mounts and they are bolt on!!
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Male Posts: 943
  • Member since Jan '14
  • What is this Toyota you speak of?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Apr 12, 2022, 11:21:42 AM »
Sliders are only as stiff as the parent they are welded to is strong.
I would advocate the use of spreader plates and weld them as low as possible or as high as possible to the frame. Not centralised. If they do have to be centralised then gussets will help on the lower side of the slider. Folded spreader plates are even better especially when they are folded around the top and bottom of the frame rail.
LittleSteve: Holding up traffic and giving dubious advice since 2014.

1/5th of Perfect Fit. The awkward foreigner no one understands.

Refusing to fit in or comply.

Easy is not worth anything.

Show me a home where the UZ's roam.