Author Topic: Installing a new MC08 Crawler Box  (Read 1225 times)

SO Teen

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -25
  • Male Posts: 110
  • Member since Mar '16
  • New to Marlin Crawler
    • View Profile
Installing a new MC08 Crawler Box
« on: Mar 15, 2022, 04:23:09 PM »
Hello everyone,

Been a long time since I've been on here because of the fact that life hit me in the face and I haven't been able to do much work on my 1989 Pickup. I've been trying to get back into it recently and dug into rebuilding my spare transfer case and turn it into duals.

The issues that I'm running into is the fact that my transmission/transfer case setup that has been in my truck since I got it is a forward shift and my spare is a top shift (I'm pretty sure but not positive). My main question is how do I know what kind of transfer case my spare is and what year it may be out of? Is there some sort of serial number on it that could tell me where it came from?

I've also been reading the installation instructions for the crawler box on their website and am a little confused. Does the front case that is directly attached to the transmission need to be the original forward shift case? Would I need to split the transmission and transfer case set up to be able to install the crawler box in between them?

Sorry for all the question but I seem to have torn into this project before realizing how confusing it would be...... Thanks to everyone that responds!
Just looking for some help on building my first Yota!!!

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Re: Installing a new MC08 Crawler Box
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2022, 05:17:58 PM »
Whatever is in your truck now, will be the crawl box. Which will require disassembly to get to "just" the crawl box portion, then your mc08. Then your top shift rear t case..
The way you can tell if you have forward or top shift is by the shift rails protruding from front of t case.
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

SO Teen [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -25
  • Male Posts: 110
  • Member since Mar '16
  • New to Marlin Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2022, 09:19:07 AM »
Whatever is in your truck now, will be the crawl box. Which will require disassembly to get to "just" the crawl box portion, then your mc08. Then your top shift rear t case..
The way you can tell if you have forward or top shift is by the shift rails protruding from front of t case.

Okay so then it is a top shift because there was nothing protruding like it is in the pictures of the transfer case bible.  :hammer:

I have my top shift completely torn down and didn't want to completely rebuild it unless I had to which sounds like I do. Gotta source all the bearings somewhere because MC is backordered on the rebuild kit unfortunately. Gotta press all the bearings off the shafts to take them into my local bearing shop and see if he can find them for me. :beerchug:
Just looking for some help on building my first Yota!!!

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2022, 10:10:07 AM »
Okay so then it is a top shift because there was nothing protruding like it is in the pictures of the transfer case bible.  :hammer:

I have my top shift completely torn down and didn't want to completely rebuild it unless I had to which sounds like I do. Gotta source all the bearings somewhere because MC is backordered on the rebuild kit unfortunately. Gotta press all the bearings off the shafts to take them into my local bearing shop and see if he can find them for me. :beerchug:

The rf1a is sometimes referred to as the w100
 This looks like the kit. I would call just to verify before ordering.
https://www.transmissionpartsdistributors.com/w100-transfer-case-rebuild-kit-bearings-gaskets-seals-fits-toyota-pickup-4runner-79-95-bk195/?gclid=CjwKCAjwlcaRBhBYEiwAK341jRTJ9OSu_4TVDzL5vHqREvd45aB8uZS0xK8um7WC3-Ik7D3hDu8K9BoC2TwQAvD_BwE
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2022, 04:00:23 AM »
If you are still needing some help with parts, questions, want a 2nd opinion...

Dean at Trail Transmission has rebuilt 2 for me.

https://trailtransmission.com/transmission-repair/

He knows more about transmissions than anyone I know - other than Marlin!  And, like Marlin .. he's a really nice guy.

Gnarls. :usa:

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein