Author Topic: First post here, looking for HELP!!!!  (Read 723 times)

Tateishizu

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
First post here, looking for HELP!!!!
« on: Feb 25, 2020, 02:19:27 PM »
First post here looking for help with a 3.4 swap no start!!!! :smack:
Engine came from a 2000 4runner limited auto 4wd
Going into a 1994 pickup excab 4wd original 3.0 auto (swapping time r151f at the same time)

I just recently finished the install of a 3.4 swap with a conversion harness adapter from ORS. But come time to fire and nothing, the engine just cranks and cranks. I can smell fuel, but I got no spark at all.  Even pulled a plug to verify.  All signs are pointing to the immobilizer system.  As I triple checked and cleaned up grounds as much as possible. When I was installing the ecu I did notice that there was a plug missing but Mike at ORS assured me that it was OK and even told me it was for that system.  So that makes me wonder if that is the issue.  I have been trying to contact them but nothing yet. My question is there anyway that I can bypass this, I have the ecu pigtail for it but no key or transponder.
I really don’t want to have to get another ecu because that would mean having to alter the harness ors made.

Team_Jake

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 569
  • Male Posts: 23
  • Member since Aug '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: First post here, looking for HELP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2020, 05:03:05 PM »
Welcome!

I'm not sure how much I can help with your exact problem, but I do know that all Limited 4Runners 1999+ came with an immobilizer. When I swapped a 5-speed into my 1999, I had the same exact problem you're having, crank but no start. Turned out the immobilizer in my ignition was mismatched with the new M/T ECU, I had to get the new M/T ECU re-flashed and program my keys and it worked.

From what I understand, it's the ignition system (not the ECU) that keeps the vehicle from starting - meaning the ignition reads the coded values in the chips in your keys, sends that to the ECU, the ECU sends back the decoded value, and the ignition checks that value and then lets the vehicle start. If you put an ECU in your vehicle that came from an immobilized vehicle, and the ignition system is from a non-immobilized vehicle, it should run like ORS says. If you swapped over the immobilizer-ignition system, that there is your problem and you need the master key to start. If you don't have that key, get a local locksmith to re-flash the IC900 chip on your ECU to get your ECU into re-programming mode, and you'll need to program new chipped keys. I can get you more details on how to do that if that turns out to be your problem.
My '99 4Runner - (thread)