Author Topic: Head gasket?  (Read 3619 times)

jmac80

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 184
  • Member since Sep '15
  • DD and trail rider
    • View Profile
Head gasket?
« on: Apr 26, 2019, 12:29:14 AM »
So I hadn't been on in a minute so figured I'd try and help new fellow in tranny first.

So this is blown head gasket right?... I'm in denial

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2019, 09:22:08 AM by jmac80 »
1980 long bed; 20R; L52; 3" OME; 30-spline Marfields; Marlin high steer; PS; AC

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,238
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Head gasket?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2019, 07:23:50 AM »

"How often it is that the angry man rages denial of what his inner self is telling him." ~ Frank Herbert

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

jmac80 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '15
  • DD and trail rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2019, 09:19:44 AM »
"How often it is that the angry man rages denial of what his inner self is telling him." ~ Frank Herbert

Gnarls.

looks like my inners' are workin' to my outers' self. 

So, who should I buy the kit from?.....it's a 20R

....I'm temped to put stop leak in it and sell the thing....it needs a clutch too....but that'd be a real A-hole thing to do.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2019, 09:43:50 AM »

....I'm temped to put stop leak in it and sell the thing....it needs a clutch too....but that'd be a real A-hole thing to do.

Alumaseal worked to completely stop a head gasket leak (coolant) on my 22RE. :thumbs:

Being an "A-hole" will produce very bad karma!! :gap:

On the head, I'd call and talk to Jerry or Jim at 22RE Performance.

Gnarls.  :spin:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2019, 03:08:45 PM »

WTF!!!!!   
Just you thinking that is Fuc%ed and says something about your character.
If someone sold me something with a blown headgasket and stop leak in it and didn't tell me Id hunt them down.
Be real, don't pass your headache off to someone else.
its a damn 4cyl, man up and fix it

86bobbedtoy

• Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2019, 03:10:42 PM »
On a side note if you decide to use a stop leak, I have heard good about "blue devil''  but had a friend plug his whole system up with it. id use good ol flakes or pellets

jmac80 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '15
  • DD and trail rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2019, 09:19:32 AM »
I'd call and talk to Jerry or Jim at 22RE Performance.

Jerry's out this week, but guy on phone said he thought they could put a 20R kit together and to call back next Monday to confirm.  He guessed cost would be about the same as the 22R ($160-180).

.....still trying to figure out what I want to do, probably no stop leak and just sell with it leaking and let next guy do what he wants.  It's not like I'm selling because of the leak, I had listed it on CL a couple of days prior to discovering.  I just noticed a tiny coolant drop under it where I park and investigated this.  So I have a older write up somewhere about a mystery overheating issue at highway speeds (65+) held for long time periods (20 minutes or so).  I had switched thermostats a few times, flushed system extensively, put in new radiator, and new water pump......all with no avail.  The HG was kind of the last option without confirmation.....probably 40k miles later, it is confirmed.....I can't believe it held that long....I'll see if I can find that old post and note for other's reference going forward.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2019, 06:38:54 PM »
Jerry's out this week, but guy on phone said he thought they could put a 20R kit together and to call back next Monday to confirm.  He guessed cost would be about the same as the 22R ($160-180).

.....still trying to figure out what I want to do, probably no stop leak and just sell with it leaking and let next guy do what he wants.  It's not like I'm selling because of the leak, I had listed it on CL a couple of days prior to discovering.  I just noticed a tiny coolant drop under it where I park and investigated this.  So I have a older write up somewhere about a mystery overheating issue at highway speeds (65+) held for long time periods (20 minutes or so).  I had switched thermostats a few times, flushed system extensively, put in new radiator, and new water pump......all with no avail.  The HG was kind of the last option without confirmation.....probably 40k miles later, it is confirmed.....I can't believe it held that long....I'll see if I can find that old post and note for other's reference going forward.

:thumbs:

86bobbedtoy

• Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2019, 09:26:36 PM »
You don't have any buddies to call over have a bbq and work on a simple yota head? 

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Apr 30, 2019, 04:21:33 AM »
You don't have any buddies to call over have a bbq and work on a simple yota head? 
First of all the head on a 20/22 is NOT “a simple yota head”!  :willynilly:

The early Toyota head is arguably THE most discussed part of any early Toyota vehicle.

If you want a head job on an early Toyota to go 100,000 miles it better be done RIGHT - starting with the machine work, to part selection, and then to the installation. :thumbs:

I have to laugh…. “buddies to call over have a bbq and work..”  :shake:

With my buddies it would be look at the engine, drink a Bud, grill, drink a Bud, eat, drink a Bud, discuss work, drink a Bud, look at the engine, drink a Bud, discuss work, debate how to do a head job, drink a Bud… Oops… time to go home.  :beerchug:

Gnarls. :gap:
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2019, 04:41:32 AM by Gnarly4X »

jmac80 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '15
  • DD and trail rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 30, 2019, 11:28:26 AM »
I just don't want to put anymore money or time in it, especially with plans to sell.  It's time for us to part ways :outtahere:......always hard at first but will get easier with time.

And like Gnarls said, you gotta do it right.....I would have to do the valves with the head off and surely would get it decked to.....then I would have to keep it at that point.

I do want to attend Gnarls' BBQ, sounds fun. :beer:

......and 86bobbedtoy, if some day laborer wants to put stop leak in it and drive it around the Bay Area for the next six months with a 1000 lbs of rocks and dirt in the back everyday then, by God, he can in my book.  I've got it listed on CL and Ebay, both ads clearly say it's leaking, so I'm not trying to pass anything off on anyone.  ........Maybe you should buy it and fix it???? :thumbs:

Alright girls, ya'll behave.
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2019, 12:28:22 PM by jmac80 »

86bobbedtoy

• Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 08:46:17 PM »
First of all the head on a 20/22 is NOT “a simple yota head”!  :willynilly:

The early Toyota head is arguably THE most discussed part of any early Toyota vehicle.

If you want a head job on an early Toyota to go 100,000 miles it better be done RIGHT - starting with the machine work, to part selection, and then to the installation. :thumbs:

I have to laugh…. “buddies to call over have a bbq and work..”  :shake:

With my buddies it would be look at the engine, drink a Bud, grill, drink a Bud, eat, drink a Bud, discuss work, drink a Bud, look at the engine, drink a Bud, discuss work, debate how to do a head job, drink a Bud… Oops… time to go home.  :beerchug:

Gnarls. :gap:

simple job for my dumb ass, done close to a dozen over the years back when I had 22r 22re 21ru motors
Id call over a couple friends to keep me company and make it a fun project and not namn JOB.
Ive done my share,

I just don't want to put anymore money or time in it, especially with plans to sell.  It's time for us to part ways :outtahere:......always hard at first but will get easier with time.

And like Gnarls said, you gotta do it right.....I would have to do the valves with the head off and surely would get it decked to.....then I would have to keep it at that point.

I do want to attend Gnarls' BBQ, sounds fun. :beer:

......and 86bobbedtoy, if some day laborer wants to put stop leak in it and drive it around the Bay Area for the next six months with a 1000 lbs of rocks and dirt in the back everyday then, by God, he can in my book.  I've got it listed on CL and Ebay, both ads clearly say it's leaking, so I'm not trying to pass anything off on anyone.  ........Maybe you should buy it and fix it???? :thumbs:

Alright girls, ya'll behave.

I figured you used it as a figure of speech to show how upset you were, I didn't actually think anyone would pass that off untold, just had to put my 2 cents in.
If you were close to me Id help you do it, bbq required of course

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 05:51:42 AM »
simple job for my dumb ass...

Yep… any “dumb ass” can do a head job.  :beerchug:

:haha:  I’ve read posts where the guy rebuilt his 22 in 2 hours.

Jim at 22RE Performance is really slow – probably hasn’t done his share yet -  takes him about 40 hours to rebuild a stock 22.  Of course his rebuilds will probably go 300,000 miles.  :thumbs:

The first time I did a head job on my 1985 22R it took me about 2 weekends by the time I ordered a rebuilt head and new camshaft with all the gaskets and cleaning.

But I have limited experience and take more time than the average DIYer.  :driving:

A quality rebuilt head on 20/22 requires more precision machining, quality parts, and knowledge to assemble than any other part on the engine... again just my opinion.  :D

Gnarls.  :gap:

« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 06:05:02 AM by Gnarly4X »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 07:37:46 PM »
So I hadn't been on in a minute so figured I'd try and help new fellow in tranny first.

what it looks like is some dimwit globbed black gasket material on it and called it good.   
If it leaks but runs okay you can use it yourself til it gets cold anyway.
 A new head gasket is in your future
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1176
  • Male Posts: 536
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 08:45:09 AM »
Or you could find someone that actually wants a project. I'd be interested if it were a 2WD and I had the funds. But if you do sell it don't jack it up further with BS 'fix it' crap.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

jmac80 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '15
  • DD and trail rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2019, 09:08:32 AM »
But if you do sell it don't jack it up further with BS 'fix it' crap.

Exactly, I would not want someone to have done that to something I bought.  Although, it's gone now....sold to some Guatemalan dude for 53.  I showed him the leak, so he knew what he was getting into.  When he came to pick it up his buddy brought him in a pretty good looking yellow 82......I was quite amused.

I'm officially out of the Toyota business for the moment....feels weird, first time in 15 years or so....DDing a Samurai and looking for a Grand National for the immediate future.  Although sometime around August I plan to begin hunting for an unadulterated 83 shortbed, so I'll be back.

You guys take it easy!! :biggthumpup:

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 04:36:08 PM »
That's the second time today someone has mention the GN.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2019, 06:33:26 AM »
That's the second time today someone has mention the GN.

What is a Grand National.... the Buick?

Gnarls

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2019, 06:46:01 AM »
Exactly, I would not want someone to have done that to something I bought.  Although, it's gone now....sold to some Guatemalan dude for 53.  I showed him the leak, so he knew what he was getting into.  When he came to pick it up his buddy brought him in a pretty good looking yellow 82......I was quite amused.

I'm officially out of the Toyota business for the moment....feels weird, first time in 15 years or so....DDing a Samurai and looking for a Grand National for the immediate future.  Although sometime around August I plan to begin hunting for an unadulterated 83 shortbed, so I'll be back.

You guys take it easy!! :biggthumpup:

Finding an '83 Toyota pick up can be done.  Finding one that is "unadulterated" may be a huge challenge.

Gnarls.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2019, 08:41:14 AM »
Yup, the GN is that turbo V6 Buick that whups ass!
I had an '83 a few years back that had a pile of parts to go in. It was a virgin when I sold it. I had 22 cars om the property when the bank took it. Had to basically throw TONS of things away. Getting from 22 to 3 cars was a chore. I have an'86 unmodified 4Runner that is still stock, except the tires and wheels I'm thinking of letting go. Wish it was in better shape. Not really too hard to find 'em.

jmac80 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '15
  • DD and trail rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2019, 03:29:20 PM »
Really just always want a 1st gen with a five speed..... The 83s just already have the beefier hardware on the drivetrain.... Bigger bolts/nuts, better u and CV joints, heavier driveshaft..... Preaching to the choir here.

No round headlights though.... I like em round

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

87ricerunner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 27, 2019, 07:09:27 PM »
 :beer:

CORRODED

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jul '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #22 on: Jul 30, 2019, 12:05:11 PM »
that sucks!

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #23 on: Aug 02, 2019, 09:03:58 PM »
 :sad2: