Author Topic: Rexy Re-Do: SUPER SLEEPER 1ST GEN!  (Read 73489 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,225
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Rexy Re-Do: SUPER SLEEPER 1ST GEN!
« Reply #390 on: Jan 05, 2019, 01:55:43 PM »
I've seen some back yard :pokinit: before, but that is some serious gagster :pokinit:. I know You got to have some chain around there someplace.

Nope... that is what MacGyver would use!!!!  :thumbs: :gap:  :yesnod:

Gnarls.  :beerchug:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: Jan 05, 2019, 05:10:55 PM »
Well, if I remember correctly I put those into service last winter when all my stuff was buried under about a foot of snow.  I had the engine hoist but no chain handy.  I had tore down a bunch of 20Rs and that was all in the shed so when I was trying to figure out what the heck to use at 4:00AM and zero degrees there were the old timing chains in the bottom of a greasy box. 

As it turns out they keep things level, centered and kind of more rigid than regular linked chain.  They work so good that I have just kept on using them.     :sly:
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: Jan 05, 2019, 05:20:38 PM »
I have always been happy with stock clutches as long as I have good gearing for my tire size, but I bought this one gently used from 05sport4x4 on here for cheaper than I could have got a stock style replacement. Apparently he used it on a 22re just a few runs before an engine swap. The disk, Japan throwout bearing and pressure plate all looked nearly new so I was happy.

Pedal pressure seems no more than stock and it hooks up smooth and positive.  Better than my janky oil soaked old one for sure :).

– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 06, 2019, 08:41:47 PM »
Mounted an old compressor on the inner fender well.  This was one of those half way decent ones that come in a bag and hook to the battery with alligator clips.  They get beat to crap over time and quit working because the wires get yanked out, the air hose gets busted etc.  I refurbished this one and just decided to bolt it in and hook it to my extra fuse block.

– Steve McQueen

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #394 on: May 07, 2019, 04:38:08 AM »
Mounted an old compressor on the inner fender well.  This was one of those half way decent ones that come in a bag and hook to the battery with alligator clips.  They get beat to crap over time and quit working because the wires get yanked out, the air hose gets busted etc.  I refurbished this one and just decided to bolt it in and hook it to my extra fuse block.

Hi H...

If you could mount a little compressed air tank to that, would you have a little more cfm?

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #395 on: May 07, 2019, 05:56:48 AM »
Hi H...

If you could mount a little compressed air tank to that, would you have a little more cfm?

Gnarls.

Just box and seal the frame, then it can double as an air tank

:cheese:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 07, 2019, 07:33:05 AM »
Hi H...

Gnarls.

Sure but space is a premium :).  It's just for airing up tires and an occasional reseating of a bead.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 07:10:23 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #397 on: May 08, 2019, 03:34:45 AM »

Just box and seal the frame, then it can double as an air tank

:cheese:

Yeah... that is a cool trick and was done by a number of guys in the 4-wheel drive club here.  The only negative is moisture.  After a number of years ??, rust is corroding the inside of your frame rail!  :yikes:

Gnarls. :spin:

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #398 on: May 08, 2019, 03:36:59 AM »
Sure but space is a premium :). ...

When is space NOT a premium on our trucks?  :dunno:

Gnarls.  :gap:

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: Feb 08, 2020, 05:28:10 PM »
This morning I got my big herkin' tie rod off and put new FJ-80 ends on it.  I got this tie rod off somebody here with an old school cross-over arm.  This thing is either 2 layers of tube or maybe just really thick.  It weighs a ton and doesn't bend when you dunce a rock or stump.  It's like a slider with rod ends on it.

I found these super-cheapo FJ-80 ends on rock auto for something like $10 each.  We will see how long they last.

OK so a while back I put new tires on the truck and discovered my super cheapy Ultra Power FJ80 ends had a fair bit of slop in them.  About what I expected.  I am not disappointed in them for the price.  I should add they were used while I was farming and my daily commute and duties were pretty much as severe use as you can get.  These went on at about 81K on my odometer so we can keep track of mileage on this set...

I was still kind of low budget when I ordered fresh ones from rockauto.  I decided to try the Beck Arnley brand this time which were around $17.  To my delight and surprise inside the Beck/Arnley boxes were genuine made in Japan Three Fives FJ80 ends! They were without the jam nuts but I have plenty of those.
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2020, 05:50:29 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8292
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: Feb 08, 2020, 05:43:29 PM »
I have been using Moog Problem Solvers on mine, seem to last longer than the others for me.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #401 on: Feb 09, 2020, 03:27:16 AM »
....  I decided to try the Beck Arnley brand this time which were around $17.  To my delight and surprise inside the Beck/Arnley boxes were genuine made in Japan Three Fives FJ80 ends! They were without the jam nuts but I have plenty of those.

I've had very good luck with BA and the quality and pricing.  All the Beck Arnley parts I've ordered from RockAuto have been very high quality and very competitively priced.

Gnarls.

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: Dec 19, 2020, 05:36:20 PM »
Got to do some wheeling on actual slickrock this year.  Just in Montana and it was one notch but still fun and the truck worked great.  Did a little body work, like the weld on the bed where I put the front 9 inches of my old bed on the front of the short bed, beat out a couple of the bigger dents and very little else.  I did graft a better drives door together out of my window frame and a non-rusty door that had a mashed frame.  Last thing you want is a perfectly restored first gen.  Always liked having it rough enough to not care about a ding or scuff.  Painted it one shade of tan with a roller.  Turned out looking good. I basically wanted something on it so it wouldn't rot away under me, but easy and cheap to reproduce when I find nicer body panels every now and then or mess something up on a deer or a rock.

I really want to make this into some kind of desert camo job, but if I do my wife won't ride with me  :gap:.

I used Behr Marque house paint.  I saw a guy use it on a deuce as an alternative to military paint. Dried hard and worked great for $50. Even seems to take a little gasoline spill without melting off.  I started out looking at "perfect tan" but found it was too much like an elementary school desk, then I looked for a bit more yellow to blend in with cut wheat fields, and found this "flax straw" color.

Oh and my wife bought me a fresh windshield for Christmas.  First time I haven't had to look through a crack for 10 years!

Here is a cheesy shot in the driveway.  A least our driveway has a water crossing and some logs I guess.
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2020, 06:24:51 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: Dec 19, 2020, 06:11:14 PM »
 :booya:  And because I still run a spool in the rear...
– Steve McQueen

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #404 on: Dec 19, 2020, 07:29:34 PM »
Translate Please.......
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: Dec 19, 2020, 07:36:38 PM »
This is Fujiwara Tofu Delivery.  It's a reference to Initial-D, an anime series about a kid who drives a Corolla sideways all the time and spanks everybody around racing down the mountain.  I'm not into anime but I do drive sideways all the time and my boys and I suffered the entire series in Japanese with subtitles.
– Steve McQueen

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: Dec 19, 2020, 08:20:01 PM »
If you can drive sideways your engine must have more torque than mine :gap: I tried to drift around a sharp corner covered in packed snow on my driveway and couldn't break the rear tires loose

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: Dec 20, 2020, 06:30:48 AM »
Haha well it's still a Toyota but it really wakes up around 3,200 rpm :).  Most of my drifting is on dirt mind you, not dry asphalt.
– Steve McQueen