Author Topic: Rexy Re-Do: SUPER SLEEPER 1ST GEN!  (Read 73491 times)

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: Rexy Re-Do: SUPER SLEEPER 1ST GEN!
« Reply #210 on: Mar 26, 2018, 01:12:32 PM »
In other exciting news...  While de-sludging parts I noticed the ground in the alt harness was dangling by one strand.  Not sure but I think that ground is important, so I soldered the eye back on and peeled off the rest of the factory old tape for inspection.  It's amazing how a quarter inch of goo can preserve things.  All was well so after cleaning I wrapped it up in some fresh conduit and electrical tape.

Should add 3-5 HP.   :thumbs:

“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: Mar 27, 2018, 07:55:21 AM »
Put power steering, alt and fan on this morning.  It is taking me longer to find and clean things than it does to put it on.  Dawn seems to be about 6:30 now so I get a whole 20 minutes of daylight before I have to quit and go to work.   :biggthumpup:

One little bit I learned this morning.  The early 79-84 style power steering pumps bolt up just a little different than the later 85-94 style.  I put on the older style bracket and I was trying to bolt up a later model pump but the holes don't quite line up.  Put my old one back on.

– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #212 on: Mar 27, 2018, 08:17:59 AM »
I made that mistake. Built my 84 engine and wanted new accessories when putting in the truck. My buddy had a warranty on one for his 93 so O'Reilly gave us a new one and the holes were a fudge off. Ended up buying a reman for 84.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: Mar 29, 2018, 09:58:24 AM »
Springtime in north-central MT.  Gack.   :ack:  Took one look and went back to bed this morning...
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: Apr 02, 2018, 06:34:28 AM »
Messed with the bed some more.  Welded the graft onto the passenger side, which turned out a little less wonky than the drivers side.  Did some more research on lead body filler.  Worked on petrified wires some more.  Not much else because it was cold.  This winter hanging on is getting re-friggin'-diculous!  I am going to start working 4 10 hour shifts so I might get whole blocks of time in the daylight to finish thid thing up finally.

Temp Easter morning...

:shakehead:

– Steve McQueen

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,225
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #215 on: Apr 02, 2018, 06:48:34 AM »
Springtime in north-central MT.  Gack.   :ack:  Took one look and went back to bed this morning...

I see DaWalt is feeling DaCold!!

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #216 on: Apr 02, 2018, 06:50:57 AM »
Messed with the bed some more.  Welded the graft onto the passenger side, which turned out a little less wonky than the drivers side.  Did some more research on lead body filler.  Worked on petrified wires some more.  Not much else because it was cold.  This winter hanging on is getting re-friggin'-diculous!  I am going to start working 4 10 hour shifts so I might get whole blocks of time in the daylight to finish thid thing up finally.

Temp Easter morning...

:shakehead:

I was 90d F Easter, blue sky, really felt good to be outside.   Dropping to 87 today..... gobs of sunshine!!  I'm a sunshine geek!

You couldn't blow me outta here with a hydrogen BOMB!

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: Apr 02, 2018, 02:55:38 PM »
Way to make him feel like a popcycle.  :beerwhack:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #218 on: Apr 02, 2018, 03:14:40 PM »
Can't deny it's nice out here. Really breezy, 85°, 5% humidity, and nothing but blue skies for miles. Would be a nice place to grab some firewood :)
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: Apr 03, 2018, 06:22:20 AM »
-2 F this morning.  It's great.

This time of year we would expect a bunch of snow but temps are normally more tolerable.  This steady down cold is not right.
– Steve McQueen

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: Apr 03, 2018, 06:31:44 AM »
I'd send you a box of 90 degree days from Peru. With customs and all, it should get to you about July...

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #221 on: Apr 03, 2018, 06:45:04 AM »
Way to make him feel like a popcycle.  :beerwhack:

He IS a popsicle!!  :biggthumpup:

Gnarls. :gap:

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #222 on: Apr 03, 2018, 06:54:45 AM »
-2 F this morning.  It's great.

This time of year we would expect a bunch of snow but temps are normally more tolerable.  This steady down cold is not right.

H,

You know it's very likley that you  and your family could have everything you have there, here in Arizona.... without your need for global warming.

No catastrophic weather.  About months of T-shirt and shorts weather, more 4-wheeling than you really need, lots of land available, culture, high-tech, cowboys, horses, cows, conceal carry OK, land of opportunity, and more.

Come on down!

Gnarls.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #223 on: Apr 03, 2018, 06:58:27 AM »
But he has no house note.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: Apr 03, 2018, 07:36:06 AM »
Thanks Gnarls.  I haven't ruled out moving some place, but the paid for living situation with no mortgage is tough to obtain.  I have thought of taking an appraiser/assessor job in another state.  Most pay way more than I make here.  A moving choice would have a lot to do with local zoning and regulation allowing us to build from scratch without thousands of dollars of permits and establishing the solar/off grid power we like.

Most winters here aren't quite as demoralizing as this one.  Usually we get a few weeks in January of near 60 degrees and by this time lows in the mid 20s. 
– Steve McQueen

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #225 on: Apr 03, 2018, 09:19:24 AM »
Yes.. usually there are trade-offs. 

No mortgage is biggy.

You'd just have to come and visit and check out options and what is most important to you and your family.

Moving sucks, pretty much every time!

Gnarls.

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: Apr 03, 2018, 04:55:30 PM »
Having worked for United van lines and working the western 13 states, I can officially say moving SUCKS ALL the time, rain, snow or shine.  I HATE Packing!   :flamer:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: Apr 04, 2018, 07:09:30 AM »
The dog caught a muskrat the other day.  Jake is skinning it for the pelt.  Kind of like a tiny beaver...

– Steve McQueen

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: Apr 04, 2018, 03:26:13 PM »
Put some new front brake pads on. 

Slapped my front tires back on in hopes to roll the truck forward to drop in the engine and I found my brake line re-locate brought the new brake hoses to close to the tire   :smack:.  One of those decision points where you can run something kind of dumb or swallow your pride and do it right...  I cut off the brackets again and welded them back on the side of the frame 90 degrees in the 2WD/IFS style.  This got me even more available down travel and I also had the hard lines from a 2WD in the shed so I used those instead of bending the 4WD hard lines around.

This left plenty of room and the brake lines are healthy and out of harms way.

Also replaced the 40 year old, gooey, seeping clutch soft line while in the engine bay.  Maybe now I won't have to bleed my clutch slave every time the weather changes.
H8 that purple napa brake pad lube is a mechanic secret. Your not supposed to show that stuff to people.  :nonono:
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: Apr 04, 2018, 03:33:19 PM »
40 degrees this morning and heavy wind peeling the snow off!  Unfortunately there was a small pond under the truck.  In an effort to stay dry I decided to just put the header on and get the truck that much closer to making noise.  Sprayed the gasket with the high temp copper sticky last night and let it tack up by the wood stove. 

I had the NWOR header loose and ready to go but I ended up going with the old header that came with this truck.  It is the same size and setup tri-y as the NWOR, just with a slightly thinner flange so I didn't have to mess with the factory manifold studs.  It also blocks everything off so I don't have to use air injection block offs or anything.  It's never been a bad header so I might as well use it again  :biggthumpup:.  No idea who's header this is though...
Hear You go again. Showing of the secret stuff!!!
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: Apr 05, 2018, 07:30:37 AM »
The copper spray secret I got from you!  Dilly dilly!
– Steve McQueen

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: Apr 06, 2018, 03:13:41 PM »
But he has no house note.

Plus he’s happy where he is.  Why challenge that?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: Apr 06, 2018, 04:52:45 PM »
I'm lucky in that we have 997 other stores if I wanted to move.  But I don't.  We might close down for a major remodel around the end of the year, which means most of us will have to drive nearly 3 hours back and forth each day to the nearest location.  I am going to put in tomorrow for an extended vacation, leave of absence, or whatever you wanna call it.  I could get a lot accomplished around here with an extended vacation  :wink2:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: Apr 12, 2018, 10:49:45 AM »
We had 62 degrees yesterday so I took it for my day off.  I finished fixing crusty wiring and hooked up all the fuel lines and charcoal canister, along with one for the carb vent for the Weber hill climb mod.  I love that early truck fuel filter location.  No crawling under a muddy truck to replace it  :thumbs:.

Stuck my V6 radiator in and it sort of fit, but was a little tall and the bottom of it hung below the frame about 2".  No deal  :thumbdown:.  I think on an SAS truck with the spring hanger you don't notice but on the first gen the lower tank just hangs down there all vulnerable.

I dug out my old 1st gen radiator, all brass and copper.  One of the brackets was busted off, so I soldered it back on while the wind kept blowing my torch out.  The fins were about 90% plugged with mud and oil sludge.  I really don't know how the heck this rad even kept the engine cool at all but it did.  I went to the power washer today and blew all the gunk out of it until I could see through it clearly.

– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: Apr 12, 2018, 02:00:17 PM »
Did some W56in' this morning in the dark.  Some knuckle head did a job stripping out the fill plug.  "Why would you do that?  Your sick!"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVbqKOYBh5I 

I dug into it with a cold chisel and popped it out.  Really been debating on using this trans vs. an L52 I have but it's such a good trans and I have to redo the drive lines and cross member anyway for the dual t-case so I might as well use the best I have.

– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: Apr 12, 2018, 02:40:15 PM »
Yeah I know I should probably rebuild it just for kicks but I'm out of truck money :).
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: Apr 13, 2018, 07:12:14 AM »
It's January 103rd...

– Steve McQueen

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: Apr 13, 2018, 11:34:27 PM »
Great lookin' engine bay, me likey.

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: Apr 14, 2018, 03:58:55 AM »
Great lookin' engine bay, me likey.

Yeah, H8PVMNT is probably the only one with so much scenery in his engine bay...

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: Apr 16, 2018, 06:34:41 AM »
W56 installed yesterday evening!

With nothing to work on but a muddy spot with some bark and gear oil mixed in we decided to use the "three guys swearing" method and just basically lifted the trans into place.  This works surprisingly well and after the mandatory amount of pain and suffering it went "ker-chunk".  I now owe the boys each a similar trans wrestling session in the future.

Another note when bolting in a W56 in a 1st gen...  the shifter ends up right in the bridge between the two holes in the floor boards.  I will be hacking this out later.
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2018, 02:13:43 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen