Author Topic: No power to fuel pump  (Read 6210 times)

cm3h2o

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Sep '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
No power to fuel pump
« on: Sep 17, 2017, 08:27:04 PM »
Hey alright first timer...
I have a 1987 Toyota 22RE 4x4 Truck that has been sitting in the forest for the last 5 years, pulled it out and am trying to get it to work. New battery, new fuel, new air filter.  The problem I am having now is, the engine is cranking but no fuel is coming down the lines.  I pulled the Fuel line off the input to the fuel filter housing to verify this also pulled it off the cold start injector. 
Things I checked...
- Main relay with an ohm meter....seems to be in order
- Circuit Opening Relay with an ohm meter....seems to be in order, also I can hear and feel it clicking when I turn the key.
- Verified 12v at 15amp Efi breaker
- In the diagnostics box I am only getting .23v at Fp when cranking engine
- Disconnected fuel pump wire connector at fuel tank and checked voltage at connector while cranking .... Nothing
- Connected 12V battery to connector at fuel pump... Pump fires up and fuel flowing out of fuel line that is disconnected from filter so I guess my pump works.

At a loss as what to do next... I read something about the AFM and trying to bypass that?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

cm3h2o [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: No power to fuel pump
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2017, 12:24:18 PM »
Alright morning report...
I decided to revisit the Circuit Open Relay here is what I found...

I am seeing 12V at terminal STA with the key in the start position
I DO NOT see any voltage at terminal Fp with the engine cranking... So bad relay?
I removed the relay to check resistance... all seems to be in the proper ranges according to Haynes repair manual.
Also as mentioned before I can hear and feel the relay clicking on and off when I try to start the truck.

I think I will try to replace the relay and see what happens next. Also any advise will be appreciated.

Thanks

cm3h2o [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 2017, 02:55:35 PM »
Afternoon Report,

I replaced the Open circuit relay with one that I know works and no luck, so cool my relay is good.

I used a jumper wire and jumped between Fp and STA on the terminals that connect to my open circuit relay.  Tadaaaa!!! Fuel pump gushing fuel out the open line....

So what the F over... Relay is good but when I bypass it the pump turns on.  There must be another system in the circuit, not allowing the power to go to the pump. 

Next I moved onto the start injector time switch, I measured the resistance as described by my Repair Manual and found 80ohms where it should be 30ohms +-10.  So I guess I have a bad start injector time switch, but what the hell does that do anyway. Would it not cause my fuel pump to turn on???

This is fun its like having a conversation with myself out loud

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2017, 07:41:14 AM »
As much as I'd love to help I can only suggest to try manually actuating the flap in the top of the air box. See if you get power to fuel pump then. The fuel pump is turned on when the flap is opened by the intake vacuum.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2017, 10:56:46 PM »
Afternoon Report,

I replaced the Open circuit relay with one that I know works and no luck, so cool my relay is good.

I used a jumper wire and jumped between Fp and STA on the terminals that connect to my open circuit relay.  Tadaaaa!!! Fuel pump gushing fuel out the open line....

So what the F over... Relay is good but when I bypass it the pump turns on.  There must be another system in the circuit, not allowing the power to go to the pump. 

Next I moved onto the start injector time switch, I measured the resistance as described by my Repair Manual and found 80ohms where it should be 30ohms +-10.  So I guess I have a bad start injector time switch, but what the hell does that do anyway. Would it not cause my fuel pump to turn on???

This is fun its like having a conversation with myself out loud

I once drove my daughters 4runner a ll the way home with the Fp and B terminals jumped with a paper clip in the diagnostic port.  Sadly I can't remember much about how I fixed it. 
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

megaphoneman

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 677
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2017, 11:15:15 PM »
Cant remember if ther is a neutral safety switch on these trucks?

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2017, 02:26:38 AM »
An automatic will have neutral safety switch.

Manuals have clutch depressed switch and a clutch depressed override switch under instruments.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X

• Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,256
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2017, 04:00:12 AM »
I have a 1987 Toyota 22RE 4x4 Truck that has been sitting in the forest for the last 5 years, pulled it out and am trying to get it to work.

Hey cm3h2o,

I assume you trying to resurrect a truck that has been sitting unstarted for 5 years, and it has not been rebuilt?

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2017, 04:41:51 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Sep 22, 2017, 04:22:45 AM »
.. So I guess I have a bad start injector time switch, but what the hell does that do anyway. Would it not cause my fuel pump to turn on???

I am no expert on the 22RE, but just rebuilt my 1986 after sitting in a garage for about 4 years.  Bestgen knows the 22REs.

In my limited experience, MamaCPU is sensitive about her sensors and starting up a 22RE requires that she knows her kids are all happy.  If one or more is out of adjustment or failed the CPU may not start the engine, or make it very difficult to start.

The Start Injector Time Switch is activated when the coolant temperature is low and signals the computer to operate the the Cold Start Injector during initial cold start up.

If the SITS has failed, the CSI will not spray fuel into the air chamber.  You can disconnect the Time Switch and the Cold Start Injector, open the flap at the opening on the MAF, the fuel pump should still pump. The ignition key will need to be turned to ON. You may have to have someone hold the flap open while you put your ear at the opening of the fuel tank with the cap off.

If the fuel pump sounds like it's pumping, it doesn't necessarily mean the pump is good and pumping enough fuel pressure to the fuel pressure regulator.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2017, 04:37:23 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Sep 22, 2017, 08:38:06 AM »
First of all, the 22re never came with a MAF, they have an AFM.

Thanks liveoak... I get those dang air intake thingies mixed up... My Corolla has a MAF, my Camry has a MAF, and my Tundra had a MAF...??

Gnarls.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #10 on: Sep 22, 2017, 05:28:03 PM »
You don't have to worry about the AFM switch if you jump the check connector.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2017, 05:35:13 AM »
The Sta is the power while cranking or STArt position.  If the relay isnt getting lit in that position then you likely have a wiring issue or short in that circuit.  The COR has two pulling windings.  One is activated by the AFM, THe second is activated by the starting/cranking signal.
hold this. . .