Author Topic: Camping advice needed...  (Read 3479 times)

OCD

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -135
  • Member since Sep '13
    • View Profile
Camping advice needed...
« on: Aug 31, 2017, 11:42:44 AM »
Heading out near shaver lake in a couple weeks to run a few trails and looking for some camping advise. I plan to be in the area for approximately a week and would like to camp somewhere central to at least a few trails like bald mountain, brewer lake, swamp lake, or possibly other trails as I'm not familiar with the area. Camping does not need to be in established campgrounds as we are fully self sufficient. But does need to be big enough to accommodate our tow rig with camper and 16' trailer as well as our wheeler. Would prefer smaller campgrounds or something semi private in the NF but don't want to take the tow rig and trailer very far at all down dirt roads. Large established campgrounds are not out of the question but I've never stayed anywhere other than at shaver lake in the past and not sure what else is in the area. I've just started my internet search...

Ideas, thoughts and suggestions for not only a camping location, but also for recommended trails to run would be greatly appreciated...

85-4roller

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -92
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Save our forest from the sierra club
    • View Profile
Re: Camping advice needed...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2017, 12:23:46 PM »
There is a free camping area a few miles above shaver, on the dinky creek road. on the right side.
Save our forest from the sierra club, they are the enemy of outdoor enthusiast everywhere.

05sport4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3411
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2017, 01:06:19 PM »
I have stayed at Gigantea Campground in the past.  Fairly central to trails about 10 minutes past Dinky creek campground.  No water, pit toilets, about 12 sites.  Was closed because of the beetle infestation but is not noted as closed on the forest service page right now.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sierra/recarea/?recid=45494

I would call any to verify.  It was closed at the beginning of this month.
John

05 4Runner Sport 4x4 V6 - Hanna Sliders
89 Extra Cab 4x4 Pickup, 3.4 w/auto conversion, Diamond 9.5" front, Ruffstuff rear 9.5", 5.29's w/ARB's, dual case 2.28-4.7, 40x13.5

OCD [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2017, 06:12:45 AM »
There is a free camping area a few miles above shaver, on the dinky creek road. on the right side.

Is this an actual campground? Trying to get a sat view so I can make sure there's enough room...

I have stayed at Gigantea Campground in the past.  Fairly central to trails about 10 minutes past Dinky creek campground.  No water, pit toilets, about 12 sites.  Was closed because of the beetle infestation but is not noted as closed on the forest service page right now.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sierra/recarea/?recid=45494

I would call any to verify.  It was closed at the beginning of this month.

This looks very promising. Good info! Thank you. Approx how far from some of the trails is this campground? Any recommended trails in the area other than the ones I've already listed?

OCD [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2017, 06:15:28 AM »

Is this camping area closer to some of the trails than some of the other campgrounds in the area? Our wheeler is a trailer queen and we usually don't take the time to air up unless absolutely necessary. Kind of a pain...

85-4roller

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -92
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Save our forest from the sierra club
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2017, 10:35:01 AM »
Not a official campground, but some large spaces for trailers.
 It is on the way to Gigantea campground & I thought Gigantea was open when I went by it a few weeks ago..
 Gigantea is closer to the trails. 

Save our forest from the sierra club, they are the enemy of outdoor enthusiast everywhere.

OCD [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 01, 2017, 11:24:47 AM »
Not a official campground, but some large spaces for trailers.
 It is on the way to Gigantea campground & I thought Gigantea was open when I went by it a few weeks ago..
 Gigantea is closer to the trails.

Appreciate the info. Thank you!