Author Topic: No spark -- bad igniter?  (Read 16660 times)

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
No spark -- bad igniter?
« on: Aug 22, 2017, 10:47:52 AM »
Hi all,

So, the other day I was waiting at a red light in town when I heard a tic-tic-tic-tic start up somewhere under the hood about directly in front of me and maybe a little to the left. I had just enough time to think "That doesn't sound good. I should look into it sometime" before the engine died.

I've tried everything I can think of, but can't get spark. The coil checks out as best as I can tell with a cheap ohm meter, the HT lead to the distributor checks out, and there is 12V at the brown wire coming to the igniter. Do I conclude the igniter is bad? I am hesitant to replace a $200 part on the grounds that all the others seem fine. Especially since many people say this is a really rare failure. But then again, that noise could have been the igniter shorting inside...

Any thoughts? Anyone had this before?

Thanks,

Lewis
P.S. It's an '85 22r. Lots of miles on the igniter, too: at least 150,000

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: No spark -- bad igniter?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2017, 11:31:20 AM »
Man you have all the luck don't you!

If your ignitor is getting everything it needs but no spark it might have gone bad.  I have had one go bad spontaneously, one other I fried with welding.  SO yes they can go bad.

Other things to check are the pick up coil in the distributor and those pick up wires, I have had those get crusty enough to not work.  It sounds like you eliminated those already though.

Want me to see if I have an ignitor for you in the shed?
Post up a photo of the style you have.
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2017, 11:48:10 AM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,256
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2017, 11:32:33 AM »
Ignitors don't usually make a noise when they fail.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2017, 11:50:25 AM »
That is true.  When I had a tick tick tick and then no spark once I had a rotor wipe out. That was on a GM HEI on a 215 Buick, but same thing.
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

05sport4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3411
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2017, 01:01:42 PM »
I had an intermittent no start on my 89 22re with no spark to the spark plugs.  Thought it was the igniter so I bought a new one and still no start.  Ended up being in the distributor which was replaced.  Still have the brand new unused igniter.
John

05 4Runner Sport 4x4 V6 - Hanna Sliders
89 Extra Cab 4x4 Pickup, 3.4 w/auto conversion, Diamond 9.5" front, Ruffstuff rear 9.5", 5.29's w/ARB's, dual case 2.28-4.7, 40x13.5

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2017, 05:19:58 PM »
Here are the photos.

Enviado desde mi ASUS_X008DC mediante Tapatalk

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2017, 05:22:25 PM »
Oh -- and I hook a spark plug up to the ignition coil output and still have no spark.

OVRAROK

• Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Aug 22, 2017, 05:30:05 PM »
Could also be the pickup inside the distributor
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 22, 2017, 05:59:00 PM »
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Epirate4x4%2Ecom%2Fforum%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D179253&share_tid=179253&share_fid=4267&share_type=t

complete bypass of toy ignitor and coil for 30$

Thanks, this will be great to know next time I'm stranded. However, for a non-emergency repair, I'm not inclined to go that route... I want a Toyota pickup, not an Autozone pickup

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 22, 2017, 05:59:33 PM »
Could also be the pickup inside the distributor

Well, its resistance checked out. How else do I test it?

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #11 on: Aug 22, 2017, 06:32:02 PM »
There is fairly simple way to check the diag codes watching the blinks on the Check Engine light.

Jumper T and E1 on the check connector.

Code 3 and Code 6 will usually give a clue.

The Codes point you in the “trouble areas”  - ignitor, ignitor circuit, ECU, or distributor.

In the FSM (1986 Repair Manual - Truck & 4Runner) Pages FI-22 thru 25 will give you the details for diagnostic procedure.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 22, 2017, 06:53:09 PM »
Sorry, Gnarls. You're living in EFI land. I don't even have a check engine light.

I wish it were possible. I swore I'd stay aloof from EFI and mercilessly tease those who had it, but right now I must admit a diag port would be nice.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #13 on: Aug 22, 2017, 06:55:42 PM »
Hey Lewis,

Have you checked the fuses in the driver’s side fuse box that sits right above the kick panel?  There’s a 15A Engine fuse and 75A Ignition fuse.  There’s a Main Relay just inside the kick panel.

I don't know for sure if those failures would cause no spark, but without testing myself, probably will.  The last time I had a no spark, it was the ignitor on my 1985 22R, and it was, so far, the only ignition failure I've had.

Gnarls.

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 22, 2017, 07:05:37 PM »
Man you have all the luck don't you!

Yup. I have payed heavily for my own ignorance when inspecting the thing before purchase. Next time someone wants to charge me $3500 for a truck with a worn rear diff, glazed brakes all round, bad rear brake shoes, big engine oil leak, bad valve stem seals, bad front axle seals and cracked windshield, my answer is going to be a resounding "NOPE!"

If your ignitor is getting everything it needs but no spark it might have gone bad.  I have had one go bad spontaneously, one other I fried with welding.  SO yes they can go bad.

Other things to check are the pick up coil in the distributor and those pick up wires, I have had those get crusty enough to not work.  It sounds like you eliminated those already though.
As far as I can tell, yes

Want me to see if I have an ignitor for you in the shed?
Post up a photo of the style you have.
Sure... Thanks a bunch. If you find one, PM me your email for PayPal.

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 22, 2017, 07:07:14 PM »
Hey Lewis,

Have you checked the fuses in the driver’s side fuse box that sits right above the kick panel?  There’s a 15A Engine fuse and 75A Ignition fuse.  There’s a Main Relay just inside the kick panel.

I don't know for sure if those failures would cause no spark, but without testing myself, probably will.  The last time I had a no spark, it was the ignitor on my 1985 22R, and it was, so far, the only ignition failure I've had.

Gnarls.
Good thought, Gnarls. I did check the Ignition fuse and it looked fine. If I recall, there is no Engine fuse on a 22R. I will have to look into that main relay.

Did your ignitor happen to go out after getting unusually hot? I took a 500 mile road trip halfway across Wyoming and back just before this. When I stopped in the middle of the drive home to add oil, the engine was just barely below halfway on the temp gauge (a little higher than normal), but the hood was a bit hot to the touch. And a tiny thread of smoke rose out of the hole when I poured in new oil, so it was certainly hot under there.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #16 on: Aug 22, 2017, 07:08:58 PM »
Sorry, Gnarls. You're living in EFI land. I don't even have a check engine light.

Well... hell... that sucks like a big giant Hoover!  Geezz.... it's been quite awhile, but I thought my old 85 22R had a Check Engine light...???  .... guess it's been way too long.  :smack:

So... no check light... well.... now you might as well be screwed blue and tatoo'd!!  :willynilly:

Just kidding... I'd take my 85 22R back before you can say "no check light"!!  :biggthumpup:

Gnarls.  :inthedark:

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #17 on: Aug 22, 2017, 07:47:00 PM »
Did your ignitor happen to go out after getting unusually hot?

I don't think the engine bay temp at one particular moment does it, its just over time one or more of the discrete components fail.

Back in 199? when it failed, the engine just stopped.  I bought a brand new one from Toyota... OUCH!!  I took the old one and rebuilt it with a 1985 GM ignitor and wired it in to the Toy ignitor case.  I still have the photo that Benjamin (Thank YOU Benjamin, you are an awesome dude!) on the Off-Road.com site posted!!  As I remember that GM ignitor was about $6, and it took me about 1 hour to solder in the ignitor and resistor I bought at RadioShack.  And it worked perfectly.  I had it under my seat for a spare.

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2017, 07:55:09 PM by Gnarly4X »

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #18 on: Aug 22, 2017, 08:24:20 PM »
Test the coil without ignitor.

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #19 on: Aug 22, 2017, 08:26:10 PM »
I also like the GM HEI conversion idea.....

Not Toyota, but here's more info.

http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15779
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 23, 2017, 12:31:10 AM »
So, the other day I was waiting at a red light in town when I heard a tic-tic-tic-tic start up somewhere under the hood about directly in front of me and maybe a little to the left. I had just enough time to think "That doesn't sound good. I should look into it sometime" before the engine died

If the "tic" was more like a "snap", something was grounding out.

I've tried everything I can think of, but can't get spark. The coil checks out as best as I can tell with a cheap ohm meter, the HT lead to the distributor checks out, and there is 12V at the brown wire coming to the igniter. Do I conclude the igniter is bad?

The 1985 FSM located here will walk you through the steps from checking the wires through the igniter.

I am hesitant to replace a $200 part on the grounds that all the others seem fine. Especially since many people say this is a really rare failure. But then again, that noise could have been the igniter shorting inside...

P.S. It's an '85 22r. Lots of miles on the igniter, too: at least 150,000

You have to understand that your rig is 32yrs old and you live in an extreme climate, you passed the "rare Toyota part failure" time frame about 8-10yrs ago.

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 23, 2017, 04:59:35 AM »
Extreme climate?? Seems to me that the Wyoming climate is pretty nice to machines.

I looked at the FSM on day 1, but their instructions made no sense because I couldn't find a pink wire or a yellow wire... All I could find were dirt-colored wires. Maybe I'll try the test now that I have access to wire colors.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #22 on: Aug 23, 2017, 05:16:28 AM »
Extreme climate?? Seems to me that the Wyoming climate is pretty nice to machines.

It's a matter of perspective.  I would be hard pressed to say that Wyoming as a state, based on climate, would be "nice" to machines.

The lowest point in Wyoming is the Belle Fourche River at 3,099 feet above sea level. The Mean Elevation of the state of Wyoming is 6,700 feet above sea level making Wyoming the second highest state just after Colorado.

Compared to other states with "nice" climate, Wyoming certainly could be considered to have extreme climate.

In January, the coldest month generally, man minimum temperatures range mostly from 5 to 10° F. In the western valleys mean values go down to about 5° below zero.

If we are talking about engines, then cold starts are known to cause significant oil lubricated engine component wear.  It would seem that Wyoming's weather, depending upon which elevation you are living, would not be "nice" to engines.

Gnarls. :blah:

« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2017, 05:26:17 AM by Gnarly4X »

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 23, 2017, 06:20:13 AM »
OK, it's a matter of perspective.

Actually, most winters in my part of the state get down to -20 at least once. What I was thinking about was that it is dry.

When I was in a rainy part of Panama, I had a few episodes of trying to fix old AC units and space heaters. I was astounded by the number of things that seemed to spontaneously rust tight or rust away and induce other failures as a result. I came away concluding that the Wyoming climate is really nice to machines.

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 23, 2017, 07:08:50 AM »
I will dig around and see if I have an ignitor for you.  If I do I will just ship it to you and you can try it out first before you give me anything for it.
– Steve McQueen

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #25 on: Aug 23, 2017, 08:26:42 AM »
OK, it's a matter of perspective....... I came away concluding that the Wyoming climate is really nice to machines.... What I was thinking about was that it is dry.

Precipitation can be very bad for vehicles in climates where the DOT uses salt and sand to treat the roadways for ice and snow.  A dry climate is “nicer” to machines than a wet climate.

In the states that salt roads, body and chassis rust and corrosion within 2 years can virtually destroy a vehicle.  Sanded highways cause a huge number of damaged windshields, requiring repair or replacement.  Replacement of windshields on the newer cars and trucks with camera-based technology for lane departure warning, collision detect, heads-up displays, rain sensors, and de-icing heating elements, can cost 100s of dollars and take days to get replaced.

Gnarls.

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Aug 23, 2017, 08:31:05 AM »
:eye:
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Aug 23, 2017, 08:41:16 AM »
It means I am thinking about helping. Have not made My mind up yet.
Bring Me up to speed. I work at a local 40Rentals. I also have some car experience.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Aug 23, 2017, 08:48:35 AM »
Bring Me up to speed.

OK -- My truck stopped running in the middle of the street a few days ago. I cannot get any spark, even hooking #1 plug straight up to the output of the igniton coil.

The ignition coil and sensor in the distributor both check out with an ohm meter, and the ignitor has 12v coming in. I am inclined to blame the ignitor but I'm doing some research before making a $100-$300 leap.

Hope this brings you up to speed. Shouldn't take much... after all, the speed of my truck right now is zero, to any reasonable precision.