Author Topic: WA state Colletor Car plates  (Read 4415 times)

R.DesJardin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 680
  • Male Posts: 489
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
WA state Colletor Car plates
« on: Jan 20, 2017, 08:35:37 AM »
Anyone done this yet with their old Toyotas? I will when mine expire next summer since its not a daily it fits in perfect in the rules with what the street/hot rodders do with their cars. One fee plates for a lifetime.
R.DesJardin
"If I didn't live in the middle of nowhere!"

2RZ-A340F-Duals-locked FR/RR-IROK's

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Re: WA state Colletor Car plates
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2017, 08:38:58 AM »
I considered it, but my military veteran plates are also a "forever" plate

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2017, 08:43:16 AM »
Anyone done this yet with their old Toyotas? I will when mine expire next summer since its not a daily it fits in perfect in the rules with what the street/hot rodders do with their cars. One fee plates for a lifetime.

Don't see it being a problem. See lots of them on the trails. I think mudmaster runs one.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3754
  • Male Posts: 2,853
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2017, 10:29:27 AM »
I've been running one for a few years now with no issues.
Time to go wheelin!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2017, 12:23:48 PM »
Oregon does the same.  Main thing is it has to be at least 25 years old.  And you only get one plate, for the rear.  And a one time renewal fee.  I am going this route next time. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

R.DesJardin [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2017, 06:19:23 PM »
Oregon does the same.  Main thing is it has to be at least 25 years old.  And you only get one plate, for the rear.  And a one time renewal fee.  I am going this route next time. 

Yeah, seems weird a 82 Toyota qualifies, and on IROK's and all tubed up, I think its great.
R.DesJardin

Thefishguy77

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2017, 10:01:05 PM »
There are exceptions it's for a collector rig. To be driven to and from shows and events. Can not be driven for profit and can not be a daily driver.  Can also be driven for testing purposes.   Your call but if it's a daily driver and you dive a route daily with a fair amount of LEO presence then it could cost you a ticket or loss of your plates.

Fwiw 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2017, 06:57:27 AM »
There are exceptions it's for a collector rig. To be driven to and from shows and events. Can not be driven for profit and can not be a daily driver.  Can also be driven for testing purposes.   Your call but if it's a daily driver and you dive a route daily with a fair amount of LEO presence then it could cost you a ticket or loss of your plates.

Fwiw 

This is not true unless the law was changed since I got mine. I was told by the WA DMV no towing or hauling, no other restrictions.
Time to go wheelin!

R.DesJardin [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2017, 07:07:25 AM »

Fwiw 

Yes, I read all that too. I don't DD it it's my wheeler, I built it to wheel not drive around on the street, I drive to and from local runs, once in a while to work. Maybe to a friends house once in a while, pretty much just like the classic car guys do. If I have to go more than 30-40mi from home to wheel I trailer it. Yep 1982 Toyota wheeler rolling on IROKs collector car.
R.DesJardin

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2017, 09:01:45 AM »
Lady at DMV was like "an 89, really?  Welp i guess its 25 years."

Lolz. I had been waiting quite some time for my truck to be old enough.  Permanent registration is beautiful.

hold this. . .

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2017, 09:09:50 AM »
I have been looking into this now that you guys have pointed it out as an option.
Questions
#1 can you go back to a normal registration if you wanted to return to a daily driver?
#2 what plates do you use or do they give you new ones?
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2017, 09:57:29 AM »
1. Don't know ask the DMV
2. They give you the plate
Time to go wheelin!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2017, 10:08:48 AM »
Here is our restrictions for our plates.

"I declare the vehicle described above is to be maintained as a collector’s item used for exhibitions, parades, club activities
and similar functions. I further understand that operation of this vehicle outside of the limitations of the registration
provisions as specified in ORS 805.030 is a Class D traffic infraction and may result in this registration being canceled.
I understand that, if I discontinue antique/special interest registration on this vehicle, I may not use the antique/special
interest plates (whether issued by DMV or provided by me) as registration plates on this vehicle.
I understand it is a crime under ORS 803.385 to certify the truth of a statement when I know it is not true. Such a crime is
a Class A misdemeanor and is punishable by a jail sentence of up to 1 year, a fine of up to $6,250 or both."

ORS 803.385
A person commits the offense of violation of registration limits on antique vehicle or vehicle of special interest if a vehicle is permanently registered under ORS 805.010 (Antique vehicles) or 805.020 (Special interest vehicles) and the person uses the vehicle:
(a) Other than for exhibitions, parades, club activities and similar uses; or
(b) Primarily for the transportation of persons or property.
(2) The offense described in this section, violation of registration limits on antique vehicle or vehicle of special interest, is a Class D traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §240]
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen