Author Topic: Setting up new rig for minor off-roading 100 series landcruiser  (Read 3912 times)

Aman

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hi All:

Great forum. Enjoyable reading and realizing how much more there is to crawling. I am starting out with a 2000 landcruiser for some medium off-roading. Bought the vehicle for some towing and camping. Considering the following as the first modifications - 2-3 inch lift, replace from and rear bumper and add a winch and go with 33" tires and a snorkel.

Having difficulty with selection of lift kit - appears I have limited options. OME appears to most common but it appears that their newer nitrochargers lead to very hardship ride. There are some suggestions on using the OME coils but using a different shocks. For the bumpers - liked the dissent bumpers but can't seem to find pricing and contact info.

Will call marlin (or drive up there) on the upcoming weeks - I am sure they will have some pointers.

Understand that my rig will never be as capable as other 4 runners/ hilux's - but planing to have some fun with it. Seeking any thoughts/ suggestions/ guidance.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Are you looking into bolt-on bumpers or something more custom?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

Willard

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1608
  • Male Posts: 627
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Hi All:

Great forum. Enjoyable reading and realizing how much more there is to crawling. I am starting out with a 2000 landcruiser for some medium off-roading. Bought the vehicle for some towing and camping. Considering the following as the first modifications - 2-3 inch lift, replace from and rear bumper and add a winch and go with 33" tires and a snorkel.

Having difficulty with selection of lift kit - appears I have limited options. OME appears to most common but it appears that their newer nitrochargers lead to very hardship ride. There are some suggestions on using the OME coils but using a different shocks. For the bumpers - liked the dissent bumpers but can't seem to find pricing and contact info.

Will call marlin (or drive up there) on the upcoming weeks - I am sure they will have some pointers.

Understand that my rig will never be as capable as other 4 runners/ hilux's - but planing to have some fun with it. Seeking any thoughts/ suggestions/ guidance.
My buddy is running slinky dual rate coil springs on his and they are awesome. Look up his youtube acct. it's called BigDreamsInMotion. He has also ran all kinds of different shocks and has a lot of input that may help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
90'4runner......lots of goodies.

toe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -60
  • Male Posts: 1,693
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
Me

Aman [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Are you looking into bolt-on bumpers or something more custom?

promising
I am quite open to anything - dissent looked promising because of its quite low profile giving greater approach and exit angles and it is supposedly much lighter than most other bumper. Open to custom as well... anything you would suggest?

Aman [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
My buddy is running slinky dual rate coil springs on his and they are awesome. Look up his youtube acct. it's called BigDreamsInMotion. He has also ran all kinds of different shocks and has a lot of input that may help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for pointing me in this direction. I checked his posts - his rigs are 80 series and awesome. I also like that his set-up is versatile - he is using it for family camping, off-roading and towing. Will be reaching out to him for some advice. Thank you.

Aman [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
there are other choices like ironman for coils and torsion bars. I will be getting fox shocks on mine when my stock replacements wear out. There's really not much info here on the 100 series. IH8MUD is the place to find the most info.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/100-series-cruisers.26/
in my opinion slee has some of the nicest bumpers for these trucks like the blueberry front 
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/bumpers/front_bumpers_100series.htm
and slee rear
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/bumpers/rear_bumpers_100series.htm

I love my 100 series but am dreaming of a 200 now that prices for used ones have come down a bit. They don't look as good as the 100 but that 5.7 and coil sprung ifs (instead of torsion) are calling my name.
congrats on the hundy now all you have to do is buy a mini truck for the hard core stuff and have the best of both worlds. No 80s series owner can ever argue with that logic.

thanks - checking IH8MUD as we speak - the slee blueberry is like a masterpiece and appears to be prices as such as well :) - may have to still consider it if I run out of options

Aman [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

HBlom

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Member since Jan '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
promising
I am quite open to anything - dissent looked promising because of its quite low profile giving greater approach and exit angles and it is supposedly much lighter than most other bumper. Open to custom as well... anything you would suggest?
Can't remember if i talked to you about it, but check out Northwest Trail Innovations. Tell Corey that Phil told you to call 👍

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

Aman [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
No luck with northwest trails - they have not done the 100 series. Under yet