Author Topic: 1978 Chinook original..A/C install question...Carb vacuum..parts  (Read 2386 times)

Chinook/fj55

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hello

I want to install an A/C on the 1978 Chinook.  Its all original. The carb is original and rebuilt.  The smog stuff is there.  My questions:

Does my original carb have the ports necessary for the idle kickup solenoid or whatever vacuum line i need?

Will my bosch 50amp alternator and original VR be good enough?

What all parts do i need?

Here is a list i obtained from another post; do all apply for me?

AC Compressor, clutch, bracket
3rd front pulley
Underdash AC unit (don't forget all hardware)
AC Amplifier (Under the dash...like an AC computer)
AC compressor On/Off button from the dash
Idle kickup solenoid/valve (On top of the motor... easy to miss)
condensor, lines, evaporator

any other hints and advice?

thx
john

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
you might could install a manual choke cable but use a chain on the end so it doesnt stop the throttle when you hit it.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Chinook/fj55 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
@79coyotefrg

what pics would you like? im not sure how to post them because when i click the photo button it just places this in the field instead of pulling up the finder so i can browse my photos.  sorry new to posting on forums, mostly i just lurk for the info i need.

id like to know basically how these systems were installed stock.  if anyone has an exploded diagram of everything id love to see it?  i know that back in the day you could buy a kit and have the dealer install it.  that would lead me to think that the original carb would be ok for a period correct ac system. but im not sure and i don't have the ac parts in front of me.  i have a guy selling them off a 78 toyota camper.  i want to make sure i get what i need and that it'll work.  and then probably have questions when i go to install it. 

thx