Author Topic: Hard start in mornings  (Read 14567 times)

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
Hard start in mornings
« on: Aug 31, 2016, 08:57:36 PM »
Yes, I've done reading on this and I think I have it figured out. But before I spend money I wanted to see what your guys thought. My truck is having problems starting only in the morning. I can let it sit for 8 hours in the day time and it'll start just fine. So I did the tests on the CSI and Thermo Switch and the CSI was bad so I bought a remaned one and it somewhat helped the problem. Now when I go to start it I crank it for about 10 seconds and it won't start so I give it a break and when I go to crank it again it starts up perfectly. Now I know it isn't bad wiring as I've been through the harness more times then I'd like to say.

Which brings me to what I think. It sounds like it could be a bad fuel pressure regulator but that doesn't explain why it's fine during the day. Which means it could be the Thermo Switch but that tested out fine. This truck runs like a champ after she starts up. No bad running for 10 seconds or so like in the other threads.

I am very limited on what I can actually do as I have moved states and am living in an apartment complex now and I don't feel like being kicked out. AN I don't have the funds to pay someone o figure it out either.

Anyone else have input?

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Hard start in mornings
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2016, 09:00:35 PM »
This is on a 22re?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

Mudder [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2016, 09:03:41 PM »
You beat me to it. I Was about to update the thread as it is a 22re.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,272
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2016, 06:01:09 AM »
Hey Mudder,

So you know there are two things needed to fire an engine.... A/F mixture and spark.  I think most starting issues are fuel related.

Have you tried not touching the gas peddle, turning the ignition switch on, wait 20 seconds, count them, then turn the starter?

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2016, 06:58:43 AM »
Whenever I had this issue back when I had a 22RE the only thing that ever fixed it was when I deep cleaned my throttle body. Don't know what in particular needed cleaning as I cleaned the plate, all the passages, etc.

Mudder [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2016, 08:45:32 AM »
Throttle body is cleaned as I did  it while waiting for engine parts.
TPS is good as I just adjusted it a few weeks ago.
New IACV as my old one took a dump.
AFM is good as I was tracking down another issue and had to check it out.
Battery is wonderful, it's an exide AGM that's barely a year old.
EGR is hooked up but nothing going to it as I lost one of the block off plates.
I replaced the coolant temp sensor a little while ago and it's still good.
Injectors were just freshly rebuilt. I think tomorrow before I start it I'll crack the cold start injector line to see if anything comes out.

Gnarly, I waited 20 seconds and it did start a little bit better. But it was 10* warmer this morning. I just ordered a time switch as mine it cracking near where the connector attaches to the base. I never noticed that before so I really hope it's my problem.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Sep 01, 2016, 08:58:08 AM »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Mudder [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 01, 2016, 09:02:35 AM »
CSI connector is good as I tested it when I tested the CSI, which was bad so I replaced that. But I'll double check it later today hopefully.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Sep 01, 2016, 09:11:54 AM »
OK, well... it could be a vacuum problem.  Is it sucking air somewhere?

Have you power-washed your engine recently or used any kind of engine degreaser? Possibly causing a bad connection issue.

Have you checked all the wires and connectors to the sensors?

I'm just thinking out loud??  :inthedark:

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2016, 09:40:59 AM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Sep 01, 2016, 09:36:33 AM »
Hey Mudder,

You might also pull the fuses and push them back in.  You might disconnect the round connectors and clean the contacts with a can of spray electronic contact cleaner.

Gnarls.

Mudder [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 01, 2016, 11:12:18 AM »
I haven't washed the engine bay with high pressure for a while as it seemed every time I did an alternator went out!

I'll do the fuse thing and pick up a can of CRC today and see if that helps.

The wiring connections are good as I just had this harness open a little bit ago to solder all the fuel injector grounds.

Vacuum lines are good, I just replaced the fuel pressure reg vacuum line today as it was getting old and I went through my intake tube when I got a tank of bad gas making sure it wasn't a vacuum leak.

I also have bled the coolant system to make sure there was no air left in it. The part the frustrates me is that this issue came up out of nowhere.

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 01, 2016, 12:48:41 PM »
 :popcorn:
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #12 on: Sep 01, 2016, 01:59:18 PM »
With age,  the fuel pressure leaks out overnight.    So in the morning you don't have any fuel flow until pressure builds up.

Hey Mudder,

So you know there are two things needed to fire an engine.... A/F mixture and spark.  I think most starting issues are fuel related.

Have you tried not touching the gas peddle, turning the ignition switch on, wait 20 seconds, count them, then turn the starter?

Gnarls.

That trick doesn't work on a 22RE.......

The fuel pump doesn't turn on with the ignition.    There needs to be some airflow before the fuel pump turns on (i.e. cranking)....

But there is a trick....

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/index.shtml#FuelPump

I automated the jumper wire by using a BIG capacitor instead.   When you first turn on the ignition and before the capacitor is charged it acts like the jumper wire.     Fuel pump runs about 15 seconds and turns off when capacitor get charged up.....
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #13 on: Sep 01, 2016, 04:05:33 PM »
I've seen Roger's trick before. His contributions have been incredible!

My first 1986 22RE fired up instantly EVERY single time, in freezing temps or 120d F in the summer.  I never had to touch the gas pedal..just turned the key.

Roger's trick is a "fix", but I'm curious about WHAT caused Mudder's engine to not want to start?  :inthedark:

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #14 on: Sep 01, 2016, 04:13:09 PM »
Hey Mudder,

The ECU should be powered up when the ignition switch is turned "on", and "seeing" all the sensors.  If it got clitched or caught some garbled data, it might just need to be reset.  I know I'm just pulling straws out of my butt.... but I would disconnect the battery, wait 5 minutes and reconnect the battery.  I realize you may loose your radio settings.

Gnarls.  :inthedark:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #15 on: Sep 01, 2016, 06:12:43 PM »
sounds like you need new injector seals
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Mudder [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 01, 2016, 06:30:01 PM »
sounds like you need new injector seals

I hope not. I just got these maybe a month and a half ago from LCE. AN needless to say if I have to return these it may be the last time I do business with them.

Gnarly, I'll try that next week after I install the new cold start thermo time switch I ordered since there's a crack in the plastic on mine.

emsvitil, I'll jump Bp and F+ (or whatever it is) tomorrow morning and see if that does the trick. If so then I'd have to agree with 79coyotefrg about the injector seals being bad as it shouldn't lose pressure since in theory it's a closed system. But I know it could also be a bad fuel pump or FPR.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #17 on: Sep 01, 2016, 07:09:39 PM »
Hey Mudder,

How fresh is your O2 sensor?

Gnarls. :inthedark:

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #18 on: Sep 01, 2016, 07:45:12 PM »
If there's a pressure loss, it could be the fuel pump; and the injectors are fine.

I don't think there's a check valve in the system.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #19 on: Sep 01, 2016, 07:46:34 PM »
... after I install the new cold start thermo time switch I ordered since there's a crack in the plastic on mine.

Hey Mudder,

Why do you think the CSTTS is bad?  Did you test it with an Ohm meter?

Gnarls.

Mudder [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 01, 2016, 07:56:39 PM »
Hey Mudder,

Why do you think the CSTTS is bad?  Did you test it with an Ohm meter?

Gnarls.

I don't believe it is bad. But with it showing its age and the plastic cracking I'd rather replace it before it goes out. I know Salt Lake gets cold in the winter and last thing I need is my truck to not start when I'm trying to get to school.

O2 sensor isn't even 2k miles old, I replaced it as part of my new engine maintenance.

emsvitil, wouldn't a bad fuel pump cause problems all the time though? It's only starting in the mornings that give me problems. THroughout the rest of the day it's fine. I cleaned the contacts and such and will see how it is in the morning when I jumper the fuel pump connectors at the diagnostics box.

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #21 on: Sep 01, 2016, 08:30:04 PM »
If you lose fuel pressure overnight (leakage back thru the pump), the injectors won't work until there's pressure again.

Once the pump is spinning, it's fine.............
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Mudder [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sep 01, 2016, 08:47:30 PM »
If you lose fuel pressure overnight (leakage back thru the pump), the injectors won't work until there's pressure again.

Once the pump is spinning, it's fine.............

I didn't even think of that. I guess tomorrow I'd find out since I'll jumper the two connections. If it starts right away I'll be really happy and I'll save up money to order in a new fuel pump and see if I can find someone to help me install it.

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #23 on: Sep 01, 2016, 09:05:46 PM »
I didn't even think of that. I guess tomorrow I'd find out since I'll jumper the two connections. If it starts right away I'll be really happy and I'll save up money to order in a new fuel pump and see if I can find someone to help me install it.

Or do my capacitor trick...............much cheaper and easier........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Mudder [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sep 01, 2016, 09:19:10 PM »
I had read your right up. But I think I may have caused it to crack when hooking stuff up as it's cracking near the base. So it's where the plastic mates with the metal. And I will do your idea for now. I just don't want to be driving home (600 miles away) and have the pump crap out on the side of the road.

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #26 on: Sep 01, 2016, 09:28:34 PM »
Capacitor is 38000 MFD @ 15v that I got from a surplus store (I'm thinking $2)

Been in the truck for over 10 years.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Mudder [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Sep 02, 2016, 06:50:05 AM »
I don't believe it's the fuel pump. I jumped the terminals this morning and have it 10 seconds and it still had hard starting. The fuel pump actually seemed to have made it worse.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #28 on: Sep 02, 2016, 04:59:11 PM »
Hey Mudder,

My gut feeling says it's a fuel thing and it's not getting enough fuel/air mixture to fire.  :dunno:

A spark thing will usually show up before, during, and after firing.

Based upon what you have done to this rebuild, you have probably installed a new gas filter.

Have you disconnected the banjo gas fitting to see if you are getting fuel to the cold start injector and you have ohmed the terminals on the thermo time switch?

Did you disconnect the battery to see if the ECU will reset and possibly clear any bad sensor data?

I'm still trying to figure it out????????????????? :disturbed:

« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2016, 05:07:41 PM by Gnarly4X »

Mudder [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sep 02, 2016, 07:10:18 PM »
Hey Mudder,

My gut feeling says it's a fuel thing and it's not getting enough fuel/air mixture to fire.  :dunno:

A spark thing will usually show up before, during, and after firing.

Based upon what you have done to this rebuild, you have probably installed a new gas filter.

Have you disconnected the banjo gas fitting to see if you are getting fuel to the cold start injector and you have ohmed the terminals on the thermo time switch?

Did you disconnect the battery to see if the ECU will reset and possibly clear any bad sensor data?

I'm still trying to figure it out????????????????? :disturbed:

Fuel is getting to the cold start. I do have a new fuel filter as I go a bad tank of gas a couple weeks ago but this problem has been going on before then. I plan on rechecking the CSTTS this weekend along with unhooking the battery.