Author Topic: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild  (Read 396836 times)

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
Re: Gnarly4X's 22RE Rebuild
« Reply #870 on: May 07, 2017, 11:07:02 AM »
Gnarls,

I have been reading this thread with interest, and one thing occurs to me about your cam that it seems no-body has mentioned. If they have, or you have already thought of it, forgive my repetitiveness.

You have been expressing doubts about the quality of this cam for a while. Others have come along insisting that theirs works fine. I'm not trying to settle this debate -- I'm sure there are people that use these cams with wonderful results.

I have also heard vague accusations around the web that Enginebldr may be cutting corners. I have no knowledge whatever of this, but if it were true, it could explain a lot. If they are cutting corners, I don't think that it would mean their cams are uniformly bad. Instead, they might be non-uniformly great. Put another way, they might not hold good tolerances, so for some particular model, 50% of their cams might be wonderful, 40% good, and 10% duds. It occurs to me that you might have got a dud (especially your much earlier comment that it seemed rough), and the good experience of others with this particular cam wouldn't mean nuthin' to the contrary.

I'm pretty sure you have had similar thoughts to what I just outlined. But coming from an outside perspective (admittedly, one that includes very little general knowledge of engine tuning), this seems like a highly possible explanation.

I am anxious to see what you find out about fuel pressure. By all means, check the cheap and easy things first. But my 2c is not to forget the cam.

Lewis.

P.S. I run a carb