Author Topic: Performance cam or stock cam on rebuilt engine  (Read 2600 times)

Aaronm

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 164
  • Male Posts: 404
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Performance cam or stock cam on rebuilt engine
« on: Mar 29, 2016, 08:28:30 PM »
I just bought a 4runner with a 22re  engine from an aftermarket toyota company up-north. The previous owner ordered it with a 260 cam and bored 020. Anyway when he installed it the first thing he noticed is that it leaked antifreeze between the head and  the block. When he tried to contact the company they refused to answer the phone or deal with him and he eventually had to pay for a new head gasket and never got a refund or anything from the company and they eventually would only hang up on him. After all of the lies the company told him he is not sure if they gave him a 260 or just a stock cam. OK all that story to  ask if their is a way to tell if the engine has a stock cam or not with out pulling the cam out.
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,141
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
Re: Performance cam or stock cam on rebuilt engine
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2016, 09:14:43 PM »
If the cam is factory it should have a flat casting mark between lobes one and two or the toyota ''teq'' symbol between lobes three and four. You can see these marks with just the valve cover off, you may need to rotate the engine by hand to get the cam in the right position.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2016, 08:16:02 PM »
so they rebuilt it an it had a bad head gasket? I would be worried they didn't deck the block or check the head
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 164
  • Male Posts: 404
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2016, 09:16:45 PM »
so they rebuilt it an it had a bad head gasket? I would be worried they didn't deck the block or check the head

Yeah, I am a little nervous about it. The guy I bought the runner from said he hasnt had a problem after changing the head gasket. I think I may start saving up for a 3rz.
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 11, 2016, 01:30:37 PM »
You can still have a "stock" cam profile without it being a stock Toyota cam.  I guess you could mic the lobes as there are stock lob specs in the Haynes manual.  Lob diameter will tell you nothing about lift but if it's larger than it supposed to be it probably the 260, if it's close to stock it probably stock profile.

I am running one of the "stock" aftermarket cams on my 22r.  It doesn't have much legs but the bottom end is really good.  Just drove it 2,000 miles over 4 passes and it pulled them all at 50-55 mph in 3rd or 4th gear with 35" tires and all loaded down with  the family and food, luggage, etc.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2016, 05:20:41 PM »
I just bought a 4runner with a 22re  engine from an aftermarket toyota company up-north. The previous owner ordered it with a 260 cam and bored 020. Anyway when he installed it the first thing he noticed is that it leaked antifreeze between the head and  the block. When he tried to contact the company they refused to answer the phone or deal with him and he eventually had to pay for a new head gasket and never got a refund or anything from the company and they eventually would only hang up on him. After all of the lies the company told him he is not sure if they gave him a 260 or just a stock cam. OK all that story to  ask if their is a way to tell if the engine has a stock cam or not with out pulling the cam out.

he bought a complete engine or he bought a cam and put it in his engine and then had coolant leak??

even if an engine has never been fired you can have issues installing a cam without a new headgasket.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way