Author Topic: BFGoodrich All Terrain KO2 35x12.50 15 Review  (Read 43619 times)

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: BFGoodrich All Terrain KO2 35x12.50 15 Review
« Reply #30 on: Jul 29, 2016, 04:25:12 PM »
What pressure are you running on the street?

Wearing out the center sounds like overinflation.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jul 30, 2016, 11:02:45 AM »
10k with minimal wear(would think the welded rear is the main cause of wear) is good to hear, just picked up a set of them in 33's on the 4th, if I am lucky they might see 15k before they dry rot. :greengrin:

At 7psi these things get about a 15" long tread patch.  Pretty compliant carcasses.  12 psi would have been fine and made steering easier.  These things definitely flex and ooze around rocks very well.  In the second photo below you can see the side wall contorting around a small boulder pretty well.  I'm expecting great things from these tires in deep snow based on this.

12psi is what I have always ran the BFG AT's at in the rocks.  It is enough psi to Ivan Stewart the logging roads to and from the trails, absorbs all the washboards, and low enough to grip the rocks, anything lower IME tends to flatten them out too much for use other than in the snow.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Aug 01, 2016, 07:48:21 AM »
What pressure are you running on the street?

Wearing out the center sounds like overinflation.

About 28-30psi most of the time.  I think on the 8" wheel a flat footprint would require somewhere around 20-22 psi.  That would probably be OK for handling but a bit of drag for fuel economy.  These carcasses just don't flatten out like the older style ones used to.  I've ran older BFG All Terrain 12.50s on a 7" rim before with a flatter tread face than these on 8" rims.  I really think they need to be on a 10" rim for ideal tread patch while maintaining decent highway psi.

I guess I could try like 25-26 psi for a while.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Aug 01, 2016, 09:14:39 AM »
I would like to add again that I do in fact like these tires.  I'm just trying to be super objective and honest in this review, no just say "these are the bestest tires ever" just because I am running them.  :)

The welded rear is definitely a factor, but even with that I don't see these getting the tread life of earlier incarnations.  Last set of 4 KOs we ran were on a truck I had for work and then on my buddies '85 4runner, both with welded rears, and we ran them for well over 40K, I'm guessing closer to 50K. Those were 33x9.50 15s and had a very flat tread profile at street pressure on 8" wheels.  I bought those back in 2006.  Same old story where they started to crack out before they were worn out.
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2016, 10:27:19 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Aug 02, 2016, 12:38:51 AM »
I would like to add again that I do in fact like these tires.  I'm just trying to be super objective and honest in this review, no just say "these are the bestest tires ever" just because I am running them.  :)

The welded rear is definitely a factor, but even with that I don't see these getting the tread life of earlier incarnations.  Last set of 4 KOs we ran were on a truck I had for work and then on my buddies '85 4runner, both with welded rears, and we ran them for well over 40K, I'm guessing closer to 50K. Those were 33x9.50 15s and had a very flat tread profile at street pressure on 8" wheels.  I bought those back in 2006.  Same old story where they started to crack out before they were worn out.

I think the tread is a little softer, mine seam to be a little more stickier when cornering then the last set two sets, BFGmay have softened the tread compound to improve their performance in the rocks.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Aug 02, 2016, 11:31:24 AM »
Did the chalk line test today.  25 psi for a flat tread patch on an 8" rim.  I am going to run it and see if my mileage suffers at all.
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Aug 08, 2016, 02:35:07 PM »
So everybody knows I pretty much don't get to go wheeling unless I end up HAVING to go wheeling.  That's just how life has been for me the last few years.  We have our horses out at a guys place for the summer.  It's a few hundred acres of what we call coulees.  Just grass and dirt with a little water here and there.  There is one long bottom valley with lumpy grass terrain and a reedy, muddy creek winding through.  The sides have near vertical gumbo bluffs broken occasionally with little v shaped ravines that make it to the top of the bluffs-  these are fun to drive up. 

It's divided into two fenced parcels with a couple barbed wire gates in the middle.  The water hole on the front place has gone dry but the back place has a big water hole.  The bottom gate is open but the horses won't go to the back for water.  He calls me up and want's me to go out and put the horses in the back where the water is.

The horses love my wife and kids but have never been very impressed with me.  I find them and try to coax them with some grain so they follow me to the back but the pretty black mare throws a fit for some reason and takes off with the other three to the top of the bluffs.  Dumbass.

At this point I decide to go scout out the water so I know where it is at.  After finding the water by meandering all around the coulees at about 10psi I see the horses up top.  I wheeled up a v-notch ravine to the top of the bluffs and found another barbed wire gate.  The horses were on the other side so I dumped the grain and opened the gate.  They went in and I shut the gate, so now they are in with the water!

During this project I got to wheel some ravines and some dry gumbo.  I have to say that these KO2s must be the dirt wheeling tire of all time.  They climb vertical dirt stair steps and undercuts like they are nothing. Slick grass also feels like dry rock.  The new pretty side lugs sidewall dirt and track nicely into sidewall situations. 

They also seem to tolerate being driven over prickly pear cactus as well.  I picked up a few spines but they did not penetrate.  Not surprising for a desert tire.

Another nice thing is that they just don't dig much unless you really try.  This is nice for wheeling private property where the rancher wouldn't like you to make new ruts up the side of his grass.

On the way out I was on miles gravel and dirt farm roads with lots of corners.  I was still at 10 psi :).  These things drift very nicely with a long tread patch and a spooled rear. You can hang the rear end WAY out and still feel in total control.  They seem to have just the right amount of yaw not to make you crash and burn.  I was taking sandy gravel 90s at about 40 mph.  Feels like a race inspired design for sure.  I have no pictures of this because I was too busy driving, but you get the idea.
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2016, 08:51:48 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Aug 08, 2016, 02:36:15 PM »
Stock water & stubborn horses... I even found this one rock!
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Aug 15, 2016, 08:08:08 AM »
Went on a road trip with the tires at 25 psi this weekend and it did not effect mileage at all. I actually got 19 mpg pulling passes and corners in the mountains, best tank I ever had.  I'm not saying the lower psi and flatter footprint got better fuel economy, but it certainly didn't hurt it any.
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Oct 04, 2016, 07:42:50 AM »
Having a bit of mud lately.  I am finding these to be pretty decent in mud that you can penetrate, and anything slightly "tacky" . I said it before but the side lug treatment works well in ruts.  If it's flat hard bottom with grease mud on top, not so much. In true gumbo they pack up pretty easy.  A lot of wheel speed helps here but still not performing equal to a mud tire.  The Falkens were actually better in the mud.

I have found they are hydroplaning more than I would like in our rutted 2 laner highways.

Looking forward to some more snow where these things shine...

– Steve McQueen

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Oct 08, 2016, 08:14:48 PM »
Having a bit of mud lately.  I am finding these to be pretty decent in mud that you can penetrate, and anything slightly "tacky" . I said it before but the side lug treatment works well in ruts.  If it's flat hard bottom with grease mud on top, not so much. In true gumbo they pack up pretty easy.  A lot of wheel speed helps here but still not performing equal to a mud tire.  The Falkens were actually better in the mud.

I have found they are hydroplaning more than I would like in our rutted 2 laner highways.

Looking forward to some more snow where these things shine...

Not too happy to hear about you having hydroplaning issues. Was leaning towards them but in WA we get rain ocassionally.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Oct 11, 2016, 07:51:19 AM »
Not too happy to hear about you having hydroplaning issues. Was leaning towards them but in WA we get rain ocassionally.

I would not run these in a 12.50 in WA.  If it were a skinnier size on a smaller rig I don't think it would be a problem.  We have these in 235/85 16 on our chevy 1 ton and they don't hydroplane at all.  The wideness really comes into play for sure.

Best 12.50 wide tires I have had for no hydroplaning were the MTR w/Kevlar.  You didn't even feel the water, even at 20% tread depth.  I think it's the angle of the voids.
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Oct 11, 2016, 08:03:00 AM »
I was reminded, however, just this morning of what I bought these tires for.  We had our first really crummy ice on the way to work today.  Rained most of the weekend, starting freezing rain last night and finishing out with a skiff of wet snow.  Really slick conditions and these things stick, brake turn and go with no drama.  Winter and dirt is what these are really for.

– Steve McQueen

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Oct 11, 2016, 11:15:52 AM »
I would not run these in a 12.50 in WA.  If it were a skinnier size on a smaller rig I don't think it would be a problem.  We have these in 235/85 16 on our chevy 1 ton and they don't hydroplane at all.  The wideness really comes into play for sure.

Best 12.50 wide tires I have had for no hydroplaning were the MTR w/Kevlar.  You didn't even feel the water, even at 20% tread depth.  I think it's the angle of the voids.

Maybe ok in a 265/70/17 for a big heavy Sequoia.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3687
  • Male Posts: 2,847
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #44 on: Oct 11, 2016, 01:44:31 PM »
I know interco has this size but I'm not taking long trips with a swamper.

Just turn up the radio  :biggthumpup:

Time to go wheelin!

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Oct 11, 2016, 02:08:33 PM »
thanks for the thorough review. I wish they would make this tire in a 34x10.5r15 or 34x11r15. I like the skinnys. I don't understand why is there a 30,31,32,33,35 but no 34?  what is wrong with this country? I know interco has this size but I'm not taking long trips with a swamper.

The 35 is a 34ish. What you want is a 33ish marked as a 34 or a true 33, right?

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Oct 11, 2016, 02:13:28 PM »
They make 34s for 17s.  Lame.
– Steve McQueen

chunkybutfunky934

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Oct 12, 2016, 07:09:04 PM »
I just put these on my truck also and they work great! Thanks for the thorough review though.

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Dec 05, 2016, 08:33:09 AM »
Well we finally got a few more inches of white in the hills so I loaded up the boys for a little evening snow scouting and a Charlie Brown Christmas tree for a friend.

The BFG KO2 in the snow... YES! 

Now we only had 9-10" of damp powder so this is not a deep snow test, but these things appear to be made FOR the snow.  The same capture and hold aspect of the tread that makes these less than ideal for mud makes them excellent beyond logic in the snow.

We even threw the rig in a drifted in notch from a wash out and you can put your tires right where you want and they stay hooked.  We got into a blow down area with 18" bare, wet, lodge pole pine logs and they are excellent on snow covered wet wood too.  A little bump and the sipes grab right onto the slimy wet wood surface and pop over.

The best way to describe the experience was "no drama" snow wheeling.  You could just go.  Almost boring compared to most mud tires in the snow where you are either crawling to get a hook or using wheel speed to chuck snow and paddle.  Heck most of the time I was lugging around in 1st high.

These things don't really dig down, they just go forward. We were only aired down to like 12-13 psi.

Snow sticks really well to snow.  As you can see the BFG KO2 keeps plenty of snow in the tread to stick to the snow that's not in the tread...
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2016, 09:07:24 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Dec 05, 2016, 08:45:25 AM »
Oh and I'd like to add we went up that "Dunbar Hill" where I like to do my mud test.  Earlier in the thread you can see the somewhat mud fail on this hill.  Well it was covered in regular slick snow, no mud Friday night and we scooted right up it in 2WD like it was nothing.
– Steve McQueen

dbbowen

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 265
  • Male Posts: 192
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawlin / St. Jude Childrens Research Hospital
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Dec 06, 2016, 07:26:34 AM »
So jealous of you guys and your snow wheeling pics

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Dec 06, 2016, 08:22:19 AM »
Come on up!  We have a couch.
– Steve McQueen

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,338
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #52 on: Dec 06, 2016, 09:05:59 AM »
Sweet I can't wait til I get a couch
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Dec 06, 2016, 01:08:16 PM »
OK I did my rotation and checked tread depth with just a little over 18,000 miles on these tires (ODO at 216,912, mounted up tires at 198,800). 

Tread depths range from 33%-51% with an average of 42% for all five tires. 

I would like to also note the tread was measured at the middle of the tread face were the most wear is.  If the reader is just now jumping in on the thread please also know I run a spooled rear and this creates much faster wear on the rear tires than would be typical.

At this rate I would say I will get right at 30,000 miles on these. Not real impressive for an AT since I got about 32,000 out of only 4 MTRs, but as good as these are in the snow and ice, that might be OK.  I drove to work on silver, shiny ice today and it felt like dry pavement.  That's really saying something for a too tall, spooled rear truck on rutted 2 laner.

If these continue to impress me through the winter I may just say they are a good enough fit for what we use this vehicle for to get another set.
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2016, 07:45:54 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,338
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #54 on: Dec 06, 2016, 01:24:48 PM »
OK I did my rotation and checked tread depth with just a little over 18,000 miles on these tires (ODO at 216,912, mounted up tires at 198,800). 

Tread depths range from 33%-51% with an average of 42% for all five tires.  At this rate I would say I will get right at 30,000 miles on these. Not real impressive for an AT since I got about 32,000 out of only 4 MTRs, but as good as these are in the snow and ice, that might be OK.  I drove to work on silver, shiny ice today and it felt like dry pavement.  That's really saying something for a too tall, spooled rear truck on rutted 2 laner.

If these continue to impress me through the winter I may just say they are a good enough fit for what we use this vehicle for to get another set.

That spool eats tires. My mom got 50k out of hers on a fullsize 2500 dodge
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Dec 06, 2016, 03:13:07 PM »
I will concede on the mileage.  I'll bet I drive dumber in my 4Runner than your mom in her full-sized dodge :).

Still though even with the spool I got more miles from 4 of the Goodyear MTR than 5 of these.  Could be that the sticky ATs just don't take the abuse of the spool as well.

However, my old set of 33x9.50s of the last generation KO we got probably 50K+ on two different trucks and we ran those with a spool on both vehicles. Certainly you have to take the mileage on this review with a grain of salt/worst case scenario but I believe these are softer and not as long wearing as the old AT/KO based on comparing both tires with spooled rears. 

I have a few farmer buddies that have these on super-duty fords that run about 90% high speed gravel and they all get the same impression, these are real good but don't last as long as the previous generation.

I got about 50K on a set of the old AT years ago with a heavy foot and a lock-rite peeling out everywhere.

The fact I am running a spool is certainly a fact that makes this a good performance review only.  Everybody with a more friendly rear diff should get way more miles out of them.

I also think these need to be on a 10" wheel.  I have a pretty round tread face on 8".

« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2016, 03:26:08 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Dec 06, 2016, 06:43:36 PM »
An Aussie locker could pay for itself in a couple sets of tires if it resulted in 25% longer life.

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Dec 07, 2016, 07:49:08 AM »
An Aussie locker could pay for itself in a couple sets of tires if it resulted in 25% longer life.

True but we like the way the spooled rear handles on dirt.  Weird I know.

You are correct though it totally pencils out.
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Dec 07, 2016, 08:21:41 AM »
I don't want to be a dink on this review, so everybody reading please note:  I RUN A SPOOL IN THE REAR!

Literally everybody not running a spool will get much more miles out of these than I am getting.  I would estimate 25%-30% more miles based on my experiences in the past.  If I get 30K most guys running open rears or auto lockers should get an easy 40K. 

Maybe more if you run them on a 10" wheel.

Comparing these to the old BFGs I've ran I still say they won't last quite as stupidly long though.  This is probably OK since most guys were rotting out sidewalls before their tread was gone :).
– Steve McQueen

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Dec 07, 2016, 12:02:22 PM »
True but we like the way the spooled rear handles on dirt.  Weird I know.

You are correct though it totally pencils out.

I understand that a spool will eliminate any transitions between drive and coast, but I don't think that having an automatic locker in the rear would be objectionable on the dirt.  I assume that you have run an automatic locker and based on your experience have made a choice?  You could almost justify the cost of a selectable locker and then just lock it up to be a spool when you're on the dirt.