Author Topic: Tire Review: Cooper Discoverer STT PRO (35x12.50x15)  (Read 17194 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Tire Review: Cooper Discoverer STT PRO (35x12.50x15)
« on: Mar 20, 2016, 06:56:02 PM »
Because there isn't a lot of reviews yet for the Cooper Discoverer STT PRO and I just got a set on my 89 4Runner I figured that I should start a review thread and document my experience.

I am not in a position to make a great comparison to other tires because the BFG KM (also 35x12.50x15) that they replaced had been on for over nine years and were replaced due to their age. They only had about 28,000 miles on them and were about 50% tread.

My first impression of the STT PRO tires installed was that they looked more aggressive than I was expecting, this is a good thing if it is an indication of off road performance. So far I have logged less than 100 miles on the pavement and I am convinced that ever set of BFG KM tires I have been around were much smoother when new. I think the KMs that came off may have been smoother than the STT PROs are new. They really have an edge to them. I dropped the psi to 28 from 35 this afternoon so will see how that changes things.  I can also feel them pulling a bit more and between the extra weight (about 6 lbs per tire) and tread width (rolling resistance) they have a very different feel. I was making peace with the new feel today. It almost feels like MY truck again.

If they perform great off road I will quickly forgive any and all street shortcomings, but at this point I would not recommend them to someone wanting a great street tire with superior off road performance.  The KM was, in my opinion, a great combo tire. Now that my 4Runner is a 3rd vehicle and spends most of its time in the garage I am excited about the potential of a more aggressive tire off road.  The KM really isn't available anymore and I have no idea where the newer KM2 would fit in. The KM2 was the other tire I considered.

They measure a full inch shorter than rated (34 inches even) on my 10 inch rims.  This is about 1/2 inch less than what they are spec'd to be. My old BFG KM spare on an 8 inch wheel measured 34-3/4 today so I am sure the KMs were a little bit taller overall. The new KM2s are spec'd to be a little bit taller as well.

More to follow. At the end of April I will be doing a 2,200 mile trip to Moab and back with 6 days of wheeling.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I should add that I was expecting them to balance with a bit less weight after reading the available reviews. I made Discount Tire turn one of the tires 180 on the rim after seeing the stack of weights. It reduced it to about half.  After Moab I will keep a better eye on the process and be more picky. I am not convinced that are balanced well at highway speeds and may have them try again before the trip.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Lookin' forward to your observations.  New tires tend to be a little hard at first. Let's hope that's the case with your truck's new shoes. :thumbs:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Lookin' forward to your observations.  New tires tend to be a little hard at first. Let's hope that's the case with your truck's new shoes. :thumbs:

A little time on the rocks at low psi should soften up the side walls a bit...

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10910
  • Male Posts: 2,416
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
A little time on the rocks at low psi should soften up the side walls a bit...

Might want to come along for a local trip before Moab unless you want to run those bad boys stiff...  :dunno:

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Might want to come along for a local trip before Moab unless you want to run those bad boys stiff...  :dunno:

They will be ok for the trip.  I need to spend one more Sunday afternoon delivering tires to Mudmaster, removing the hard top at a friends house where there's room to store it inside, and then work over the inner fenders.  Outside of that I need to spend my spare time working on my son's new bed.  Lot's of sanding and staining/painting to be done.  There's a real chance that my mom won't be able to come out to help with the kids during the Moab trip so I'll be doing everything I can between now and then to help my wife out.

I have a trip to Gig Harbor tonight to sign the kids up for swimming lessons (starting Sunday, I think, which give me one more thing to do) so that'll give me a chance to see how 28 psi goes down the road.

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
We need some photos!
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
We need some photos!

They are on my build thread. I will try to add some here eventually.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Today, I gave Discount Tire a chance to rebalance the tires. They were tolerable,  but my expectation was higher based on my previous BFGs. They said they suspect the balance machine had been off around the time I got my tires and I wasn't the first to come back. In any case, the tech clearly was more interested in doing an excellent job. One tire was spun 180 degrees and all are now within 0.25 ounces. The passenger side tires were off by 3 and 4 ounces and were the tires I suspected to be the worst. I didn't get a chance to really test the balance at highway speeds yet, but it definitely rides smoother now.

I have put a few miles on the tires at 12 psi and a couple at 7 psi just to work the sidewalls. The mould release stuff is pretty much worn off at this point. The rubber and lugs seem pretty soft, especially at low pressure. I expect they will do great in Moab at the end of the month.

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Did you air them down and wrap 'em around a rock to see how they conform?
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Did you air them down and wrap 'em around a rock to see how they conform?

No, just cruised on the highway mostly and puttered around town.  They will get tested soon enough.

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,336
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
I am lookin forward to a review in the rocks and maybe some Washington trails. I am pretty sure I'll be running these
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I am lookin forward to a review in the rocks and maybe some Washington trails. I am pretty sure I'll be running these

At Discount today I saw a big sweet looking tire and it turned out to be an STT PRO. Love when that happens.

4runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 103
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Sep '03
  • I Love My Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
I'm considering a set of these myself
built not bought 89 4runner
vortec v8, r151, dual cases
4link 1/4 elliptical

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I'm starting to think that these Coopers are susceptible to getting flat spots when they sit around.  It seems that every time I leave my house they feel square and out of balance for the first mile or so and then smooth out.  I don't remember that happening with the BFGs unless they sat at low air pressure for quite a while.

At this point it's just an observation...

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
I'm starting to think that these Coopers are susceptible to getting flat spots when they sit around.  It seems that every time I leave my house they feel square and out of balance for the first mile or so and then smooth out.  I don't remember that happening with the BFGs unless they sat at low air pressure for quite a while.

Pretty standard as you get a more aggressive tire.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3678
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Come on over and take a ride, I'll show you flat spotting.............
Time to go wheelin!

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Pretty standard as you get a more aggressive tire.

I would expect it from your PBRs, Intercos, and three other off road first marketed tires. The STT PRO is a direct competitor to the BFG KM2 and unless the KM2 is structurally different than the KMs I had I would expect them to flat spot. Not a big deal, but definitely another "con" for someone that is looking for a more street friendly tire.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
I would expect it from your PBRs, Intercos, and three other off road first marketed tires. The STT PRO is a direct competitor to the BFG KM2 and unless the KM2 is structurally different than the KMs I had I would expect them to flat spot. Not a big deal, but definitely another "con" for someone that is looking for a more street friendly tire.

My PBRs don't do it actually  :ha_ha: My MTRs did though.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile

So where is the report on how they did in Moab?  :slap:

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
They seemed to work very good from my view.
I would give them a big thumbs up.
Not sure how they would perform in other terrain?
I guess we did get some mud at the end. MOAB MUD !!!!!!! sticky clay!!!!!
At one point it was like pop corn. Carson and I could not stop laughing. Its on video, Felt like we were being attacked.
;) John you remember.

I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
So where is the report on how they did in Moab?  :slap:

The cooler is still sitting in the 4Runner with melted ice, drinks, and maybe a jar of strawberry jelly. It's been a busy week lacking motivation.

I thought the tires did great, but can't say they excelled or lacked compared to my BFGs. There were a few times they slipped when I wasn't expecting it, but there were other times they were clearly clawing for traction. The wet conditions throws a monkey wrench in the equation because the available traction wasn't comparable. Even when dry the rain washed dirt down the obstacles making them a lot more slick.

I never felt like they let me down so I have no complaints at all, but I didn't come away feeling like they were a significant improvement either.

How's that for a worthless review?

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda

How's that for a worthless review?

Did they LOOK GOOD?

:cheese:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
We had the original STTs on Rob's truck, PBRs on Andrew's, Pro Comps on Chris's and I can't say that any of them clearly outperformed or under performed. The PBRs were clearly softer and I saw them biting more than the rest but I didn't see it necessarily make the difference anywhere. Moab has so much traction that it is more about lines. All Terrains are common and do great.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 08:22:55 PM by blackdiamond »

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile

Did they LOOK GOOD?

:cheese:

They do look good. That's for sure.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3678
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
They need an Elbe test in the wet.
Time to go wheelin!

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
They need an Elbe test in the wet.

Hah, the day you get Jon to run that trail is the day hell froze over. He hates mud.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hah, the day you get Jon to run that trail is the day hell froze over. He hates mud.

Definitely not my first choice.  Frozen mud might be better...

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
My review for these tires would have likely been very different had my new rear axle bearings been installed prior to the swap. I think my BFGs may have been masking the bearing noise. Sadly, they can never be new again. They are certainly not quiet, but very acceptable.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I think if my rear axle bearing were not making so much noise when I first got the STT Pros the review wouldn't have included any reference to them feeling harsh.  Even after 2,500 miles and some wheeling abuse they didn't feel harsh to me at all on the ride home yesterday.  I am confident that they are more noisy that the BFGs were new, but they are currently still within acceptable levels for an aggressive mud tread pattern.  They seem to be performing well off road so now that I have pretty much eliminated the harshness from being an attribute of them I can better understand their reviews online and how people would consider running them in a more daily driver application.  It'll be interesting to see how they wear.  The BFGs were super quiet and smooth when new and were a noisy mess at half tread.