Author Topic: Need parts suggestions for front ruff set up. Help a newb buy one time!  (Read 1768 times)

Bananaclip

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 106
  • Member since Mar '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Guy's I've done all of the basics on my 84 extended cab to get her free of rust and ready for suspension.  I originally picked up a ruff stuff 63 kit and some 63 springs but after some research picked up some nice ranger springs. The shorter ranger springs will be nicer for many reasons IMO and I can still use my 63 kit to set it up.

I need your wisdom and recommendations with my front suspension. I have 2 ifs steering boxes, stock 84 rear leafs, 88 rear leafs, and 94 rear leafs in possession to start with. I have read where the 94 mains are longer and will be my base to get a few inches of forward axle location.   THIS IS WHERE ADVISE IS NEEDED......... I am ready to pick up a front spring hanger, frame jigs/tubes, u bolt flip kit, shackles, bushings etc from??????  What parts do you guys recommend for a nice set up and is there any additional things I need to know?  I live in Wv and have to order everything. I want to have everything on hand before I start.  I know I'm asking for your time but I don't have any local Toyota buddies (you guys are my source). 
84 extended cab

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I used the longer '94 style springs in front and due to the length you will have to put shackle hangers under the frame.  Not a huge problem but it makes it hard to keep the ride low.  It does work well for me but I think I would use the shorter early springs if I was going to do it over again.

Also, try to get the bottom few leaves from a stock front pack. The leaves that mostly hang to the rear of the spring pack. They will help it handle without adding stiffness.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
you should buy my springs ;)
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I'm running stock ruf from an 86 4runner. Un touched they sit completely flat and actually ride better than most ifs rigs I've driven. I'm running a tg hanger and shackles with tg ifs box mount. Can't complain about any of it at all. After I do f150 rears I'm sure I'll have ti add to the pack to get her nose up even with the rear. I love ruf, super flexy and ride smooth.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck