Author Topic: Simple E-Brake Mod  (Read 1715 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,059
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Simple E-Brake Mod
« on: Mar 28, 2005, 07:07:31 PM »
Check out this link for how to extend your E-brake levers to clear thicker spring packs.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Shims.shtml

I just installed mine and need to adjust the cable tension.  I also noted that my levers seem to be frozen in place.  It has been several years since they were last usuable.  Any suggestions on how to break them free?   :help:

I realize that this is a ghetto mod that is far inferior to transfer case disc E-brakes, but for $12 I figured that it is money well spent.  I have to many other things to spend my money on like a dual crawler or new rear springs to pay the BIG bucks for a disc E-brake.

Has anyone else installed one of these?  They seem like they should improve the leverage and increase the effectiveness of the E-brake.

:crossed:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

synwars

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 360
  • Male Posts: 485
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Fabbing with Maffy
    • View Profile
    • Can you feel the love?
Re: Simple E-Brake Mod
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2005, 05:51:41 PM »
Can't tell ya, I'm sick of always having to regrease the levers, and I hate climbing inclines and not being able to park without having to shut my truck off and leave it in 1st gear. I'm sure everyone would agree that Toyota drum e-brakes are grossly inadequate. I opted for Sky's t-brake. Looks very rigid and sturdy. Can't wait to install it this weekend!  :biggthumpup:  :drooling:
"Don't let common sense stop you..."

Build up thread:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11425.0

KEEP IT CLEAN PEOPLE!!! :bat:

Yota4life

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -128
  • Male Posts: 1,461
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2005, 07:55:12 PM »
i am having a problem with my ebrake, the right side just keeps tightning itself so tight that the brakes burn and smoke. I dont know why it keeps doing this and its freaken hard to get the drum off when they are soo tight. Have to get the drum off to lossen them. Stupid drum brakes are the worst ever.
88 Toyota Pickup with some stuff...
Build up: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11133.160

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2005, 08:51:38 PM »
i am having a problem with my ebrake, the right side just keeps tightning itself so tight that the brakes burn and smoke. I dont know why it keeps doing this and its freaken hard to get the drum off when they are soo tight. Have to get the drum off to lossen them. Stupid drum brakes are the worst ever.

well you could take the auto ajuster off. you would have to ajust it the old fashened way.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg: