Author Topic: high pinion  (Read 3638 times)

jared A

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
high pinion
« on: Mar 30, 2005, 08:30:36 PM »
why doesnt anyone ever put their 3rd in upside down? sure you would have to modify the housing so that the ring and pinon would fit, but wouldnt this be a free high pinion?

89 toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1198
  • Male Posts: 383
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: high pinion
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2005, 08:32:30 PM »
your axels would spin backwards
89 ext cab sas with diamond +4 1/2" housing 30 spline longs and hub gears, hp elocker, six studs, arp studs in everything, taco rear with elocker. swaped out 22re for 3.4l supercharged, urd 2.0" pulley, urd fuel management, downey headers, flowmaster, cold air intake, marlin clutch that is straining to hold up

jared A [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2005, 08:35:12 PM »
even so, would the inner axles line up with the third even if its upside down?

86 4runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2005, 08:39:44 PM »
i think ive read some thing like this before and i think it said it wouldnt get oiled properly wich would cause problems
86 4 Runner SAS, 37 inch Toyo M/T's, E-Locker rear, Lock Right front. 30 spline Longs, 5.29's, Dual Cases, Warn XD9000i

jared A [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2005, 08:49:35 PM »
really? because the pinion would be higher? whats the differance with a high pinion off an FJ 80?

89 toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1198
  • Male Posts: 383
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2005, 08:50:57 PM »
really? because the pinion would be higher? whats the differance with a high pinion off an FJ 80?
nothing
89 ext cab sas with diamond +4 1/2" housing 30 spline longs and hub gears, hp elocker, six studs, arp studs in everything, taco rear with elocker. swaped out 22re for 3.4l supercharged, urd 2.0" pulley, urd fuel management, downey headers, flowmaster, cold air intake, marlin clutch that is straining to hold up

86 4runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2005, 08:52:56 PM »
i dont know anything about. like i said i just read about. but if it could  be done im sure everyone would have done it by now.  :dunno:
86 4 Runner SAS, 37 inch Toyo M/T's, E-Locker rear, Lock Right front. 30 spline Longs, 5.29's, Dual Cases, Warn XD9000i

jared A [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2005, 08:56:01 PM »
true, but there are new discoveries all the time for these trucks...marlin just made a front wheel drive toyota, no one ever did that before....

86 4runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 30, 2005, 08:58:56 PM »
yeah, true. i guess its worth a shot. good luck

scheid6996

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,216
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 30, 2005, 09:08:09 PM »
no it wont work
When i die, i wana Be buried face down, so anyone who doesnt like me can kiss my :moon:

Its a redneck thing
"Nobody Loves Me"

86 4runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2005, 10:03:50 PM »
an explanation would be nice

mudaddict

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -82
  • Male Posts: 1,829
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
    • All Pro Off Road
« Reply #11 on: Mar 30, 2005, 10:31:47 PM »
ya scheid lets here it haha, the only good way would be to test it!
98 Taco- Super charged, sas'd, bobbed, locked,taco boxed with 39's
Taco Build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88901.0

I work At
All Pro Off Road

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 31, 2005, 12:57:22 AM »
Interesting thought, but I dont think the axles will line up.
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

jared A [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 31, 2005, 06:53:54 AM »
thats what my dad said, but everything looks the same  for both sides, if it works in the back it should work in the fron tupside down

cgbemis

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 560
  • Male Posts: 568
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 2005, 01:21:34 PM »
The low pinion diff spins in the correct direction, it just spins on the coast side of the gears. If you flipped it upside down, you would (like you said) be running backwards. To counter act this, you would need to redesign the T-Case to add either another intermediate gear between the drive gears on the front and rear outputs, or eliminate the one that's there currently, and figure out how to directly link the two output drive gears. Maybe adapt some sort of chain/belt drive. This would make your front driveshaft spin the way you want, but would be significantly weaker than stock (IMHO).

You could redesin the front diff, so that the carrier would flipped to the opposite side of the housing. So the housing would stay upside down, but the ring gear would be back into its original position. The reason you would have to redesign the housing, is because the pinion gear is not centered. It's offset, and there isn't enough clearance for the ring gear on the other side of the diff. Once you got done, you would have essentially designed the highpinion diff already in existance.

You could contract on a major gear manufacturer to design and cut you a set of one-off reverse rotation gears. "IF" they would even do such a one time thing, the cost would seriously outweigh the cost of a highpinion diff.

Or, you could turn the entire drive line around backwards (including flipping your rear diff as well), putting your engine in the back, having your tranny face backwards, and essentially moving your rear output to the front. You will have 1 forward gear, and several backward gears. This I would like to see, because I think it would be hilarious to see someone doin 60 MPH backwards to and from the trail head. Hell I'd ride in it just for grins. But to do it properly though you would need to figure out someway to flip the gear sets around. This will also either require some interesting driveline work, or else retubing your Axle housings (front out put will now be in the center, and rear will be offset). It's a difficult concept to grasp (for me atleast), and it took several friends explaining it to me with a vehicle set-up like this in front of me, to fully understand it.

Then there's the oiling issue. The highpinion diff is designed with an oil slinger washer that dips into a cup to oil the pinion bearings. This cup is in the casting. This cup doesn't exist on the v6 housings. So I would imagine you would have issues with keepeing all of your bearings happy. You could overfill the diffs, but no guarantees that they would last very long as daily driven diffs, or even bombing around in the desert.

Now all of this would cost insane amounts of money, and a highpinion would be a hell of a lot cheaper. Or (as previously stated), you can run low pinion stuff, and see how long it takes to break. You might be surprised.

jr9162

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 512
  • Member since Sep '04
  • No nookie like Chinookie no butts like Halibuts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 31, 2005, 10:39:18 PM »
nothing

There's a big difference. The FJ80 hi-pinion diff is designed to be properly lubricated in it's normal operating position, and drives on the running side of the gear set, rather than the coast. If it's placed in the rear axle, it is then operating on the weaker coast side of the gear set and is improperly lubricated as well.

The reason one can get by using a rear axle's low pinion diff up front ( ala 79-85 Toyota single axle) is because the low pinion doesn't experience a lube problem - it's simply low enough to be bathed in lube oil. Secondly, although it is running on the weaker coast side of the gear set employed up front - normal (<10% of the time) 4x4 usage doesn't stress it enough to make a whole huge impact on its life.

When a hi pinion diff is placed in the rear axle, it's used 100% of the time and won't give you a normal operating life (usage).
I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
People Eating Tasty Animals
There's no nookie like chinookie
No butts like halibuts
Fish are not our friends, they're food.
Eat more moose - 10,000 wolves can't be wrong

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist".