Author Topic: VisionX vs. Rampage H4 Conversion Housings  (Read 1200 times)

Plainview

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 175
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
VisionX vs. Rampage H4 Conversion Housings
« on: Apr 21, 2015, 10:43:08 PM »
I wanted to convert my '84 truck to more modern H4 halogen housings for better lighting and less hassle with replacing burned out bulbs.  No more removing the grill to replace a friggin' headlight, plus they look cool and with a relay harness should put out a lot more light.

I jumped the gun a little and ordered the Rampage H6054 conversion housings before reading any reviews of them.  Once I read a couple reviews (poor pattern, lots of scatter and artifacts) I re-thought the purchase and did a little more looking around.  I saw that Marlin offers the VisionX housings for right about the same price and since VisionX is a relatively well known brand and Rampage is ...????... I decided to order the VisionX housings and compare them.  I got the Rampages from Summit Racing so no issues with returning them since I haven't installed them yet and just ordered a couple weeks ago.

It'll be a week or two before I can get the VisionX installed and will update this thread once I do.  In the meantime, here is a visual comparison of the two.  All pics of housings side-by-side are VisionX on left, Rampage on right.

Notice the differences in the reflector pattern and the shields in the middle. The Rampages have a hole in the center of the shield, the VisionX don't:

The VisionX reflectors are larger, deeper, and have more curvature.  This also shows the retainer clips and I actually like the Rampage clips a lot better.  The Vision X easily slide out of position and are a pain to get back in place.

The Rampages come with a hole in the housing for a "bling LED" that a lot of the cheaper housings on Amazon.com include.  A lot of those housings come with a little blue LED that would be mounted in this hole and come on with the parking lights to make the headlights glow blue.  Looks like a place for water to get in once the tape over the hole goes bad:

More reflector depth detail.  I bet the Vision X have much better cutoff and focus the light better.

Rubber boots are different. The Rampages are actually easier to reinstall, they're not picky about orientation.  The VisionX have to be pretty precisely placed or they won't go back on right.

Depth and shape of housing differences:

Packaging differences.  The VisionX look like they're designed for retail display.  They are made in Taiwan according to the packaging and show DOT, SAE, etc. approval.  The Rampages came in plain, generic packaging with no identification or info on where they're made (but you can bet it's China.)

Stay tuned.  I'll post more once I get them installed but am awaiting delivery of a conversion harness and have other, bigger fish to fry on this truck before I'm driving it at night.

Oh, I ordered some Osram Nightbreaker bulbs to go in them but they haven't arrived yet.  I'm also contemplating giving the Hella 55/100W bulbs a try... 

« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2015, 01:15:05 AM by Plainview »
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100651.new#new
Parts Wanted:

- Un-cracked dash pad (do they exist?)