Author Topic: what's your favorite locker?  (Read 2706 times)

83 yoter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 118
  • Member since Feb '15
  • improve a little more each day!
    • View Profile
what's your favorite locker?
« on: Mar 05, 2015, 10:01:14 PM »
What's your favorite locker and why? It doesn't have to be a specific one. Curious to see what some of you like to use. Also for those of you using automatic lockers what kind of experiences have you had driving on the highway and in town. Seems like there's several drawbacks to auto lockers on pavement.

MRHilux87

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -306
  • Male Posts: 424
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
Re: what's your favorite locker?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2015, 10:52:08 PM »
Been covered about a thousand times, but I'll take another stab. 
Selectables are awsome but expensive. 
lunchbox lockers work well once you are used to them.  Especially in the front. 
Lincon lockers work epic for what they cost. 

There you go.  If its a daily driver like my runner I love an elocker rear, and a detroit front.  If its a trailer queen then weld the sob. 
1987 4Runner.   3RZ.  SAS Duals 5.29 Elocker Rear Detroit front 35s... Hydro assist
2007 Cummins 6.7 DRW g56.  deleted EFI live.
2013 Ninja 1000
SOLD:
2006 Mitsibishi EVO 9.  347WHP runs 12.2s - Wifes daily driver.  Ducati 916 - track bike.

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2015, 07:27:10 AM »
detroit(auto locker) is my favorite.  I've used had auto, lunchbox, and selectable.  nothing like the reliability and strength of an auto.  current set up in both my rigs is spooled rear, detroit front on one rig and aussie front on the other. 

lunchbox style lockers work great up front.  with that being said, after 8 years of beating my truck, the center pin broke so I had to replace it.  and that's running 40s.

ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2015, 07:47:25 AM »
I have been a big fan of ARB lockers. Ive ran arb front/spool rear for awhile.  If it was a rig i was going to drive on the street a lot. I might spring for an arb for the back too.

1985CRAWLER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 267
  • Male Posts: 1,163
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Backyard Built
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2015, 03:48:27 PM »
X2 on the detroit.

they just flat out work, that being said ive only ran those and lunchbox lockers( lock rights) mostly, have had and arb,welded,spooled but overall since my truck sees alot of street time id always opt for the auto locker.

low n' slow 85 runner SR5 22re,rcvs ,Duals,5.29s,Detroits f&r,40s,RUF,Chevy 63 rears,Armored,Cage

bobbed and beat 91 ex cab,3RZ swapped,dual ultimates, dana 44 sas 5.38/5.29 combo,37s, RUF, 63 rears,ARB front, detroit rear,cage

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96250.msg1073007;topicseen#msg1073007

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26920.390

daniresch

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 930
  • Male Posts: 761
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2015, 04:02:48 PM »
My rigs get driven on the street so my list is:
#1 choice: ARB or elocker
#2 choice: grizzly or Detroit
#3 open diff lol

1988 Blue Std Cab: SAS, Longs, HP/ARB/5.29 Front, ARB/5.29 Rear, Marlin Dual Ultimate w/ 23 Spline MC07XD-R10, Marlin 30 Spline Front & Rear Output Shafts, Dave's Triple shifter, FROR crossmember, Bilstein 12" f+r, RUF w/ 63s, 7in bob, 40x13.5x17 MTR's on Racelines Monster Beadlocks 17x9.5

build: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=80954.510

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2015, 04:52:52 PM »
I like the concept of selectable lockers and would probably insist on running them in a late model rig, but for my 89 SAS  4Runner things like tire wear and handling are not as big an issue as long as safety isn't compromised. I run a Detroit in the rear and Aussie up front. The rear has been on the rocks in Moab for about 7 week long trips where the traction of the slick rock likes to bind everything up. The front has survived about 5 of those trips as it was a later mod.

I have seen numerous failures with selectable lockers so opted for ultimate reliability. The rear locker is ok on the street if you treat them right.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

turbo this..

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Wish list
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2015, 02:35:20 AM »
welded mine and its the only reason i go places imo if your on the cheep and can weld its a good option but prefer to spend more on an arb or such i just didnt have the funds and my truck is a weekend toy that only needs to drive to/from the trails dats it so a little welded/spooled action is no big deal imo its money i can spend on big tyers or a winch or bar work what ever for me its grate i think ive got 2 other cars for dureing the week

by the way ive never had anything except an open and a welded and for me the welded is like light and day in terms of traction in mud and in rocks where you pick up a wheel it just pushes over the hump a lot on my wheelin is in 2x4 now vs 4x4 with open so seem a good inprovment for the 3 hours to pull, clean, tig weld, assembl it so almost free and its let me 2x4 most of the places i had to 4x4 so i get stuck a lot less and im not revving the ass aout of the truck to make it climb

tallboy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2015, 12:03:36 PM »
I love my Aussie locker (automatic) which I put in the rear axle....much cheaper than a selectable and only rarely do I get any chirping out of my tires. The install was pretty easy  and it has always performed well offroad.....definitely doing a selectable in front though

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 30, 2015, 08:02:12 AM »
We have ran detroits, lock-rites, aussies and welded all in front and rear applications over the years.  After much messing around and driving a ton of road miles, winter and summer our favorite setup is a welded rear and an aussie up front. 

Welded rear handling is way more predictable than an auto locker and the aussie is the smoothest of the bunch in the front end. 

Yes you can hang the rear end out on road ice with the welded rear if you try but when you let off it snaps right back.  Quite controllable if you understand how to drive it.

For me, selectables are just too much coin.  I too have wheeled with guys with ARBs and even the OX locker.  I've seen both become permenently unlocked half way into a trail ride.  I know a bunch of guys do great with them but in my experience if it can fail/come un-locked it will, and at the worst possible time.  I choose simplicity!   :beer:
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2015, 08:08:45 AM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2015, 09:49:48 AM »
I have a Detroit in the rear and a Grizzly up front. I broke a lunch box in the front. I don't drive much on the street so there haven't been any issues for me.
Time to go wheelin!