Author Topic: Weber mods  (Read 2835 times)

Speed

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Male Posts: 127
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Weber mods
« on: Jul 17, 2014, 05:57:16 PM »
  :-\  I have a Weber 32-26,it's a DGAV;Just wondering-is it possible to convert it from a mechanical secondary throat to a vacuum secondary? What I'm hearing is that the mechanical secondary improves the power,but doesn't help the mileage,and the vacuum secondary doesn't increase the power as much but will help the mileage. I should note that there's at least one piece of linkage that isn't correct for this carb (home-made),so I'm not sure I could make it work properly as it is. As it stands,I think it'd cost more to rebuild it,replace the missing linkage,change the secondary throat over (if possible) and buy the necessary parts to install it on my '81 22R (adapter,air filter,rebuild kit,linkage parts,etc.) than to just kit my stock carb and de-smog the truck. (main components are gone,vacuum lines and switches and some electrics remain;not sure what can go.)
    It's also mentioned in the article on making a Weber climb that the same float bowl vent re-routing could probably be done on the stock carb;have you seen a stock one re-done like this? :dunno: I don't want to start taking stuff apart until I have the parts and information to get it done and re-installed,since I need to be able to move the truck on short notice.
   Speed
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2014, 06:05:55 PM by Speed »
"HMMmmmm--What can I make outta that??"

"Bash On Regardless"

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: Weber mods
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2014, 06:46:55 AM »
One of my buddies asked me to help him get a new 32/36 going on his Celica demo derby car.  It took like 2 minutes to have it purring like a kitten.  That and the two vac lines he was running made me really condsider a Weber for my carb 22r build.  Another buddy had been running a 32/36 on his 22r and it wouldn't cold start worth a hoot, didn't run on any kind of angles at all and got like 12 mpg.  Obvoisly he had some issues there... He just recently swaped in a desmoged stock 22r carb and reportedly has way more power and the truck now runs practically on it's side.

I have ran a poorly tuned, clapped out 22r carb off road with great success and I DD a stock 20r and that carb, while always sounding kind of crummy at idle, still cold starts at -30F and runs at all kinds of angles without fail.  I get up to 21 mpg highway with way to big of tire and still manage 16-17 mpg driving around town or off road.

Long story short, I think Webers are a good choice if you have them dialed in, but I am going to run the stock carb, completely desmoged with just the HAC (altitude adjuster) and the cold start thing in place. We get -30F in the winter and my driving altitude ranges from sea level to 11,000sf so I think the stock carb is the best choice for me with all the built in features.

I do plan to extend the float bown vent to a charcoal canister, lower the float a bit and run a fuel preasure regulator.  All the tricks are out there just search something like "22r carb desmog tutorial" and you will bump into all kinds of tech.

There is a ton of good Weber tech on this site if you go that route, I know they can be really great carbs.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Speed [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2014, 02:08:35 PM »
I'm pretty much inclined to just run the stock carb a while and see how it does. I checked out the de-smog deal,and it looks like too much fuel pressure and float level is the big issues on both stock and Webers. One thing I DO know is that this stock carb has NO accelerator pump function,so I'll probably kit it for that reason,if no other.
   My brother likes the Weber so much he believes it's the best thing for ANY engine-in multiples for the bigger engines. (3 Webers for my 302 GMC inliner?)
   I'll probably do as you are and just clean up the stock set up. BTW-my timing set and water pump should be here Tuesday. Once that's done,its just a matter of waiting for the Title to get here.  :clap:
   Speed

"Bash On Regardless"

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2014, 03:06:36 PM »
Im a firm believer in stock toy carbs. I played the webber game on my first two toyota's years ago and found nothing but disappointment. A properly tuned toyota carb is an amazing thing. If you wheel on any kind off inclines a webber isnt even an option, even modded. This has been my experience anyway. I will do anything I can to stop someone from putting one of those nasty things on a toy engine.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

1985CRAWLER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 267
  • Male Posts: 1,163
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Backyard Built
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2014, 01:12:54 PM »
Im a firm believer in stock toy carbs. I played the webber game on my first two toyota's years ago and found nothing but disappointment. A properly tuned toyota carb is an amazing thing. If you wheel on any kind off inclines a webber isnt even an option, even modded. This has been my experience anyway. I will do anything I can to stop someone from putting one of those nasty things on a toy engine.

low n' slow 85 runner SR5 22re,rcvs ,Duals,5.29s,Detroits f&r,40s,RUF,Chevy 63 rears,Armored,Cage

bobbed and beat 91 ex cab,3RZ swapped,dual ultimates, dana 44 sas 5.38/5.29 combo,37s, RUF, 63 rears,ARB front, detroit rear,cage

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96250.msg1073007;topicseen#msg1073007

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26920.390

Speed [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2014, 05:53:24 PM »
 :yesnod: I guess that makes it unanimous-STOCK carb,slightly improved. :thumbs: Does anybody sell an accelerator pump for the stock carb,without having to buy a whole kit? I think the timing set and an accelerator pump (and changing to a manual choke) will be enough to make this an easy starting good runner. One more question though-I put a NEW fuel pump on this engine-is a fuel pressure regulator worth doing,or is it pretty much un-needed?
   Speed

"Bash On Regardless"