Author Topic: Wide Toyota axles!  (Read 4552 times)

GaJoker

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Apr '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Wide Toyota axles!
« on: Mar 03, 2014, 06:56:57 AM »
OK I'm the market to upgrade my the straight axles in my 1987 $runner with SAS.  Who would ya'll say makes the best "widened" solid axle kits / housings for this purpose.  I have a D60 and Corp 14 bolt sitting in my basement and ready to install but I want to stay Yota.
1987 4Runner--SAS, 37" Nitto TrailGrapplers, AllPro EBrake, Marlin 1600 Clutch, 22re LC Engineering goodies, 5.29s ARB'ed front and rear w/ hi-pinion front (thanks Marlin).

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
Re: Wide Toyota axles!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2014, 07:39:20 AM »
Hands down its Diamond axle. Second would be Ruff Stuff but that housing is more like a 3rd member receptacle than an actual housing. All they supply is something to bolt the 3rd member to you still need to "PRESS" in the knuckle balls and somehow align them properly.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,730
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2014, 09:06:13 AM »
If you want to really stay yota go with an FJ-62 front axle with longfieldsuperaxles and you can fill it with a FZJ-80 e-locker 9.5" diff.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2014, 02:59:40 PM »
Hands down its Diamond axle. Second would be Ruff Stuff but that housing is more like a 3rd member receptacle than an actual housing. All they supply is something to bolt the 3rd member to you still need to "PRESS" in the knuckle balls and somehow align them properly.

Got news for you: RuffStuff will build your axle just like Diamond does, well the housing atleast (that includes knuckle balls welded on).

If you want a factory spec wide axle regardless of the housing.... a FJ60 uses mini truck outers (knuckles, spindles, etc) with a 58" mounting width, and the FJ80 has larger diameter birfields with a 63" mounting width.

I am running an fj80 front end with aftermarket Hellfire Fab knuckles/ Hysteer under my 85 4runner. I love the stability from the extra width.
My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 185
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Chief Mischief Officer at High Octane Spirits LLC
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2014, 03:27:47 PM »
I plan on using the fj-60 route with some width added. mine will be +2-5/8" on both sides but i am adding spacers between the knuckle balls and the housing and doing it all myself. a lot cheaper just more work.

I do have to say the 9.5 LC diffs are a lot more beef than the 8" minitruck stuff though so that is a big plus.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2014, 05:38:11 PM »
Got news for you: RuffStuff will build your axle just like Diamond does, well the housing atleast (that includes knuckle balls welded on).

I stand corrected. I did not know that.  :beer:
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

fj-rankenstein

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Jan '05
  • my yard looks like toyota circa 1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2014, 09:50:25 PM »
i ended up going with a front diamond twice being that the price was rather vague when trying to deal with roughstuff on a front diff..  not that i am really interested in buying a roughstuff housing but does anyone actually have a proper price for what roughstuff actually charges for a complete diff with welded knuckles??   they wanted me to send knuckles from my own housing in to save on costs but the cost to ship two knuckles to california was outrageous plus dan at the time couldnt promise me that he could acurately make a diff housing at 62.5 wms.  he was really pushing for me to put my own knuckles on and figure out and cut the tube after i got it to get my propr wms and then somehow align the knuckles straight .  plus i would have had to figure out what length custom inners i would need but they could also do all this for an additional charge..  this was last year.. hopefully they are better..    i am sure the roughstuff diff is probably nice but the whole process of dealing with them was a big turn-off..  i will stick with just buying their tabs and brackets..    the nice thing about dealing with diamond is that everything is up front and you know what the price is.. Brian is a real toyota guy and everything that i have seen and bought from him has been a work of art..  the only bad thing is that Brian does most of this stuff on his own and lead times can be long..  its worth the wait though..
the never ending build...
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=12165.0;highlight=extend-a-toy

Was searching for something and came across this old jew. BUMP to a classic thread :thumbs:

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2014, 11:50:35 PM »
i ended up going with a front diamond twice being that the price was rather vague when trying to deal with roughstuff on a front diff..  not that i am really interested in buying a roughstuff housing but does anyone actually have a proper price for what roughstuff actually charges for a complete diff with welded knuckles??   they wanted me to send knuckles from my own housing in to save on costs but the cost to ship two knuckles to california was outrageous plus dan at the time couldnt promise me that he could acurately make a diff housing at 62.5 wms.  he was really pushing for me to put my own knuckles on and figure out and cut the tube after i got it to get my propr wms and then somehow align the knuckles straight .  plus i would have had to figure out what length custom inners i would need but they could also do all this for an additional charge..  this was last year.. hopefully they are better..    i am sure the roughstuff diff is probably nice but the whole process of dealing with them was a big turn-off..  i will stick with just buying their tabs and brackets..    the nice thing about dealing with diamond is that everything is up front and you know what the price is.. Brian is a real toyota guy and everything that i have seen and bought from him has been a work of art..  the only bad thing is that Brian does most of this stuff on his own and lead times can be long..  its worth the wait though..

While I was not the direct purchaser I can attest that RuffStuff's growing pains with the axle line expansion have subsided. Dan has also built up a supply of used toyota knuckle balls to assist in completing axles. That being the case Diamond has years of experience building axles.
My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"