Author Topic: 3RZ swap into 1993 extra cab, RHD in Australia.  (Read 2673 times)

speedstar751

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 21
  • Member since Jul '11
    • View Profile
3RZ swap into 1993 extra cab, RHD in Australia.
« on: Jul 19, 2011, 06:53:02 PM »
Hey guys just joined the site researching for my truck build. I bought a 1993 Hilux extra cab model number here is RN110 with a carby 22R. At this stage motors out, engine bays stripped, interiors stripped, tub, doors, guards bonnet etc are all off trucks been sand blasted and Epoxy primed ready for some rust repairs to be done.

I'm looking to buy a wrecked 2004 2WD dual cab with the 3RZ and 5 speed box and fit most of whats in the engine bay as it sits in the 2004 model into my 1993 model so it looks factory as possible, including radiator and A/C as mine needs replacing anyway.

From what I've read my truck comes with a G58 gear box and the bell housing from the 2wd 3RZ to the W5? box should bolt up is that right?

I know I need to make engine mounts etc and fit all the wiring I'm not here to ask the the questions I can find the answers to myself on the forum.

One thing I do need help with is most of the conversions I've seen are on older trucks with solid axle front ends but can't find much information on fitting the 3RZ into a truck with IFS, is it harder than the solid axle set up?

I want to keep the IFS and don't plan on doing a body lift at the moment just wondering what the issues are is it just the sump hitting the diff centre, is there a factory sump that will fit or do I have to make a custom one?

thanks for your help.

Russell_G

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
I have seen a few guys do a custom pan cutting up a 22r pan tha clears and making it fit the 3rz. You will have to kill both pans to make one but thats option 1

#2 is a bracket lift and minor pan modding. The bracket lift will move the diff down a few inches giving you more room but maybe not all that you need.

I searched around on google a while back using terms like 3rz swap to IFS 4runner... 3rz swap with IFS i saw a thread on pirate i think it was and one on yota tech.
87 longbed bobbed 12inches, locked,geared,Tacoma dash, 3rz swap Its a never ending project.
My build
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=58589.0

speedstar751 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '11
    • View Profile
Thanks Russell, until you mentioned it I had no idea what a bracket lift was but since then I've done alot more searching forums, googling etc.

I'm hoping to have the wrecked donor vehicle in next couple of days so I'll wait and take some measurements and find out how much extra room I actually need to make.

options I've found so far are-

A-Diff drop kit (think this is different to a bracket lift??)
B-Bracket lift kit I found some that are 4 inch but too expensive.
C-Body lift
D-modify power steering pump bracket for bit more room I think thats the highest point.
E-Do the pan chop and change with the 22R

I plan on talking to a mate in spare parts at a toyota dealership also to see what factory sump options there were for the 3RZ I'm hoping that a 4x4 3RZ powered truck may have a different pan to the 2WD but I figure someone would have picked up on that by now instead of chopping and changing 22R sumps.

I want to post some links up to products I've found and pictures of project but have to wait until I've reached 11 posts apparently.

thanks for your help.

speedstar751 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '11
    • View Profile
Just a quick update the motors in, the sump that came with my 3RZ is the same depth as the 22R one so only needed a small section modified to fit in with no other modifications required.