Author Topic: Anyone seen this before?  (Read 968 times)

redrocket93

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 690
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Anyone seen this before?
« on: May 25, 2011, 03:57:04 PM »
Not sure if this is in the right section.

I found what look like some casting flaws in the main bearing pocket of my dual adapter causing oil to seep out of the side of the adapter. This is a really old MC adapter with a #820 serial number. I brake cleaned the gear oil out of the porosity really well and smeared some Toyota FIPG in there and JB welded the outside of the adapter where it was seeping out for added insurance against leaks.

Everything else looked fine wear-wise on all bearings, input splines, gears, couplers and output splines.

Anyone else ever seen this before? It's all back togther now and has been driven over a 150 miles with no sign of gear oil seepage anymore.

I’m not knocking Marlins products in anyway, this thing is probably 15 plus years old and is still alive and kicking very well. I’m sure it’ll be fine for years to come. Just curious if I’m the only one that has seen this.

This adapter came in a donor parts rig that I bought in 09’ and I’ve been rockin it since then. The seepage finally bothered me enough to investigate.

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
Re: Anyone seen this before?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 04:02:50 PM »
those are air chambers that help keep the bearing running cool.   :disturbed:. just kidding.  post this up under product and tech support.  you should get an answer back pretty quick.  can you take a pic of the back side of this?  does the porosity go all the way through?
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

redrocket93 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 690
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone seen this before?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 04:10:33 PM »
those are air chambers that help keep the bearing running cool.   :disturbed:. just kidding.  post this up under product and tech support.  you should get an answer back pretty quick.  can you take a pic of the back side of this?  does the porosity go all the way through?

Haha, yep. The outside of the adapter looks fine, the oil was just weeping through it. I don't have any pictures of it before I coated with JB weld. I'll post this in product and tech support. Thanks for the advise. I was just curious if anyone else has had this issue and how they fixed it.