Author Topic: Help Save Johnson Valley - Huge contest  (Read 2840 times)

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Help Save Johnson Valley - Huge contest
« on: May 06, 2011, 11:42:49 AM »
There is a huge, multi-vendor giveaway going on at Pirate4x4 right now. Open to all registered members (red, yellow, non-star). The contest is being put on to encourage people to write letters to the USMC about moving their expansion plans EAST instead of WEST into Johnson Valley. If they proceed, it will effectively close all of JV to non-military use. This has the potential to be a HUGE blow to our sport, especially with King of the Hammers emerging as a world famous race up in the ranks with Dakar and the Baja series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4G2YN4m_1c

The guys and gals over at Pirate couldn't have made it any easier for us to send letters about Land Use issues. Hopefully you are all already familiar with the Pirate Letter generator, but if you are not here is a quick run down on the contest, and how to get your voice heard.

Like I said, the contest is open to all registered PBB members. The more letters you write, the more chances you have at winning. Enter your user name in the field provided and you are entered in the contest. If you want friends and family to write letters, have them put your user name in and its more chances for you. Its a win-win (or bi-winning if you are Charlie Sheen) situation. Enter a contest, and do your part to fight for land use issues that ultimately affects every single one of us.

There are dozens of topics to write about, and each generates a prewritten letter. Or write your own. The more letters the better. This kind of thing should be mandatory for any 4 wheeling enthusiast, but here is a chance for you to step it up and write some letters that in the past, you may have forgotten to get around to.

The official contest post:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=977850

Lets rally our collective voice and let our opinion be known.  :biggthumpup:  :beerchug:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Re: Help Save Johnson Valley - Huge contest
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 12:12:46 PM »
I'm hoping the lack of replies is because you have all been so busy writing letters....... :biggthumpup:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 07:03:44 PM »
This post has 68 views. Does that mean 68 people have written letters?

If this was the Rubicon, Moab, Dusy Ershim, would there be only 68 views?

All I ask is you write ONE PERSONAL LETTER. Explain why losing public land and the few OHV areas left in this country is bad for you, your family and the economy.

It takes FIVE MINUTES OR LESS.

If we can't collectively rally behind any single cause like this, we are doomed to lose all public land faster than it takes to write a single letter.

Dusy Ershim getting a sponership from BFG is worthless if the trail is gated and padlocked and you are banned from ever using it again.

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 07:06:01 PM »
Was just about to bump this.

This is important, Don't let Johnson Valley be taken away  :rivers:

Do your part, it's not that hard.

Help keep Johnson Valley open!!!

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 07:13:26 PM »
Was just about to bump this.

This is important, Don't let Johnson Valley be taken away  :rivers:

Do your part, it's not that hard.

Help keep Johnson Valley open!!!

Thank you Peterbuilt84! :beerchug:

This is extremely important. If we want to keep our sport alive, it is going to take every single one of us to express ourselves and do our part. I have written letters about OHV parks across the country that it is entirely possible I may never visit. Doesn't matter if you will never go to Johnson Valley.

Every acre of OHV accessible land we lose is another nail in the coffin of the Offroad Industry.

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 08:42:29 PM »
Thank you for starting the thread  :biggthumpup:

I personally have never been to JV, but the loss of it would be tremendous to the off road industry. Just think, no more KOH and thousands of wheelers in Southern California would lose out on a great place to wheel.

I think there were something like 3,000 letters submitted in 4 hours last I checked. It's not that hard.

So please send in those letters!

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 02:01:57 PM »
They are up to over 10,000 now. Goal is 20,000. We have until the 26th of this month. Get writing! Its not hard. Just a few sentences is all you need.

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 04:49:56 PM »
HUGE find from Amy at Cal4!

Please distribute this to all your networks: The Marines goofed!

When preparing the website and public documents for the 29Palms Marine Base proposed expansion, the Marines neglected to give the correct mailing address for public comments on the home page of the website, and it is missing from all the public documents including:

1. The Project Briefing Paper
2. The Project Overview
3. The Public Info Brief
4. The Trifold Brochure
5. The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
6. The Contact
7. The Public Comment Link on the home page

Instead, the contact info is given only for the project office on the 29Palms Marine Base. The Project Manager, Mr. Chris Proudfoot, has been made aware of this problem, and has not responded to requests for an extension, and an investigation to find out how many public comments have been sent to the wrong address, what has been done with those comments, and what can be done to rectify a mistake that has existed since the release of the Draft Environmental Impact Statement.

NEPA requires and encourages public comment, and the Marines have not given the public the information needed to send in their comments. EVERYONE - send a message to the Marines politely requesting a 60 day extension of the comment period during which time they are to conduct an investigation and good faith effort to find out how many comments were submitted to the wrong address. This is a major NEPA violation, and they must rectify this mistake.

Please contact immediately: Chris Proudfoot, Project Manager, at (760) 830-3764 and leave a message asking for a 60 day extension, or email:SMBPLMSWEBPAO@usmc.mil or do both!

Please act now!

Thanks,
Amy

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 05:21:31 PM »
Bump again!!

Today is the last day to put in your letters. There are already over 18,000 and every letter helps.

Let's get to 20,000!!!

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 05:33:56 PM »
For sure, does not need to be anything long and extravagent. Just a few sentences. There are plenty of ideas on the linked pirate post.

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 08:55:46 PM »
We just broke 20,000 letter mark. Keep them coming there are still a few more hours.

Thank you to everyone that sent letters in. Any effort to save public land anywhere in the country is worth trying. Next it could be the Rubicon, or Moab.
 :beerchug:

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 06:13:56 PM »
Just wanted to update everyone and let you all know we had a total of 20,847 letters written by our deadline. Thank you everyone that sent in a letter!

Here are pictures of what 20,000 + letters look like on paper from Littlbdy who is personally printing and delivering them all to southern California.

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 11:43:53 PM »