Author Topic: Rattling dust shield?  (Read 3779 times)

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
Rattling dust shield?
« on: Apr 13, 2011, 01:10:23 PM »
I've been chasing down a rattling noise in my driveline for over a year...my truck has had plenty of other issues, so I've got: rebuilt engine, L52HD, new clutch, rebuilt t-case, rear driveshaft checked out twice, one u-joint replaced, other I was assured twice was fine, swapped in a newer rear diff.

Still a rattly, spoons banging together noise when I acclerate, decelerate, normal driving, and sometimes a very audible "pop" or more sharp sound when I push in the clutch.

Could a warped dust shield on a flange do this? I'm worried it's something with the clutch, but I did everything right with it, as far as I know...clutch fork has a little up & down movement (very little), but no back & forth.
Zach
I like Yotatech

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
Re: Rattling dust shield?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2011, 01:13:37 PM »
check the heat shield on the bottom of your cab above the exhaust and the one on your manifold see if their loose does it happen more when you hit a bump or just accel and decell?
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2011, 01:18:29 PM »
Catalytic converter breaking up inside.........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2011, 01:26:32 PM »
Sorry, didn't mention I've also grabbed, banged & rattled everything under the truck I can find. Doesn't seem to be exhaust dust shields or the cat or muffler. Could just be that I can't get the cat to move around enough, but I think I've ruled it out.

Also, it doesn't always happen. Sometimes, it rattling and popping enough that sure whatever it is is about to finally break. Other days, or at least other drives, it doesn't make any noise at all...
Zach
I like Yotatech

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2011, 01:54:03 PM »
My 80 makes all kind of weird noises.  It's what they do. :)

Could be a throwout bearing...
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2011, 03:40:05 PM »
I've wondered about this...it slowly started after my last clutch job. Of course I replaced the throwout bearing. But my truck needed pretty much everything replaced, so along with the clutch job was all that other stuff. So this noise slowly started, but of course I just figured it was something else. The last time I did my clutch, because I had marlin work on my tranny again, I didn't change the throwout or pilot bearings. I figured "why not" on the clutch, but doing the throwout bearing meant taking it to a machine shop to press the old one off and new one on, so since I only had about 10,000 or so miles on the old ones...I just left them. I'll take photos, but the "old" clutch has some wear marks on it...I'm no mechanic, I just play one on this truck, so I have no idea what's normal, but they seemed odd. I wonder if somehow my throwout bearing isn't moving around too much or something, or was just faulty from the start.

But the wear marks were on the clutch disk, not the teeth, so that wouldn't make sense, since the noise happens with the clutch pedal out. Anyways, the fact that that's kind of the area the noise is coming from (but it's hard to tell), and the fact that it seems like some slack or something is being taken up and something's suddenly coming to a stop (loud-ish pop! when I push in the clutch sometimes..), I've been thinking it somehow had to do with the clutch, but having been in there twice in the last 3 years on this truck and seeing things put together right, I've been thinking that can't be it....
Zach
I like Yotatech

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2011, 03:51:43 PM »
Slightly press on the clutch when it's making the noise and see if it quits............
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2011, 07:40:12 AM »
Alright, thanks.

About to head south for southern Utah on Saturday...so I'm hoping this is something I can continue to ignore (but stress about) for a bit longer...

Definitely about to put some miles on it.

Thanks everyone. I'll put a little pressure on the clutch next time it does it.

At least I'm getting good a pulling trannys at this point.
Zach
I like Yotatech

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2011, 06:52:30 PM »
FYI:  The throwout bearing is not pressed on... The throwout bearing comes off with a pair of pliers for the wire retaining clip and your hands and the pilot bearing can be pulled with a $10 puller or hydrauliced out with a piece of rod and some grease in the cavity.  You don't need a machine shop for this stuff.

Anyway I had a funny noise like that once and it was a dry goofy throwout bearing.
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2011, 07:49:05 PM »
Actually the throwout bearing IS pressed on another part that IS held on to the fork by the spring clips.......
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 14, 2011, 08:01:34 PM »
yes that is true but when you buy a t-out bering they sell you the hold assy not just the bering so it does not need to be pressed at all i dont even use pliers it comes off easily by hand
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #11 on: Apr 14, 2011, 09:27:51 PM »
Really....

Every throwout bearing I've ever replaced on my truck (22re) and cars (20r) has just been the bearing.

Not really that hard to do.............
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 15, 2011, 07:44:17 AM »
Yep, every one I've bought is just the bearing. Have to get it on & off the bearing hub. I have the pilot puller tool. I just got lazy. Not many miles on them...but figured why not do the clutch while the tranny was out. Was pressed for time & got lazy...clutch and tranny I could do without taking anything anywhere. I don't have the tools in my garage to even do a ghetto job at getting the throwout bearing off it's hub. Believe me, I tried. So I save myself frustration and scaring of the neighbors, and just take it to a shop. They usually don't even charge me and do it right then and there. Which, saying that, is making me feel even more lazy & stupid for not just doing it, but...oh well.

This truck definitely regularly teaches me to do the job right the first time...

Hopefully it'll be nice and hold together for a trip to Utah and back...
Zach
I like Yotatech

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 15, 2011, 09:02:26 AM »
Weird I have always got the complete throwout bearing assembly with all the clutches I've used too.  Never had to press anything.  Where do you get your clutch parts?

I have a shop press up here in Highwood (near Great Falls) you can use if you ever need... I think you are in Helena, right?
– Steve McQueen

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 15, 2011, 09:49:26 AM »
thats weird ive never got one with just the bering and to do the pilot bering all you have to do is pack it full of grease behind it and take a punch the same size as the hole and the grease pushes it out or grab a spare input shaft and use that easy as pie never replace a clutch with out replacing thoes 2 berings as well the bering assy wears to the pressure plate change clutch and pressure plate its bound to make noise

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 15, 2011, 12:14:26 PM »
Hey thanks. Yeah Helena, you aren't far...but too far for bearing pressing.  :greengrin:

Huh. I got my first clutch from centerforce, and the last two from...dial a clutch? LUK. None of those came with the bearing hub, just the bearings. Actually I don't remember if the centerforce did or not. That was 10 years ago.

Yeah, I've got a pilot bearing pulling tool. I just did this job a couple years, and 10-15,000 miles ago. Pulled the tranny again due to some issues with it. Wasn't even going to replace the clutch...but the figured I would while it was all apart. Then just decided "hey, I've never had bearings go out, and they still have low miles, so..."Stupid, I know, but what's done is done. I had what I needed and was pressed for time, and so I just put in the new clutch and put the tranny back in. Oh well.

Thanks everyone! I'll check my diff and t-case dust shields first, but it looks like the tranny will be getting pulled again before long.
Zach
I like Yotatech

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 15, 2011, 01:21:44 PM »
My bad throwout bearing experience probably only had like 5,000 miles on it, I guess it was just junk.  That was years ago.  I think it was chinese or something, nowadays I at least try for Japanese clutches.
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 15, 2011, 01:22:39 PM »
Hey we might wheel Pipestone near Butte later this year you want to join us?
– Steve McQueen

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 25, 2011, 07:43:51 AM »
I may, let me know! Is it fairly tame? I'm basically stock other than slightly larger tires, just 30x9.50s. I really don't know the trails around here at all yet.

Pushing in the clutch when I hear the noise...sometimes makes it go away, sometimes doesn't effect it...I'll keep experimenting.

Truck made it from Helena to southern Utah and back, so that's cool. Even found some good roads. Was the first time I've really been able to wheel this truck, so that was really cool.

This could be totally unrelated...but when I got from down south to Salt Lake, the tranny would grind every time I tried to put it in reverse. It would go in, but would grind. Next day it was gone, went into reverse fine. Just the drive from the desert to Salt Lake caused something, then everything went back to normal?? Weird. Anyway, back in Montana now and other than some weirdness from the truck, it drove great.
Zach
I like Yotatech

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 29, 2011, 02:22:36 PM »
I wheeled a bunch of trails there last spring in a basically stock '80 longbed with bald 33s on it, manual steering, some decent sliders and a welded rear.  Probably didn't even need the 33s and welded rear but the sliders were nice.  Power steering would have been good, my arms were tired at the end of the day.  We were down there with a bunch of jeep guys, I drove my '80 and my wife drove my buddy's '85 4Runner.  All the jeeps broke, we drove there and drove home, wheeled everything, no damage no problems.

Anyway there are a wide variety of trails there but the one I want to do is the Spring Creek Loop.  It is a loop and has a cool high lake on it.  We didn't wheel it all the way because of stuck jeeps and snow last May.  I want to wheel it this summer when the snow is off.

We want to go to Wildbill/Blacktail trail late this spring.  It's over by Kalispel.
– Steve McQueen

fade

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 1,018
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 29, 2011, 02:23:38 PM »
if you got a ex cab or long bed check your carrier bearing
96 horunner 3.4 elocker armored
86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 29, 2011, 02:48:48 PM »
Great, let me know. I'm not too into damage since this is my DD (I just drove it from Montana to southern Utah and back), but I love getting it out on trails.

Nope, 83 so no extracab, and it's a shortbed. But I've had my driveshafts checked out.
Zach
I like Yotatech