Author Topic: 22r Noise (lifters, exaust, rod?)  (Read 7599 times)

VincentVanPwn3d

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 28
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
22r Noise (lifters, exaust, rod?)
« on: Jan 02, 2011, 09:48:45 AM »
Happy New Years everyone!  :usa:

I have some noise on my new truck, if anyone has any experience with this noise and wouldn't mind chiming in with some input I would greatly appreciate it. I am slowly troubleshooting it on my own but it is really cold here and I have no garage to work so its going slowly. I plan to check the valves and timing chain first and move on from there, but would like some experienced insight if anyone has it....

Here is an HD video of the noise...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtbgZawUroQ&hd=1

thanks...
86 4runner
22re

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
Re: 22r Noise (lifters, exaust, rod?)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2011, 09:54:27 AM »
I plan to check the valves and timing chain first and move on from there

It sounds like a good place to start.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:07:16 AM »
timing chain is eating into the timing chain cover.

you're going to need to drop the oil pan (only an inch or so) pull the valve cover, remove the distributor, remove the  8m bolt (12mm head) thats in the puddle of oil under the distributor drive gear, then remove all the timing cover bolts.   you do NOT have to remove the oil pump but sometimes it makes it easier to remove the cover.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

VincentVanPwn3d [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:13:29 AM »
timing chain is eating into the timing chain cover.

you're going to need to drop the oil pan (only an inch or so) pull the valve cover, remove the distributor, remove the  8m bolt (12mm head) thats in the puddle of oil under the distributor drive gear, then remove all the timing cover bolts.   you do NOT have to remove the oil pump but sometimes it makes it easier to remove the cover.

Thanks 79coyotefrg...Hopefully I can get this pulled apart today. I'll post updates to the status. Maybe take some pics of the pull apart and post them here for others to look at :)
86 4runner
22re

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:47:19 AM »
sounds good :thumbs:

OH and change the oil, your gonna have fine shavings from the cover in your oil
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:55:11 AM »
http://engnbldr.com/toyota_ala_carte.htm get parts from here or toyota. Pull the pan completely off, and clean it out. Pull oil pump off, because they need to be primed when drained completely. Remove the pickup also when you pull the pan, and clean it out good. Dont want to leave crap in ur pan, or have your pickup clogged, or have a dry oil pump that gonna take a minute to pull oil back to ur top end.

edit. yes you can get away with not pulling pan, or oil pump, but that is NOT the correct way to do it, or how I have ever done someones. Do a job right, and well, is wat I was always told.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

VincentVanPwn3d [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:57:14 AM »
Also, wanted to say that in real life it sounds like a diesel, and the sound is not throughout the rpm range, just when have a certain amount of load, too much or too less and the sound is not there. when starting it rocks for a couple seconds then goes away. Not sure if the diesel sound is noticed in the vid. I didnt capture the start, maybe I can get a capture of that in a minute when I dare to go outside in the cold :)
86 4runner
22re

VincentVanPwn3d [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:59:06 AM »
http://engnbldr.com/toyota_ala_carte.htm get parts from here or toyota. Pull the pan completely off, and clean it out. Pull oil pump off, because they need to be primed when drained completely. Remove the pickup also when you pull the pan, and clean it out good. Dont want to leave crap in ur pan, or have your pickup clogged, or have a dry oil pump that gonna take a minute to pull oil back to ur top end.

edit. yes you can get away with not pulling pan, or oil pump, but that is NOT the correct way to do it, or how I have ever done someones. Do a job right, and well, is wat I was always told.

thanks sparkplug, yeah I have been reading good stuff about engnbldrs, and they are actually located not too far from me, so that could be a great thing...
86 4runner
22re

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2011, 11:04:28 AM »
Also, keep in mind, these motor are not quiet ever. No matter what you do you will have valve noise, chain noise, and I swear i can ALWAYS hear the bottom ends on em. Best way to tell if your chain is needs replaced, take off 4 bolts holdin vc, look down front where chain is, if a guide is missing, replace. If chain is loose, replace, If you can see tensioner spring sitting next to cam gear ( yes Ive done what that was like that) then replace.

VincentVanPwn3d [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2011, 11:08:41 AM »
Yeah I want to pull the valve cover today and check, I just want to make sure I have everything to put it back together. I have 5 quarts of oil and new filter ready to go on. I know its not needed for the job but if I also lower the pan and stuff I have it. I hope I can reuse the valve cover gasket and use some black sealant and be good.
86 4runner
22re

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2011, 11:11:18 AM »
You SHOULD be able to re use vc gasket, but I would replace all others gor gp. You do need new oil, the oil in there is trash if a guide is broke. If you got a lil extra cash, and wanna do a real nice job, get 4 piece front end kit, and a steel timing kit from engnbldr, that way whole front of your engine is new, and dont have to wrry about if for a LONG time.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2011, 11:28:57 AM »
You SHOULD be able to re use vc gasket, but I would replace all others gor gp. You do need new oil, the oil in there is trash if a guide is broke. If you got a lil extra cash, and wanna do a real nice job, get 4 piece front end kit, and a steel timing kit from engnbldr, that way whole front of your engine is new, and dont have to wrry about if for a LONG time.
very good point sparkplug.  i forgot to point that out, those broken guides went somewhere and the where is in your oil pan and possibly clogging the pickup tube in the future.

so pull the pan all the way off and clean it out.  look inside the pickup tube,  OH  I ALWAYS use STP oil treatment to prime oil pumps, second nature for me i guess thats why I often forget to tell people that.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2011, 11:31:30 AM »
Yeah I want to pull the valve cover today and check, I just want to make sure I have everything to put it back together. I have 5 quarts of oil and new filter ready to go on. I know its not needed for the job but if I also lower the pan and stuff I have it. I hope I can reuse the valve cover gasket and use some black sealant and be good.
if the valve cover gasket is still fairly soft (its a rubber type substance) you can reuse it without rtv.  if it is hard it needs to be replaced.

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2011, 11:39:51 AM »
yeh, always good idea to pull pan, and clean all that crap. Ive pulled like 2 I can remeber that had BOLTS in the bottom. I havent ever pulled a 22r or re pan, and there not been some amount of crap in the bottom. You have a solid axle truck, easy peezy to pull the pan, no good reason not too. And if you are anything like me, piece of mind is well worth money and work.

EDIT. O yeah, in my years with a toyota, I feel the best way to quiet the einge down, is to run a good exhaust, with a stock manifold, with a good muffler, amke sure evrything is tight, 1 piece if you can get it. All the noise seems to resonate thru exhaust, i can take a vid of my blue 88 with 1 piece exhaust, and my 85 with multiple exhaust, and you can totally tell difference. The 88 with 1 piece sounds like a newer car, can really only hear injetors if you dunno wat to listen for. The 85 on the other hand, sounds like a normal 22r, valve noise out the ass. Just a thought for ya.