Author Topic: Old Zuki project?  (Read 1938 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Old Zuki project?
« on: Dec 28, 2004, 08:59:25 PM »
   Years ago I discovered a 72 suzuki jimney back in the stix when I was hunting.  I contacted the guy and he said he didn't wanna sell, then I saw it up for sale about a year later, but had already spent my money.  Last year I found another one, same faded yellow, just sitting in someone's yard, and it was still in the same spot this year.  These are a really neat little(and I mean little) truck.

I've thought about all kinds of different possibilities for replacement engines as the stock 2 cylinder 2 strokes were supposed to be big dogs, but nothing solid has come to mind.  There are the obvious space limitations, probably even tighter engine bay than the current ones, so a hybrid is out of the question, but that doesn't mean a toy engine isn't gonna work.  My brother used to have an 85 toy corolla gts, which came with basically the mr2 twin cam engine, and I always wanted to stuff one of those into a Sammy.  I'm assuming the older ones used divorced transfer cases too, which would make tranny choices easier.  A 3tc would fit about the same and offer better low end, and could be rodded pretty easily too, but I think as light as it is the 4ag would have enough low end too. 

Anybody have any idears on these?  I'm just curious if anybody else has seen these and had similar thoughts.  I don't even know if they would sell it, or the rolled toy sittin next to it, but it could make for a really fun little truck, and would definately be something different.    Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
Re: Old Zuki project?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2004, 09:05:25 PM »
how about a subaru flat 4?  they're everywhere and cheaper than dirt.  if you ever look under the hood of a subaru, the engine itself is only about 12" long...half the tranny is in the engine compartment!

not to mention that a lot of the 4wd models had a high and low range

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2004, 09:15:28 PM »
Maybe if it were a WRX engine, that'd be wicked!  I'd like to stick with a toyota engine and tranny, but it all boils down to availability, fitment and cost.  Plus I don't have any idea how stout the stock running gear is, so that's an issue also I guess,   Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2005, 12:00:15 PM »
So I mighta found a good engine for this.  My brother's gonna look at buying a strange little VW station wagon for the wife, and it comes with a spare euro spec vw diesel.  It's all mechanical so he says it could theoretically run on only two wires, which would help to keep the project simple.  It only makes it more tempting to go try and buy the little zuki, hafta clear out some other projects first though,   Nate
RIP KYOTA