Author Topic: First Gen getting hot  (Read 1746 times)

the228

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
First Gen getting hot
« on: Aug 17, 2010, 10:23:42 AM »
hey i have a 79 first gen. with every day city driving it stays as cool as the other side of the pillow but as soon as i hop on the high way after about 30 mins the temp starts to climb i never let it get hot i always pull over but id like to go on a snowboarding trip without pulling over and freezing my  :moon: off
1985 4runner 22re 33s
1996 Tacoma

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: First Gen getting hot
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2010, 10:47:58 AM »
My observations on my 83 gradually running hotter and hotter not to the point of having to pull over but any freeway run with hills or slight grades it heats up.  My clutch fan is shot, totally weak, I bought the tube of oil from Toyota, $11.00 (replacement autozone type clutch fans suck) and carefully opened it up and let it drain over night.  The parts guy said to be sure I don't over or under fill, great advice guy as I don't know how much has leaked out over the past 20 years. I got close to the amount in the tube out so I cleaned it up re filled and re assembled and it pulls hard now, when it engages you hear it and the motor almost stalls.  Must have been the death blow to my water pump because it started to rattle, got a new one from Toyota ($61.00) with the updated impeller and my truck never gets past the "E" on the temp gauge.  Took a 200 mile trip to get a axle last week, pedal to the floor the whole way with some loooong grades, A/C going and still not past the "E".  Defiantly look at everything in the cooling system but start simple like the thermostat and is the belt tight and in good shape? 

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2010, 12:32:06 PM »
its not his fan since it doesnt run hot around town.   sounds like the radiator is partially stopped up or its just too small
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2010, 03:11:46 PM »
I had the same deal ran cool around town but as soon as I asked anything more it would start getting hot.  My fan still worked but was weak or worn out.  Basically when my mechanic( he told me about the silicon oil replacement) showed me how much resistance to spinning it should have and what mine had it was obvious something wasn't right.  My radiator is only a year old and at the time my pump was good so repairing my fan solved it.  It's overlooked or just replaced with white box junk but the clutch fan is usually the culprit in a situation like this.  Combined with 33's and presumed stock gearing his fan and water pump are probably adequate around town but when asked to perform the hard working 22R heats up.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2010, 05:14:31 PM »
i can offer this for ya,  when pulling a long hill my engine will raise temperature if i stay in 5th instead of 4th.  less load more RPM so the coolant moves thru the engine faster
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

the228 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2010, 11:49:02 PM »
 :biggthumpup: thanks guys tomorrow ill flush my radiator and see if its muddy if it is ill replace it. and what clutch fan do you suggest i get. Not the one from Vato Zone. Yes i have stock gearing and its a 4 speed. I plan to swap a 5spd as soon as the clutch goes out. like a said around town it gives me no trouble
1985 4runner 22re 33s
1996 Tacoma

90 Runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 13
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
    • CT4WD
« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2010, 04:43:21 AM »
If you are looking to replace the Fan i would change over to a electric fan. Less load on the engine and when you are out on the trails it will run faster then the clutch fan at idle preventing overheating.

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 18, 2010, 06:49:23 AM »
I'd shy away from anything but Genuine Toyota.  There is probably nothing wrong with your fan clutch other than, like mine over the past two decades the oil has leaked out and broken down so while still working it is ineffective.  I got a 18ml tube from Toyota for $11.00 part # 08816-03001 and a new O ring from a local auto parts guy.  My fan works like it should now, other than the PITA to take it off and back on it was a cheap repair.  In all honesty flushing the radiator would be easier, like I said start simple/obvious but your symptoms are very similar to mine.

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 18, 2010, 10:31:20 AM »
I'd shy away from anything but Genuine Toyota.  There is probably nothing wrong with your fan clutch other than, like mine over the past two decades the oil has leaked out and broken down so while still working it is ineffective.  I got a 18ml tube from Toyota for $11.00 part # 08816-03001 and a new O ring from a local auto parts guy.  My fan works like it should now, other than the PITA to take it off and back on it was a cheap repair.  In all honesty flushing the radiator would be easier, like I said start simple/obvious but your symptoms are very similar to mine.

Amen
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org