Author Topic: best tires for dd and wheeler  (Read 8275 times)

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
Re: best tires for dd and wheeler
« Reply #30 on: Nov 04, 2009, 08:02:18 PM »
i'll give my opinion.

toyo mt is a very nice aggressive but quite and long lasting tire. and from what i hear do well on the rocks. but it is probable one of the most heavy tires.

KM2's never ran them or really seen them perform, but they look sick and seem to do well all around. pretty expensive

iroks i daily drove my 4runner every day and to and from the trail for a year and had at least 75% life(37's by the way). they get a bad rep for a street tire but are pretty quiet and didn't wear that bad for me.

I've been running 35" pro comp A/T's and I love em. They had a "buy 3 get 1 free" sale and took em up on it. Whether I paid too much for them still, I don't quite know.  All I know is that I likem a LOT!

you still paid more than a set of 4 from most other tire companies. i will never run a pro comp tire, even if i got them for free. i have seen them grenade after under a 1,000 mile regularly. i would never run any pro crap product for that matter.

ya i was thinking about a set of tsls but i went to my 4 wheel parts and one of the guys there had 40in irocs on his jeep with 30,000 miles and still pretty decent tread so i think i might get a set of those.

are you talking about Pete? tall bald white guy
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Nov 04, 2009, 10:17:12 PM »
i'll give my opinion.

toyo mt is a very nice aggressive but quite and long lasting tire. and from what i hear do well on the rocks. but it is probable one of the most heavy tires.

KM2's never ran them or really seen them perform, but they look sick and seem to do well all around. pretty expensive

iroks i daily drove my 4runner every day and to and from the trail for a year and had at least 75% life(37's by the way). they get a bad rep for a street tire but are pretty quiet and didn't wear that bad for me.

you still paid more than a set of 4 from most other tire companies. i will never run a pro comp tire, even if i got them for free. i have seen them grenade after under a 1,000 mile regularly. i would never run any pro crap product for that matter.

are you talking about Pete? tall bald white guy

Well...... Got over 2k on them now and running just fine, just rotated them tonight too. I paid $600.00 with 50k mileage warranty, lifetime replacement or repair, free rotate and balance, also gottem installed same day. But hey thanks for your HONEST OPINION :ladys-man:
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

tom415 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Nov 05, 2009, 12:47:25 PM »
umm i dont remember his name but he was a kinda tall black guy
84 xtra cab 37in mtr allied beadlocks 5.29s marlin front bumper longfields aussie lockers front/rear bed bobbed 16in hydraulic assist ifs brakes interior cage
83 toy 37in pitbulls on beadlocks 4.56s built toy axles flatbellied dual cases built 22re cam interior/partial exo

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Nov 05, 2009, 08:38:05 PM »

That's just about any toyo tire  :ack:  Heavy bastards with stiff sidewalls.

Pulled a set of vanity wheels off a newer 4runner today, then mounted up a set of kevlar mtr on the stock wheels.  Looked soooooo much better!  Just wish we'd get more feedback from customers, but that'll come the more I get a chance to talk to them, especially when I work my way up front  :wink2:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Russell_G

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Nov 06, 2009, 02:02:05 AM »
I have 36/12.5/15 TSL's on my truck. I do about 30k a year and if everything on the truck is in working order they dont wear bad. I have about 85% and 90% on them with a broken idler arm on and off the year before the truck was torn down. Mine are bias and flatspot over night it seems and take a block to round out but other then the noise i love them on and off road. This is my 2nd set and the next set i buy will just be a bit bigger.

30k+/- and wheeling 2+ times a week.

Friend of mine is replacing his km2's after a little less then 30k and is not all that happy with them for wear.
87 longbed bobbed 12inches, locked,geared,Tacoma dash, 3rz swap Its a never ending project.
My build
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=58589.0

Farace1979

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 28
  • Member since Sep '09
  • Wanna Mud
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Nov 20, 2009, 07:20:34 PM »
Well I've ran the old goodyear MT and BFG MT and some others but I'm running some firestone mts and I'll say I like them more than the others...MY 2cents
1979 Toyota long bed,stock for now build working on build now and I paid ..$125.00 for it!!!

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Nov 23, 2009, 08:18:20 PM »
Just purchased a new set of Mastercraft Courser mtr's at lees tire in Reedley 1064.00 not bad and not near as far as Bootjack tire near Mariposa where I got my last set almost two years ago.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Nov 24, 2009, 12:08:33 AM »
What size? 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Nov 26, 2009, 07:39:04 PM »
Kneeownate the size I bought were 315/75r/16

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Nov 26, 2009, 11:57:37 PM »
Ok, that's never a cheap size so I won't give you crap  ;)  I just hate seeing so many people paying way too much for tires, there's always room to haggle!  If a shop isn't willing to budge on their prices people need to learn to say goodbye instead of ok.
RIP KYOTA

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Nov 27, 2009, 10:37:37 PM »
so what did you go with
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

bigndn

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Dec 01, 2009, 08:41:25 AM »
IMO-
MTR's are great on the road but they are on the soft side of a DD tire.

BFG KM's are a little harder, and BFG AT's are harder than KM's. T

The AT's are ok off road, but wear really good on the street and have the added bonus of being the best snow rated tire out there (great winter street tire).

Agreed.  I run KM2s on my mini, MT/Rs on my FJ40, and have had BFG ATs in the past.  I really like all of them. 

raceyz23

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 12
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Mar 02, 2010, 08:26:01 PM »
Im running my second set of 35" 12.50 pro comp xtreme mud terrains and i love them, great off road and on the road. They are quite and wear very well for a dd!

mtbiker

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Mar 15, 2010, 01:06:53 PM »
cant go wrong with toyo mts or bfg

dgrant71

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 236