Author Topic: rear overload leaf  (Read 7144 times)

birfection

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 203
  • Member since Oct '09
  • Drummond Island
    • View Profile
rear overload leaf
« on: Feb 21, 2010, 10:05:21 PM »
I'm running stock rear leafs in my 1980 pickup. i am replacing the bushings and wondering if I should remove the bottom(overload?) leaf from the pack. I don't haul a lot of weight, and i am building a flatbed for the truck. I want the rear to flex more, but i also don't want the rear to hop like crazy in sand.(axle wrap) What should i do?
TITAN CRUSHER      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6qnDVgWBSA

1980 Pickup: 22RE (bored 20 over, OS Valves, 261 cam, ported and polished intake/exhaust, Pacesetter long-tube header), L52 5 Speed, 6 leaf RUF, 63" Chevies, Hi-steer, 35 x 12.5 Maxxis Creepy Crawlers, Dual 2.28 cases, Detroit Front, Welded Rear, 5.29s

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 250
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
Re: rear overload leaf
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2010, 10:24:02 PM »
Yeah you can take it out.  Especially if you're planning on a light flatbed.  But you will definitely get more axle wrap.  Two options to cure that:  1. Traction bar  2. anti-wrap (half) leaf.
'80 Pickup, 5VZ-FE engine, A340F transmission, Marlin gear drive adapter, Dual Ultimate transfer cases, 5.29 gears, Detroit rear/Lockrite front locker, 37" Goodyear MTRs, XRC8 winch, custom tube bed and armor

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2010, 12:37:03 AM »
The overload spring is the only thing hold up my rear from sagging too much............

(no gap anymore, even when bed is empty)
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

birfection [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '09
  • Drummond Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2010, 06:41:46 AM »
Yeah you can take it out.  Especially if you're planning on a light flatbed.  But you will definitely get more axle wrap.  Two options to cure that:  1. Traction bar  2. anti-wrap (half) leaf.
Sounds like i should keep the overloads in. The ride might be stiffer, but that's better than a ton of axle wrap. Here's a question: If i decide to run a traction bar, will it make a difference if i run the springs with or without the overload leaf?

1980 Pickup: 22RE (bored 20 over, OS Valves, 261 cam, ported and polished intake/exhaust, Pacesetter long-tube header), L52 5 Speed, 6 leaf RUF, 63" Chevies, Hi-steer, 35 x 12.5 Maxxis Creepy Crawlers, Dual 2.28 cases, Detroit Front, Welded Rear, 5.29s

85_4RNR

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 265
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:15:22 AM »
Axle hop is what you mean. You don't have bad axle wrap. I have more wrap now with my overloads out but never had hop. I think hop is just an inescapable pickup thing. Axle wrap is when your axle twists when you accelerate hard.
I work a 2000 BMW 540i 6 speed

birfection [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '09
  • Drummond Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2010, 09:34:52 AM »
Axle hop is what you mean. You don't have bad axle wrap. I have more wrap now with my overloads out but never had hop. I think hop is just an inescapable pickup thing. Axle wrap is when your axle twists when you accelerate hard.
Yes, i am referring to rear hopping. Can a 22r really cause that much axle wrap anyway? And will taking the overload out cause the truck to hop more? (I'm running 33s)

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2010, 10:06:25 AM »

Axle hop is created by axle wrap.  The torque of the axle is transferred to the leaf springs, where they rapidly load up and release the energy (hop).  So if he has bad axle hop, yes he has axle wrap.  Your truck probably just has bent leaves, so it won't hop when it wraps anymore.  My old Tacoma used to be able to bend brand new leaves in a month with axle wrap.  When it stopped bouncing so hard when I was drag racing somebody, then I knew they were done for.  Axle hop is not an inescapable pickup thing.  It's just a crappy leaf spring setup thing.

Birfection, with the traction bar the hop should be limited, so you can set up a nice soft spring rate without the consequences.  The drawback of a traction bar is that its yet another thing hanging down to hang your truck up on.  However, I have seen some that were done very well and tucked up nice.

An anti-wrap leaf is a leaf cut in half, that is placed at the top of the pack facing the front.  This resists the wave motion of the springs when they wrap.  This will likely stiffen the suspension some, but not as much as a full leaf.  The drawback of this is that you can still get axle hop with enough torque.  It's just a limiter.

The fool-proof method to get a nice soft spring rate with no wrap whatsoever is to chop off the leaf springs, and do a link suspension.

Can a 22R axle wrap?  Oh yeah..  Wait until you're hung up on something, then you will really see it happen.  My 20R can wrap up the springs just taking off from a light quickly.  Granted it doesn't do it nearly as bad as my old Tacoma did.  

But really, you should just try it.  It doesn't take too much time, and it (shouldn't) cost you anything.  I'm running stock Tacoma leaf springs with the overload pulled, and the axle wrap isn't enough to bother me.  I have a flat bed, but it's probably about the same weight as the stock bed or more.  Eventually I will 4-link it, but for now it's fine.
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2010, 10:13:16 AM by Quick Draw »
'80 Pickup, 5VZ-FE engine, A340F transmission, Marlin gear drive adapter, Dual Ultimate transfer cases, 5.29 gears, Detroit rear/Lockrite front locker, 37" Goodyear MTRs, XRC8 winch, custom tube bed and armor

85_4RNR

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2010, 10:18:28 AM »
Hmmmmm. I have zero axle hop but terrible axle wrap. Every pickup truck Ive wheeled with has terrible axle hop, even new trucks. Ive never seen an SUV or owned one that has had axle hop.

My land cruiser-- no axle hop
my 93 pickup---hopped a lot
current 85 4runner---no axle hop at all
dads 00 taco--bad axle hop
friends 85 pickup--bad axle hop

:headscratch:
And were refering to axle hop that happens when your spinnin tires in deep sand and it feels like your truck is gonna fall apart due to the intense vibrations.

sorry for the hijack bro

Im a little confused
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2010, 10:24:14 AM by 85_4RNR »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2010, 10:22:05 AM »
leave the flat leaf in the pack
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2010, 10:30:24 AM »
85_4RNR, it's probably just a difference in weight over the rear axle.  No doubt a light back end will hop more.  But anything with leaf springs is capable of hopping.  I have seen a 2nd gen Runner with Chevys (which is a heavy biatch compared to your 1st gen), hop in particular wheeling situations.

85_4RNR

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2010, 10:36:06 AM »
Ok.  8)  I always thought that might have something to do with it.

birfection [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '09
  • Drummond Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2010, 04:53:09 PM »
Alright, so I'm not in a position to get different springs or a traction bar at this time. I'm building a fairly light flatbed for my truck. To achieve the best traction(less hop) in snow and sand, should i leave the overload leaf in the stock pack or remove it?

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2010, 06:52:03 PM »
Leave it in if traction is your priority.  If a smoother ride is your priority, pull it out.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2010, 09:01:51 PM »
Every pickup truck Ive wheeled with has terrible axle hop, even new trucks.

Remember the commercials ford ran a couple years back with a mustang romping around in a big empty warehouse with a wet floor?  Remember the quick shot of it burning off the tires while taking off?  Remember the tire hopping repeatedly  :haha:

My first gen has horrible axle wrap, which leads to horrible hop, which sucked even worse when it had more power. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2010, 09:04:50 PM »
Another solution would be to put an anti-wrap leaf on top of the spring pack. Not that hard to do.

David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2010, 05:02:32 PM »
could i cut my overload in half and use it as the anti-wrap leaf on top?

It's too flat, and would tend to lower the rear
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

birfection [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '09
  • Drummond Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2010, 06:11:08 PM »
What works good as an anti-wrap leaf? Where would i find one?

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2010, 07:12:48 PM »
Go to a junk yard and get a Toyota leaf pack you can cut up.  Use a leaf from the pack that's fairly long.  But as I said earlier, this anti-wrap leaf doesn't necessarily get rid of axle wrap.  It just resists and limits it.