Author Topic: Help with G52 Rebuild and/or W56 Swap Kind of long)  (Read 2164 times)

t_main_99

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
Help with G52 Rebuild and/or W56 Swap Kind of long)
« on: Feb 03, 2010, 04:51:57 PM »
I’ll try to keep this as short as I can, and not to whine too much, but I need a little help with my two Toyotas:

1985 4Runner with a 22RE with a 5 speed, presumably a W56. Formerly (until a few days ago) fairly cherry and mostly stock. Thursday night, two days after my ankle surgery, my wife rear-ended someone, and mangled the right front fender, hood, bumper, etc – crazy Seattle traffic! I’m buying it back from the insurance company, and will fix it, but it’s going to have to wait, at least for a while until I back on both feet.

1984 Xtracab with a 22R (carbureted) and a G52 Transmission with Marlin Crawler number 817, which I converted myself, as well as 4:88s, Detroit Locker in the rear, Trutrac in the front, also installed by me, 80K miles ago . I started a rebuild on this transmission before buying the 4Runnner due to a bad roller bearing and worn synchros (225K miles). I replaced all of the bearings and synchros (and bedded them in), but during reassembly per the FSM, I noticed that it locked up, engaging multiple gears at once – it only spins in neutral. I thought this might be because it was just the gear stack only supported in a vice, so I installed the stack into the housing, complete with shifter, but no luck, same problem. I took it back apart, re-checked everything, but no smoking gun. What should I check next? Further complicating things, I intended to do this over a long 4th of July weekend…a year and a half ago, and on the second day, we received word that my Father-in-law had passed, and I had to drop everything for a while. When I came back, things got busy, I found the 4Runner that I always hoped to buy, so I put the G52 tranny rebuild on the back burner and my wife started driving the 4Runner.
Now that the 4Runner is out of commission, I need to get the Xtracab back on the road ASAP, but I’m still on crutches for weeks. I’m down, but not out, and can still spend short periods of time in the garage, in between icing my ankle and be nagged on by my wife for not taking it easy.
I have two options as I see it:

1) Figure out what I did wrong during reassembly of the G52, and reassemble it the right way, and stuff it back into the Xtracab. I really don’t see how the shift forks could be assembled incorrectly, or the detent balls. I took decent photos of before, during and after, and had the exploded view and FSM the whole way, but trying to get my head back into this after so much time is tough, and I don’t want to waste time doing trial and error while on crutches, if possible. Any ideas of what I might have done wrong?

2)Borrow the W56 from the 4Runner and install it in the Xtracab. I realize that it’s not a direct swap, but doable, and that the W56 is much stronger than the G52. This is the least desirable choice because the 4Runner is smashed and not roadworthy, but still driveable if I need to move it.

I’d hate to waste the time, money and effort that I have in the G52, only to scrap it (and take a hit to the ego). But I need to get a vehicle back on the road, as quickly and painlessly as possible. I consider myself a pretty competent mechanic and fabricator, but I'm stumped, ANY input would be much appreciated!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
put the w56 in the truck, trans tcase and all.  later on you can replace the runner transmission with another w56  and have a good strong transmission in both rides :thumbs:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

t_main_99 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply, I can use all the help that I can get right now!

The problem (if you could call having a crawler a problem!) is that I have a dual-case crawler in the Xtracab (long bed chassis), but shortened rear and lengthened front drive shaft). The 4Runner is on a short bed chassis, no crawler...yet, so the driveshafts won't swap. I'll probably end up going to the 4.7:1 crawler gears, rather than dual cases in the 4Runner.

There has to be some transmission experts out there - please chime in.
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2010, 07:19:53 PM by t_main_99 »

mr.charli3

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 92
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
Get a 6mil plastic drop cloth and have some one help you and put that baby in the living room in front of couch!!(do this while the wife is at work and make sure the help is gone before she arrives home  :beerchug:) Then tear it copletely down and reassemble it. Could be just a gear/snchro not in just so or something wicked simple ya know. Just get it back apart and reassemble it sometimes things just dont go in right and just have to be redone.Especialy when there are that many parts that have to go in exactly.

t_main_99 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
Alrighty then...I just picked up a used top shifting W56 and transfercase that should tide me over, leaving the 4Runner intact. I'll need to convert my crawler box (from the dead G52) to a top shifter, which hopefully will be pretty straight forward. It was years ago when I assembled the crawler, and I can't remember how much I'll have to disassemble to get to the shift rods and forks, but it shouldn't be too bad. I'll probably replace the main seal on the W56's input shaft for good measure.

Any other tips before I dive in?