Author Topic: Swap to a gear transfer case questions (??)  (Read 4930 times)

devrodirt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 12
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Keep it simple
    • View Profile
Swap to a gear transfer case questions (??)
« on: Nov 23, 2004, 06:27:59 PM »
No one around here (London, Arkansas) has any idea of what I'm talking about, so I need a little help....
I have a '95 4runner, V6, 5 speed, [2nd genration] and I plan on replacing the whimpy motor with a 3.4 Toyota.  While doing so I'd like to swap the transfer case to a gear drive case so that I can install lower gears.
Question is: Will the gear transfer case bolt right up to my transmission?
                 Do I need drive shaft work?
                 Exactly what transfer case am I looking for?
                 Can anyone who has done this swap tell me what I'm in for?

Thanks
Started wheelin' in 1976 when I bought a Scout II new off the lot.  I've since switched to Toyota.  I like rigs that I can travel in and still take off road.
Small tires = bigger challenges.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2243
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: Swap to a gear transfer case questions (??)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2004, 06:37:40 PM »
Will the gear transfer case bolt right up to my transmission?
No, you will need to either buy a gear drive t/case adapter, P/N#34-4GT, OR you could change your transmission to a R151F 1986-1987 22R-TE Turbo 4WD 5 speed transmission. Just simply put your 3.0 R150F bellhousing onto the R151F transmission, and now you can directly mount a gear drive transfercase behind the transmission without the need of any additional adapters.

Do I need drive shaft work?
If you are going to go dual case, yes. Otherwise no, the 3.4 is the same length as the 3.0.

Exactly what transfer case am I looking for?
You will need two top shifting gear drive RF1A transfercases that were sold during 1979-1995. Specifically, you need two t/cases from a 1985-1988 EFI 22R-E 4cyl non-turbo 4wd pickup/4runner.

Can anyone who has done this swap tell me what I'm in for?
There are a coulpe of members here who have done this, so im sure someone will post up. Otherwise do an "Advanced Search" and try to find some older posts regarding this conversion.

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

devrodirt [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Keep it simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2004, 07:22:42 PM »
Thanks BigMike.  By the time I buy a RF1A, adapter plate and lower gears it's going to cost me as much as buying the entier thing from Marlin!!!  Kinda takes the fun out of doing it all myself, but I'll probably end up with a more reliable product too.
Started wheelin' in 1976 when I bought a Scout II new off the lot.  I've since switched to Toyota.  I like rigs that I can travel in and still take off road.

raybie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 423
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2004, 03:33:05 PM »
here is what i know from researching and doing.  I have a 90 4runner with the 3.0 (still), i changed trannies to a R151f and dual cases.  not a hard swap.  the r150 bell housing (from your truck)bolts up to the r151f.  you'll need a 23 spline input for at least the crawler case (front case) as the r151f is a 23 spline output.

i had to dog leg the tranny shifter to get it to clear the dash, and had to trim some floor board for the crawler case shifter to clear.  bought a standard v6 bud built crossmember had the drive lines done. 

what i've found for the 3.0 to 3.4 swap is that it will bolt up to the same bell housing, and engine mounts. hood clearance can be an issue.  off road solutions http://offroadsolutions.com/index/newproducts.htm has a plug and play kit for the engine swamp that make it a weekend project from what i know.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2004, 04:18:10 PM »
hey dev :welcome: from a fellow arky,    If i was you id check with TAP recycling or Marlin, hint hint :banana: and see if they could swap you a R151 for your R150 , not sure where London is, um over by Conway ??? then if you need some help with the other stuff i can set you up,   
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

devrodirt [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Keep it simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2004, 07:51:35 PM »
OK.  I think I have all this figured out.  Now all I need is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ !!!!

Glen, I'll swap you trail info in the Ozarks for trail info in the Quachita's (!)  I don't get into the Quachita's much but when I do all I ever drive on is forest raods.
Thanks for the welcome

Devro

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2004, 07:32:32 AM »
hey thats cool,  where exactly is london,   is that near Cass????

i know where you can get a couple topshift cases for cheap
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

devrodirt [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Keep it simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2004, 06:32:24 PM »
London is a suberb of Russellville.  Exit #74 on Hwy 40.  I am exactly 60 minutes from Cass, 1hr 10min from Byrd's.

I had planned on heading up that way today but found I had two flat tires!!!  Seems last weekends run (in the mud) up Herrod's Creek (in the Cass area) caused me to unseat the beads on my two front tires and pack them with mud!!  By the time I got them aired up enough to get to a tire shop it was too late to head to Cass.
Wife and I played on a few easy trails in the Piney Creek area instead
It's deer season today so had to watch out for ramped orange hats on ATV's!!!

I am very interested in the xfer cases you mentioned

Later