Author Topic: HELP MARLIN! 5MGE/R151F swap Information needed! HELP MARLIN!  (Read 13788 times)

rocktoy74

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 213
  • Member since Jun '02
  • I WANT FRONT DIG!
    • View Profile
I am trying to fit a 5MGE engine Into a 84' Xtra cab that is running a R151F transmission and 23 spline transfer case. :greengrin:  I know that the 5MGE will bolt up to some of the Toyota truck transmissions (I am not sure which ones though, possibly all of them) :dunno: But since I already have the R151F and trans. case in the truck I am going to try to make a custom bellhousing. The front half of the b.h. has to be a Supra b.h. and the back half has to be truck R151F. I need to get a some measurements on the mounting surface to mounting surface of the diffrent bellhousings. I measured my old 84' G52 b.h. and It was 6 1/2", I also measured a Supra b.h. and It was 6 5/8". I need the R151f b.h. measurement. Should my new b.h. be equal to the Supra b.h.? Please help me Marlin as you are the unquestionable guru of Toyota transmissions! :bowdown: 
84' XTRA Cab, 22R, R151, Dual cases W/Marlin Crawler 23 Spline 4.70 Total Spline and 23 spline 2.28 Crawlbox, Alcans, Bilstein 5125's, HP 529, V6 529, HAD Shafts, FROR Full Floater, Old School AllPro Crossmember, Marlin Crawler High Steer, Marlin Crawler Bumpers and Sliders

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
I am almost sure that the R151F bellhousing is 6 1/2" wide. It should be the same as the G52 b/h. I will double check in the a.m. when i get to the shop.
Have you tried fitting the turbo b/h to the back of the 5MGE engine?
I was told that the 5MGE shares the same pattern as the 20-22R engines.

Marlin
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

Paul_Elbisser

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 43
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Aug '02
  • Supra Powered
    • View Profile
    • KraZyfly
5MGE shares the same block as the 7MGE /T . Thestarter is on drivers side.
The 5/7M engines came with W trans. That is why you can put the Truck trans to a M motor.
Pic of a modified bellhousing. R151F to 7MGTE http://www.supracharged.com/4runner/bellhousing-done.jpg

In case you didn't know. More info about Supra swaps are here http://www.supracharged.com Including yes another forum with supra swappers on it. He just got it running last week so just a little info in there

There is talk of some bellhousing being made.
Paul Elbisser
PastTLCA Eastern Rep,
Pres. Rice on the Rocks
One of Those Guys

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
Paul, thanks for the update

"6 in a row will go"

Marlin
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

Yoda_Man

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '04
  • boostin to 18psi in 4lo
    • View Profile
if your only gonna run a 5m then a w56 will probably hold the power fine.
1/2 85 toyota 4x4 + 1/2 turbo supra = ALL TOYOTA

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
In case you didn't know. More info about Supra swaps are here http://www.supracharged.com

Funny how a site named www.supercharged.com talks mainly about Turbos and not Superchargers

:hammer:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
hey you wouldent want another bellhousing  off of a 20r l43 tranny?? :eyebrow:

Paul_Elbisser

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '02
  • Supra Powered
    • View Profile
    • KraZyfly
In case you didn't know. More info about Supra swaps are here http://www.supracharged.com

Funny how a site named www.supercharged.com talks mainly about Turbos and not Superchargers

It's SUPRA charged, not Super.

Other info about the bellhousing on the Supras. They had shift fork and clutch slave on the drivers side. The one in the pic used the section of the R151F belhousing with theshift fork comming out the pass side. I'm not sude if there is a place to put the fork pivot on the drivers side of the R151F. This may  why it is comming out the pass side. Or it was easier to weld it together like that. I havn't asked if the rubber parts on the slave have issues with the exhaust heat or not.
Paul Elbisser
PastTLCA Eastern Rep,
Pres. Rice on the Rocks
One of Those Guys

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup

oh geeze  :smack: :slap: I think i've been sippin to much cough medicine  :beer: :yupyup:

Mike  :screwy:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Yoda_Man

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile

Other info about the bellhousing on the Supras. They had shift fork and clutch slave on the drivers side. The one in the pic used the section of the R151F belhousing with theshift fork comming out the pass side. I'm not sude if there is a place to put the fork pivot on the drivers side of the R151F. This may  why it is comming out the pass side. Or it was easier to weld it together like that. I havn't asked if the rubber parts on the slave have issues with the exhaust heat or not.

the supra uses a pull type clutch rather than a push type thats why the bellhousing is longer.  the bellhousing in the picture uses a push type clutch thats why the R151 side was used. 

Paul_Elbisser

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '02
  • Supra Powered
    • View Profile
    • KraZyfly
 Some are push. Here is 2 bellhousings. One is from a 5MGE Supra, the other is a W56 truck.
Paul Elbisser
PastTLCA Eastern Rep,
Pres. Rice on the Rocks
One of Those Guys

jr9162

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 512
  • Member since Sep '04
  • No nookie like Chinookie no butts like Halibuts
    • View Profile
Thanks to John Douglas http://members.ozemail.com.au/~jonhel5/
I learned that Marks makes an adapter to mate the R150F, and/or R151F (both with 165 mm or 6.5 inch long input shafts) to a G52/54 or W56/W58 bellhousing.

See http://members.iinet.net.au/%7Eozrunner/AdapterR150.html . I am waiting on the Marks part number. This unit should be available in the US via Advance Adapters - Marks agent in North America.

So just take your turbo Supra 7M-GTE block, use a 5M-GE flywheel - clutch assembly - and (W58) bellhousing assembly, this adapter, and mount your trusty R151F to the engine. No more trashed G52/G54 or W56's!

JR
I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
People Eating Tasty Animals
There's no nookie like chinookie
No butts like halibuts
Fish are not our friends, they're food.
Eat more moose - 10,000 wolves can't be wrong

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist".

jr9162

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
The part number for that adapter plate is MFK 750 cost is $375 (Australian ?) from the Marks factory in Melbourne. It adds 16mm to the length of the drivetrain. I'm waiting on clarification if it requires removal of the input shaft bearing retainer/cover on the R150F/R151F/R452

JR
I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
No butts like halibuts

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist".

fahrenheit 451

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I would be really interested in more info on this adapter. The Surpa swap is a big part of my fantasy life and that adapter could be easier and possibly less expensive, or even more reliable than paying for a custom bellhousing to be made.
Any further info on this yet? Especially what if any machining may have to be done to get it to fit and if the part is sold in the US. I've dealt with having stuff shipped from down under before and it is so friggin' expensive and slow that alone could potentially make it not worthwhile.
There probably isn't enough demand, but perhaps we could convince Marlin that this could be an interesting little project to figure out and add to the bounty on this site hint hint  :eyebrow:
PLMK. Thanks!
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2004, 08:05:25 AM by fahrenheit 451 »

Yoda_Man

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
what about a reliable clutch?? toyota used a pull type clutch on the turbo supra for a reason.

why not use a 95.5 and new R150 it has the longer input shaft so a unmodified R154 bellhousing can be used.  you would just need a passenger side transfer case

neil

fahrenheit 451

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
what about a reliable clutch?? toyota used a pull type clutch on the turbo supra for a reason.

why not use a 95.5 and new R150 it has the longer input shaft so a unmodified R154 bellhousing can be used.  you would just need a passenger side transfer case

neil

Are you running this setup? I would really like to do this swap (would be going into a '93 4Runner, 22re, G58, chain drive), but so far with reports of G and W transmissions not surviving the 7mge and the R151 requiring bellhousing mods I have been getting skittish about it.
If all I would have to do is put an adapter to gear drive transfercase I would start getting a little excited about the possibility of pulling this off and having something I trusted to last afterwards. Especially since I've come across some r150s (unknown years though) with the adapter and gear drive case already attached once or twice already.
Any info would be appreciated.

jr9162

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
The Marks adapter does require removal of the original R series gearbox input shaft bearing retainer/cover. The adapter replaces it. Adds some 5/8" to the driveline.

Using a later R150F on the turbo 7M-GTE bellhousing requires a modified pilot bearing and you're limited to the chain driven Tcase unless you convert it to a gear driven one.

The guy who showed me the Marks adapter is using a R154 behind a Ford 302 and a Dellow (Aussie made) bellhousing. He's using the R150F tailhousing and output shaft to a chain driven Tcase. Because he's using 4.56:1 gears and large tires he installed the overdrive gear from a Dyna R452 2WD gearbox in his tranny. Result is something like 37% overdrive. However you're limited to the standard R154 1st thru 4th gears.

I'm not sure if you coukd use a 86-87 turbo R151F tailhousing on a R150F gearbox. You can modify the R151F using the gearset from the Dyna R452 for something like a 5.13:1 granny 1st gear, 1:1 4th, and the normal overdrive. Wouldn't have to necessarily use a crawl unit. On the other sie of the fence, you can use the Dyna R452 overdrive gears in a R151F, having a 4.xx:1 1st gear, 1:1 4th, and 30% overdrive versus the stock 17%. Nice tid bits to know....

I don't think you'd have a problem with a 5M-GE or 7M-GE clutch behind one of these engines mated to a R151F using the 5M-GE bellhousing and adapter. The turbo 7M-GTE (especially hot rodded) is probably another story. Maybe having the clutch be the weakest link in the driveline - other than birfields-  isn't such a bad thing.

Advance Adapters is Marks agent in the US. I'm sure they can get the part for you.
I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
No butts like halibuts