Author Topic: L52 swap to a w56  (Read 7509 times)

loctupdave

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
L52 swap to a w56
« on: Jan 07, 2010, 05:45:03 AM »
I have the truck, a 1983 long bed. I have also a used W56B trans. I intend to begin the swap in two weeks, have honey dues to take care of this week end. The plan is to modify the existing cross member to accept the W56, if possible. If not then I will build a cross member to replace it. I will also be using the 1983 drive shafts, I will have the front one rebuilt with a longer tube and the rear shortened. One of the problems that I am looking at is how to dress the shifters in the cab. I understand I will have to cut the floor and cover some of the old opening. This will work out fine as I have some rust to cut out and weld in new floor panels. I have not quite figured how to dress it with the new carpet the truck will be getting.
I will post pics as the build moves forward.
A real man builds it... Then his wife points out all that he did wrong.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: L52 swap to a w56
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2010, 11:02:14 AM »
cross member is the same, just use some u bolts over the frame and slide it back
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2010, 02:52:28 PM »
cross member is the same, just use some u bolts over the frame and slide it back

X2 did this on my dads 82 when his L52 went out.  :biggthumpup:
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

loctupdave [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2010, 04:37:18 AM »
I will move it with u-bolts for the set up and testing. Thanks for the info. I will then build a stronger unit that does not hang down so much and lifts the trans.

-Jake-

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 538
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2010, 07:18:25 AM »
The crossmember on the 79-83 Toyota's is a little narrower.  I turned my around backwards and the 2 rear bolt holes lined with the now 2 front bolts then I welded on some angle iron to the frame for the rear bolts.  I think to use u-bolts you'll need an 84-88 crossmember.
81 Hilux, E-Lockers, 5.29s, Duals, 30 spline Longfields, 8274 Warn, 40" Iroks, F150s and RUF

jmac

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2010, 07:57:45 AM »
Is '83 still 1st gen????  There is more to it that using the same cross member and u-bolts if it is.  I put a w56 in my '81 about a year ago.  Totally worth it I must add.  Here is what I remember (I had some pics posted from photobucket but account went inactive and have wiped computer since and lost them).  If you really want I can take some more.

1.?????? either reverse switch or speedometer plug is different.  I think reverse switch => I either removed switch from l52 and put in w56 or cut plugin off 1st gen truck and used w56 plug???  Also look at the clutch slave cylinder mount I think these are different as well.  I think you may have to take one off the 3rd gen truck???  Just for extra support some of the trucks have a 2 braces that go between engine block and tranny....these are cast triangle looking things.  Grab them off 3rd gen and put on 1st gen if not there already and option in available.  Also check your fluid (tranny and transfer case (seprate compartments in w56)

2.Put in new pilot bearing and clutch kit

2.Minor floor cutting in front. (sealed everything up with silicone after first flooding out cab going through water in town)

3.Measure carefully for step 4.

4.x-member bolt holes will not align with 1st gen holes due to 1st gen frame being narrower.....hence I could not figure out how u-bolts would work.  79coyotefrg had suggested this to me also. => Bolted through two pieces of angle iron on each side to hang x-member.  I cut x-member even with outer frame and welded 1/4" angle iron to the cut surface.   Welded another piece of angle iron to frame.  Drill holes first.

5.I had a hell of a time getting the w56 input shaft to go in my pilot bearing good luck.  Got about 25k miles and no noise so I guess it's OK.

6. Bolt it up.  Use 2-3ft extensions from underside of truck for upper tranny bolts (easier than reaching through cut metal hole in cab).

7. I though I was done here but guess what......... I was wrong.  3rd gen trucks have beefier drivetrains (bolt holes for u-joint flange onto rear end and front end).  There are many options here.

a. use 3rd gen drivetrain and drill out holes in 1st gen rearend and frontend flange.
b.use 1st gen drivetrain flanges on 3rd gen drivetrain.
c.Use inner shaft from 1st gen and outer shaft from 3rd gen.
d.probably others

When I say flange I mean the two plates that the drive shaft bolts go through.  Sorry for the poor verbage.

I believe this is correct (can't remember everything). I took option 3 it seemed the easiest, but I think the now the u-joint or bolts size or something is different at the tranny vs the rearend on my truck.

Just get both driveshafts and figure it out.  I can remember may have even just used late model drivetrain with 1st gen flange (buy new u-joints in this case).  I can assure though that the flange on the 3rd gen will require grinding due to some of the casting protruding out on face that bolts against rearend (this doesn't interfere on 3d gen due to flange size difference and is why I know I did not go down this path).  I know I had to put u-joints in to rear drive shaft due to piecing together between the early and late model (front or rear I cannot remember)  and I used the 1st gen inner and 3rd gen outer on front shaft (I'm sure of this as I remember them being very tight due to 1st gen inner shaft being in rough shape on mine).

Make sure there is no interference during flex/suspension movement.

8. Remove the cool old school shifter knob from l52 and put it on the w56 and go raise some hell.

Aside, I've got about 2" lift and and Goodyear all terrains....when my gauge says 60 i'm really going 70..........learned that one the hard way.

Good luck and let me know if you want me take some pics.  I think this was all the issues I ran into....It helps to have the 3rd gen truck close by if you need some parts off it.  I remember having to pull crap off it that I had not planned on needing.

jmac

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2010, 07:58:54 AM »
Jake, you beat me to it while i was typing

loctupdave [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2010, 12:56:14 PM »
Post those pics, you can never have enough of those no mater what they are of. I would love to see the sticks from the inside of the truck. I do not have a late model truck to work from so I will make due when needed. Thanks for the great post.

jmac

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2010, 02:57:33 PM »
Sorry for the delay I had some trouble getting these pictures off my phone.  also truck is muddy as it has gotten even close to freezing and any water would just ice up on truck (had fun getting the windows clean after getting mud on them the other day).

Here is a side, rear, and bottom view

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2010, 07:24:07 PM »
I did the same thing on the inside of the frame on my dads truck.  :gap:
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

jmac

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:14:09 AM »

Fairly easy solution and seems to hold up well.  I've put several on and off road miles on it and no problems yet.

I will move it with u-bolts for the set up and testing. Thanks for the info. I will then build a stronger unit that does not hang down so much and lifts the trans.

How are you coming along??? I would like to see some pics of what you end up when you get done. :thumbs:

redneck_toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:28:03 AM »
Sorry for the delay I had some trouble getting these pictures off my phone.  also truck is muddy as it has gotten even close to freezing and any water would just ice up on truck (had fun getting the windows clean after getting mud on them the other day).

Here is a side, rear, and bottom view

FYI, I did this same thing when I swapped in a w-56, just some angle iron on the inside of the framerails, redrilled the holes.
After 5 or so years of hard wheeling, my crossmember is now so bowed that there is a half inch gap at the outside of the framerails. It also started tearing the welds where the angle iron is mounted. The pic above is by far a better way of doing it IMO. The tabs on the outside also would have prevented the bowing mine has recieved.
My rig is offroad only, though, and I wheel fairly hard. A DD/Wheeler probably wouldn't see the same kind of abuse

loctupdave [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2010, 05:53:32 AM »
I like the frame angle iron idea. I think I am going to use this.
I hope to start on the trans swap this weekend, the only draw back is the weather and a broken garage heater. That frick'n concrete is cold when the temp is close to 0. I may have to fix the heater instead.