Author Topic: School Essay on Toyota  (Read 4546 times)

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
School Essay on Toyota
« on: Nov 18, 2009, 10:38:10 AM »
I have to write a persuasive essay for my english class. The topic I chose is "WHy you should buy a Toyota instead of any other vehicle" SO. I need some points about why a Toyota is better than any other brand if you were gonna buy a new vehicle.

So far Iv got:

-Supports American Labor with factories inside US
-Proven more reliable

Essay is due in full on friday :thumbs:

Jerry92toy added:

-Large aftermarket support
-Out of the box off road ability
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2009, 10:43:59 AM by NorCalToy »
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
Re: School Essay on Toyota
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2009, 10:47:28 AM »
Its highly customizable, it can go offroad stock very well. the drivetrain is great. the engines are too, they tread lightly,
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

catfish

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2009, 11:00:07 AM »
resale, durebility, customer service

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2009, 12:17:04 PM »
that you still see 79-present yr Toyota's on the road today versus other vehicle makes and models
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2009, 12:24:38 PM »
Their legendary reputation around the world. Trusted in more out of the way places, potentially deadly areas than any brand I know of.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2009, 12:46:12 PM »
You might also note how piss poor American automotive companies have fared in the recent years compared to Toyota
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

ROKTOY829

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 191
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2009, 01:25:48 PM »
I would also talk about how many jobs there are due to tms. usa

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2009, 01:31:26 PM »
Thanks for the Ideas guys keep em comin. I had to go check in with my teacher and she was impressed with the number of reasons a Toyota is better. :yupyup:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2009, 01:34:54 PM »
I dont know about later models, but my 81 has been cheap as hell to find parts for, and easy as cake to work on.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2009, 01:42:09 PM »
I dont know about later models, but my 81 has been cheap as hell to find parts for, and easy as cake to work on.

Yeah, even the 95-04 tacomas are still easy to work on. Can't speak for the 05+ cuz I have never tinkered with one of those.

RokCrawlinToy

• Crawler of Rocks
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 4214
  • Male Posts: 1,030
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Thermobaric Urban Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2009, 01:55:18 PM »
Some cool things I learned about Toyota when I worked for them.
"Kaizen" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaizen Continous improvement. Its part of the work ethic.
Also on the production line, if someone see's something wrong, regradless of who they are. They can stop the production line so that the problem can be addressed.
Their production efficiency is something like 105% or more IIRC. They have been by domestic auto mfgs. to come to their factories to consult them about improving their factory productivity.
When they look at the companies future, they are not looking 3-5 years ahead, they are thinking 50-100 years ahead and what it will take to get them there.
One thing that I was  :yikes: by is, Toyota has enough cash in the bank. They could stop selling cars world wide for 5 years and still make payroll!!!

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2009, 02:05:12 PM »
Some cool things I learned about Toyota when I worked for them.
"Kaizen" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaizen Continous improvement. Its part of the work ethic.
Also on the production line, if someone see's something wrong, regradless of who they are. They can stop the production line so that the problem can be addressed.
Their production efficiency is something like 105% or more IIRC. They have been by domestic auto mfgs. to come to their factories to consult them about improving their factory productivity.
When they look at the companies future, they are not looking 3-5 years ahead, they are thinking 50-100 years ahead and what it will take to get them there.
One thing that I was  :yikes: by is, Toyota has enough cash in the bank. They could stop selling cars world wide for 5 years and still make payroll!!!

Wow, very interesting information!!!

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2009, 02:49:56 PM »
I see my last post was removed because it was not PC. SO here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_War
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

ROKTOY829

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 191
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2009, 03:15:27 PM »
The car company was a spin off of the textile company and it orginal spelling is toyoda if you look at some of the parts it still says toyoda. If my history is correct toyota just about went under in the korean war and if it wasn't for GM asking toyota to help out on the vehicle orders they would have. Also there are alot of gm cars that are toyota built.

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2009, 11:53:48 PM »
i think one of the big things is there re-sale value
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2009, 07:01:54 AM »
Better resale not only means you can get more money when you sell it -- it also means it will probably sell more quickly & easily.

Better reliability = less down time (obviously, duh! :gap:) which means a lot less aggravation and inconvenience for private individuals, and a lot less $$$ lost for business owners.
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

thegoofster21

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,644
  • Member since Mar '08
  • HIT IT HARD!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2009, 08:36:51 AM »
Yeah, even the 95-04 tacomas are still easy to work on. Can't speak for the 05+ cuz I have never tinkered with one of those.

yeah my 04 is easy to work on
Any guy who takes his woman wheeling enjoys her. A woman who is owned is left at home to cook, clean, and keep beer cold. So if this offends you you should stop looking and go have some tacos.    :rofl2: And a beer. If your old enough.   :beerchug:   :beer:

04 Tacoma 33s http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61454.0
jmoffroad.com

madmax886

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 40
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 19, 2009, 10:15:31 AM »
i think one of the big things is there re-sale value
ya you should include a general price for like a 95 4runner to a 95 ford explorer, or simular genaric vehicle, then compare the 2 or somethin

madmax886

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 40
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 19, 2009, 10:18:20 AM »
and maybe include that the ford explorer was the most turned in vehicle for cash for clunckers haha

Yoat Goat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 37
  • Male Posts: 731
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Someday my truck will look like this
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 20, 2009, 03:37:13 AM »
Car and driver or consumer reports said '98 tacoma's were the most reliable pickup ever made.
T urning
O ver after
Y ears
O f
T rail
A buse

zembalayan

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 254
  • Male Posts: 486
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2009, 07:08:37 AM »
If you had a little more time, you could develop an argument that describes the stringent Japanese "Shaken" policy/system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaken) , which rarely allows Japanese consumers a chance at keeping their new Toyotas for more than a few years because ultimately the vehicles will fail required vehicle inspections, and the consumers will have to fork out a ton of Yen for repairs and inspection fees to keep their beloved used cars on the road.  Because the Shaken policy basically forces consumers to replace their vehicles every three years or so with brand new cars, the Japanese manufacturers do not have to worry about losing future sales because they over-engineered or built their cars too well; furthermore, because Toyota, like other Japanese car makers, fanatically wanted to lift its world wide reputation above and beyond all other manufacturers, Toyota knew that the exportation of used Japanese vehicles, which would be discarded by the original Japanese owners due to Shaken laws, meant their vehicles had to continue to kick ass overseas to build Toyota’s reputation and to allow it to carve out a bigger world wide market share.  Truly, the side benefit of Shaken is that Japanese consumers continue to export all of their good used vehicles to other countries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_used_vehicle_exporting) for probably pretty good resale prices, while at the same time the auto manufacturers continue to reap the benefit of a government policy that forces Japanese consumers to buy new vehicles whether they need to or not, which in turn may drive real and quicker-paced design innovation to capture the higher expectations and technologically savvy tastes of Japanese new car buyers.

Compare this Shaken/Used-Car-Exportation system with what exists in the United States. Over here, many people drive their junk for a lot longer than Japanese consumers do (because they can).  Also, many people over here buy new cars whenever their warranties expire because they fear high repair costs and inconvenience.  This trend to buy a car for a new warranty illustrates the low expectations of U.S. new car buyers, and the reason I’d rather own a 1980 Toyota Hi-lux.  I certainly didn’t purchase mine last year for the warranty.
When you think about it, hardly anyone in the United States buys a new car because he expects to drive it for 30 years, well intending to exceed the terms of the warranty.  

Then we come to the idea of “planned obsolescence.”  In the U.S., manufacturers will never benefit in terms of future and continuous new car sales by building vehicles that are designed to last for 50 years.  They know that consumers would keep and cherish these types of vehicles for a lifetime or at least until TRUE innovations in technology persuade them to buy something new or better.  By incorporating planned obsolescence, manufacturers can build junk that conks out right on cue with consumers’ low expectations that they have to buy new cars with warranties.   I’d even say that Toyota knew that without any planned obsolescence for its U.S. motor designs they might last too long and hurt new car sales as well; you can see this change in its R Series engine design when it converted from the double row timing chain to a single row design in the 1980s.  Why was this change made?  Did it save money?  Probably, yes.  Will it wear out quicker and require enough future maintenance costs to drive someone to just buy another vehicle?  Maybe and maybe not.   Toyota never sold the 22R in Japan, and its reputation for reliability had already been solidified by that time, which hints at its move to not “overbuild” its newer 22Rs.

This is just my opinion, which I thought might be interesting to put forth for the essay writer or general discussion.  I am certainly not advocating for the U.S. to enact a Shaken-like system that would take my Toy babies off the road and thwart aftermarket Toy innovators.  No way, but we owe some gratitude to the Japanese consumer who has to buy all of the new stuff so we can benefit through this side-effect.  :twocents:

I remember when some of my buddies from Japan expressed their shock at seeing all of the old junk cars still on the road when they visited me in the U.S., which is something you don't see in Japan.  

« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2009, 04:28:56 PM by zembalayan »

Halladay

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '09
  • HALLADAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2009, 08:24:56 AM »
chicks dig'em  :cool:

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2009, 10:32:37 AM »
If you had a little more time, you could develop an argument that describes the stringent Japanese "Shaken" policy/system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaken) , which rarely allows Japanese consumers a chance at keeping their new Toyotas for more than a few years because ultimately the vehicles will fail required vehicle inspections, and the consumers will have to fork out a ton of Yen for repairs and inspection fees to keep their beloved used cars on the road.  Because the Shaken policy basically forces consumers to replace their vehicles every three years or so with brand new cars, the Japanese manufactures do not have to worry about losing future sales because they over-engineered or built their cars too well; furthermore, because Toyota, like other Japanese car makers, fanatically wanted to lift its world wide reputation above and beyond all other manufacturers, Toyota knew that the exportation of used Japanese vehicles, which would be discarded by the original Japanese owners due to Shaken laws, meant their vehicles had to continue to kick ass overseas to build Toyota’s reputation and to allow it to carve out a bigger world wide market share.  Truly, the side benefit of Shaken is that Japanese consumers continue to export all of their good used vehicles to other countries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_used_vehicle_exporting) for probably pretty good resale prices, while at the same time the auto manufacturers continue to reap the benefit of a government policy that forces Japanese consumers to buy new vehicles whether they need to or not, which in turn may drive real and quicker-paced design innovation to capture the higher expectations and technologically savvy tastes of Japanese new car buyers.

Compare this Shaken/Used-Car-Exportation system with what exists in the United States. Over here, many people drive their junk for a lot longer than Japanese consumers do (because they can).  Also, many people over here buy new cars whenever their warranties expire because they fear high repair costs and inconvenience.  This trend to buy a car for a new warranty illustrates the low expectations of U.S. new car buyers, and the reason I’d rather own a 1980 Toyota Hi-lux.  I certainly didn’t purchase mine last year for the warranty.
When you think about it, hardly anyone in the United States buys a new car because he expects to drive it for 30 years, well intending to exceed the terms of the warranty. 

Then we come to the idea of “planned obsolescence.”  In the U.S., manufactures will never benefit in terms of future and continuous new car sales by building vehicles that are designed to last for 50 years.  They know that consumers would keep and cherish these types of vehicles for a lifetime or at least until TRUE innovations in technology persuade them to buy something new or better.  By incorporating planned obsolescence, manufacturers can build junk that conks out right on cue with consumers’ low expectations that they have to buy new cars with warranties.   I’d even say that Toyota knew that without any planned obsolescence for its U.S. motor designs they might last too long and hurt new car sales as well; you can see this change in its R Series engine design when it converted from the double row timing chain to a single row design in the 1980s.  Why was this change made?  Did it save money?  Probably, yes.  Will it wear out quicker and require enough future maintenance costs to drive someone to just buy another vehicle?  Maybe and maybe not.   Toyota never sold the 22R in Japan, and its reputation for reliability had already been solidified by that time, which hints at its move to not “overbuild” its newer 22Rs.

This is just my opinion, which I thought might be interesting to put forth for the essay writer or general discussion.  I am certainly not advocating for the U.S. to enact a Shaken-like system that would take my Toy babies off the road and thwart aftermarket Toy innovators.  No way, but we owe some gratitude to the Japanese consumer who has to buy all of the new stuff so we can benefit through this side-effect.  :twocents:

I remember when some of my buddies from Japan expressed their shock at seeing all of the old junk cars still on the road when they visited me in the U.S., which is something you don't see in Japan. 

wow good read :thumbs:

GOt my Paper all written. Thanks for the help everyone! Turtle points all around :yupyup:

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2009, 07:13:41 PM »
If you had a little more time, you could develop an argument that describes the stringent Japanese "Shaken" policy/system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaken) , which rarely allows Japanese consumers a chance at keeping their new Toyotas for more than a few years because ultimately the vehicles will fail required vehicle inspections, and the consumers will have to fork out a ton of Yen for repairs and inspection fees to keep their beloved used cars on the road.  Because the Shaken policy basically forces consumers to replace their vehicles every three years or so with brand new cars, the Japanese manufactures do not have to worry about losing future sales because they over-engineered or built their cars too well; furthermore, because Toyota, like other Japanese car makers, fanatically wanted to lift its world wide reputation above and beyond all other manufacturers, Toyota knew that the exportation of used Japanese vehicles, which would be discarded by the original Japanese owners due to Shaken laws, meant their vehicles had to continue to kick ass overseas to build Toyota’s reputation and to allow it to carve out a bigger world wide market share.  Truly, the side benefit of Shaken is that Japanese consumers continue to export all of their good used vehicles to other countries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_used_vehicle_exporting) for probably pretty good resale prices, while at the same time the auto manufacturers continue to reap the benefit of a government policy that forces Japanese consumers to buy new vehicles whether they need to or not, which in turn may drive real and quicker-paced design innovation to capture the higher expectations and technologically savvy tastes of Japanese new car buyers.

Compare this Shaken/Used-Car-Exportation system with what exists in the United States. Over here, many people drive their junk for a lot longer than Japanese consumers do (because they can).  Also, many people over here buy new cars whenever their warranties expire because they fear high repair costs and inconvenience.  This trend to buy a car for a new warranty illustrates the low expectations of U.S. new car buyers, and the reason I’d rather own a 1980 Toyota Hi-lux.  I certainly didn’t purchase mine last year for the warranty.

Then we come to the idea of “planned obsolescence.”  In the U.S., manufactures will never benefit in terms of future and continuous new car sales by building vehicles that are designed to last for 50 years.  They know that consumers would keep and cherish these types of vehicles for a lifetime or at least until TRUE innovations in technology persuade them to buy something new or better.  By incorporating planned obsolescence, manufacturers can build junk that conks out right on cue with consumers’ low expectations that they have to buy new cars with warranties.   I’d even say that Toyota knew that without any planned obsolescence for its U.S. motor designs they might last too long and hurt new car sales as well; you can see this change in its R Series engine design when it converted from the double row timing chain to a single row design in the 1980s.  Why was this change made?  Did it save money?  Probably, yes.  Will it wear out quicker and require enough future maintenance costs to drive someone to just buy another vehicle?  Maybe and maybe not.   Toyota never sold the 22R in Japan, and its reputation for reliability had already been solidified by that time, which hints at its move to not “overbuild” its newer 22Rs.

This is just my opinion, which I thought might be interesting to put forth for the essay writer or general discussion.  I am certainly not advocating for the U.S. to enact a Shaken-like system that would take my Toy babies off the road and thwart aftermarket Toy innovators.  No way, but we owe some gratitude to the Japanese consumer who has to buy all of the new stuff so we can benefit through this side-effect.  :twocents:

Very interesting. I had heard of the Shaken policy but didn't know what it was called or how it worked. Thanks for the information.