Author Topic: is the LINCOLN 180 HD Mig Welder a good welder?  (Read 12759 times)

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
is the LINCOLN 180 HD Mig Welder a good welder?
« on: Feb 24, 2009, 01:47:08 PM »
Found a good deal on a LINCOLN 180 HD Mig Welder and im wondering if that would be a good welder for building bumpers, cages and general fab.  Im still a beginning welder but all ive heard is that mig is far easier than arc to use, and arc is what ive learned on.
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
I think it would be somewhat ideal for your app  :thumbs:

crawlerdan

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Found a good deal on a LINCOLN 180 HD Mig Welder and im wondering if that would be a good welder for building bumpers, cages and general fab.  Im still a beginning welder but all ive heard is that mig is far easier than arc to use, and arc is what ive learned on.
i ed to own one, great welder, id like another :D

cederrowe

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
There a great welder and are more than you'll ever need fabbing a truck! The 220v makes the super efficient.

4LoRunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Male Posts: 680
  • Member since Dec '08
  • 109:1
    • View Profile
    • Loaded Defense
    • Buy me a soda
great welder, going to invest on the 180c with the tax return $$$

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.aspx?p=42422
Sas'd '86 4Runner, 22RE-T, 4.88s, Dual Stock T-Cases, Locked F/R, 35" MTR's.
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=55751.0

tryn2Crawl

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
My brothers buddy did his SAS awhile while back with a lincoln 130 or 140, can't quite remember the actual one.I know its a itty bitty one....Did a Full SAS and more  with it....Everythings' holding up....But a 220 or so is a better all around welder but that one should be cool for that....

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
miller has a new 211 welder, same size 210 amps and you can use it on 110v or 220
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
i ended up buying the millermatic 211, so far its been great, but i havent gotten to put much time in on it yet.
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

bng1

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
That is a good welder. I started out a year back with a Miller 140 and now I got a Miller Millermatic 250.
You want a welder that burn hot so it can penetrate deeper into the metal so the welder joint are strong.

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,557
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
I have a miller 180 and its crazy nice. When i looked at them they are about the same, so i would say yeah its a good welder
If you see it, its for sale.

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
I have a miller 210 which is a nice welder however I still prefer a lincoln.... they just seem to run smoother and have less spatter....
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
One thing about a bigger welder to get more penetration. No matter how much power a welder has, it does not replace good weld prep. If you can always bevel your edges.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

80toyontons

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 40
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
Excellent welder! Its the one we have at our shop.
1980 toy. d60 up front, c14 out back. doved

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 270
  • Male Posts: 1,221
  • Member since Aug '09
  • Not all who wander...are lost
    • View Profile
Perfect size for what your looking at doing. I have an old miller challenger 172 runs on 220 v. I would say that the lincoln 180 will be just right for fab work on a truck.
SAS 89 p/u 3.0 5speed, bobbed, locked, ready to play in the rocks. or wherever the pavement ends :)
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61345.0 

a wise man listens and observes more so than he opens his mouth.. and when he does it is valuable information....   (twistedtoy92)

jdg235

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
I did my SAS with one and it worked great. Nice hot weld and smooth beads.

Sleeve of Wizzard

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 293
  • Member since Feb '09
  • It's craptaculer
    • View Profile
I did most of my welding with my buddys little craftman 110 not sure of the amps on it. Did just fine and everything is holding up great. I recently picked up a miller 130 and I love it. Gonna get a arc for the thicker stuff I need to weld. Looking at arc welders that could also tig. :flamer:

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
 I got a Hobart handler 187 used on Craigs and it runs very smooth, absolutely love it! I really need to weld more often though...
22RE .30 over, mild cam, K&N, LCE header, 2.25'' pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

no substitute for 4wheel drive.

caCrawlin

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
Think ima go pick up a miller this weekend, grats on yours, good choice.  Cant really go wrong with miller or lincoln.  :shocking: