Author Topic: Harbor Freight Chicago Welder, Any Way to Make it Suck Less?  (Read 20902 times)

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I'm glad I read this.  I have the $90 HF Flux Core welder too and it spits and spatters all over the place with the HF wire.  I'll have to try out the Lincoln wire when I weld up my other half door.  The first one came out looking like crap with the HF wire - had to do a lot of grinding and will have to do a bunch of bondo work to get it to look decent.  I've done some welding with a nice Miller mig welder that looked way better than this - but then again, it was a high dollar welder my old shop owns.  I just bought the cheap HF welder to get me through some home projects and 4 my rig.

When you use the HF wire, you spend more time grinding than welding...LOL...
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

Thomas P

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 3,092
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
When you use the HF wire, you spend more time grinding than welding...LOL...

Thats what I was talking about, it would have been cheaper and less time consuming in the end to buy a cheap lincoln, after you spend hours cleaning up welds, and $ on grinding wheels, and flap discs etc.
'85 EFI X cab SR5. 42" Iroks, Dual ultimates etc.
'84 Std. cab  Yota, Chevy 4.3 swapped (makes v8's cry)
'88 4 Runner 39.5" Iroks FJ80 front, taco rear elockers dual ultimates
'07 Toyota Tundra crew max 5.7 (grocery getter/tow rig)
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
I have a gmaw in all position, for d1.1 fcaw t71 for all position( dualshield) I have fcaw 3g for d1.5 bridge, smaw 3g bridge, SAW for bridge. when you get certified for d1.5 you can not do any grinding on your test plate. d1.1 you can. I can tig all position on mild, stainless and aluminum too.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Wow, I have big respect for anyone who can tig weld.  I've spent countless hours trying to learn how to do it right and my tig welds always look like crap.  Anyone who can tig weld is an artist in my book.

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
This is the welder I have and I've been using the lincoln wire as suggested on this thread and it seems to be working great, just not pretty welds.  I just got done welding all the braces to my front axle housing with it and I think I got this thing down.  

Next is welding my MC front spring hanger on my frame - has anyone tried doing that yet with this welder yet?  Does it have enough power to penetrate into the frame and spring hanger/crossmember?  I'm a little scared since if these weld fail, well, you know the story... :driving: :o : :_oops2:
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2009, 01:59:19 PM by BUDDERS »

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
I have a lincoln 125HD from Lowe's. It welds nice and purdy on angle iron. But when I was welding on this tubing with "taiwan" printed on it. It really blew chunks. I had to turn the heat way up and just a tad up on the wire feed. I am using the wire from lowes too. Oh, another thing. I keep blowing the 20 amp breaker after a while of welding. It blows more often when welding on the "taiwan" tubing.

CORRECTION: I got kinda happy with the numbers when typing. I meant 120v, 20 amp breaker  :smack:
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2009, 12:41:49 AM by hilux-1983 »
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

Crawler677

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 324
  • Member since Oct '05
  • BRRAaappp!
    • View Profile
I have a lincoln 125HD from Lowe's. It welds nice and purdy on angle iron. But when I was welding on this tubing with "taiwan" printed on it. It really blew chunks. I had to turn the heat way up and just a tad up on the wire feed. I am using the wire from lowes too. Oh, another thing. I keep blowing the 120 amp breaker after a while of welding. It blows more often when welding on the "taiwan" tubing.

ooff, blowing a 120amp breaker? i assume its a double poll breaker for 220? Is your receptacle wired for 120 amps? 120amps is more then the the entire sub panel im installing in my shop for my 255, which is going to be on a 60amp breaker. Might want to get that checked. if this 120amp is your main breaker in your service panel and the 50, 60 whatever amp for your outlet isnt blowing, theres more then likely something wrong with the breaker.

Sorry :offtopic:
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2009, 12:02:38 AM by Crawler677 »
'99 SR5/TRD Tacoma w/5vzfe. SAS'd with 64" diamond axle (w/ long superset & ARB). about 5" of lift, 305/75 x16 BFG KM1's. Soon to come: 1.5" more lift (6.5"), 35 to 37" tire, undecided at this point., 63" F/F diamond rear, Marlin 4.7 tacobox.

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
ttt. see correction below, oops I musta been  :sleepy:
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
What else is on the 20 amp circuit?
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
What else is on the 20 amp circuit?

Radio for the garage:)

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
you running off an extension cord?

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile

Dingman.

• Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
Mine will blow the circuit just for the garage when i weld, but i HAVE to run a small extension cord.  I used a much fatter gauge one once, and no problems... So i need to get a fatter guage extension cord.

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
Do you have to adjust the settings soo drastically when like I said before: "welding on taiwan stamped tubing compared to angle iron type of steel"

Dingman.

• Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
No, the lincoln i am running is very consistant..

I just was wondering if your problem had to do with an extension cord, so i guess we got off topic.

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
Is the polarity correct?
should be electrode positive for fluxcore.   
22RE .30 over, mild cam, K&N, LCE header, 2.25'' pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

no substitute for 4wheel drive.

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
I have a harbor freight special and the 1st 2 spools a ran thru it were utter crap welds for the most part.  Very hard to judge speed for me.  Yesterday I picked up a spool of Radnor while from airgas and all I can say is WOW.
Welds are laying out flatter and smoother.  Once you remove the flux with a brush the welds are so clean and shinny I hate to mess with them.  Not bad for a 14 dollar 2 pound spool.

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
I have a harbor freight special and the 1st 2 spools a ran thru it were utter crap welds for the most part.  Very hard to judge speed for me.  Yesterday I picked up a spool of Radnor while from airgas and all I can say is WOW.
Welds are laying out flatter and smoother.  Once you remove the flux with a brush the welds are so clean and shinny I hate to mess with them.  Not bad for a 14 dollar 2 pound spool.

Is this fluxcore wire?
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Crawler677

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 324
  • Member since Oct '05
  • BRRAaappp!
    • View Profile
Is this fluxcore wire?

"Once you remove the flux with a brush"

Sounds it.

MTNyote, are you sure about electrode positive for fluxcore? i always thought the opposite.
'99 SR5/TRD Tacoma w/5vzfe. SAS'd with 64" diamond axle (w/ long superset & ARB). about 5" of lift, 305/75 x16 BFG KM1's. Soon to come: 1.5" more lift (6.5"), 35 to 37" tire, undecided at this point., 63" F/F diamond rear, Marlin 4.7 tacobox.

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
No fluxcore self shielding is electrode negitive
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
Heck I am not a big time welder.  I just mess with it since I am always big on tryin to learn new things.  Welding is an art to me and some of the welds I see on here are amazing.  I had a buddy who built drag racing cars and to say the least his welds were some of the best there is.  He had a friend driving one of his cars when the main shoot broke and the car went off an the road bout 3/4 mile later and flipped end of end think it was like  5 times along with the rolls.  The driver named steve walked away with only a bruised elboy.  They est his speed when he went off the bank at 220 mph.  Ever since watching him build cars ive wanted to learn the skill.  My terms may be off but I am learning just at my pace.
Even with this low end welder I am managing to make some pretty flat even welds with this new Rancor wire. Its a flux core .30 . imo it was night and day diff.
I am gonna be building my bumper this weekend and ill post some of welds so yall can see what I am doing. 

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
Sweet keep on trying you will only get better from here.

LilGonzo86

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -39
  • Male Posts: 94
  • Member since Jul '09
  • BUILD THREAD: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index
    • View Profile
which harbor freight welder is the best one to get

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
which harbor freight welder is the best one to get

Don't know the best, but don't get one that can't handle hooking up gas...........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

LilGonzo86

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -39
  • Male Posts: 94
  • Member since Jul '09
  • BUILD THREAD: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index
    • View Profile
ok thanks

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
Just a little update on my exp with the HF 90amp model.  I am now on my 6th or maybe 7th spool threw it and its been very frustrating at times since it just wont gen enough heat to lay flat welds.   Ive messed with wire speed and welding speed with very little success.  I have noticed I am getting good penetration but the welds will cont. to look like crap.  Either or for the price and the amount of stuff ive welded I would say ive already got my moneys worth out of it.   I am deff sticking with radnor wire tho.  So far its been the best at leaving less splatter and laying down the flattest.  Just a little fyi I guess. 
Heres a pic of a decent weld I made while making my bumper.
 I just finished making it today but I didnt get a chance to take some pics of it.  I wanted to make something diff then any else ive seen out there.

illinoisyotadriver

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
it's all about the wire you use cheap hf wire crapie welds better wire better welds :flamer: :twocents:

Foghorn57

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
My lincoln is a 220v and i have no problems with it. just goes to show you really cant scrimp on the money when it comes to materials. It just like when i did auto painting i used dupont base coat and tried to use a cheap clear only to have it come back 6mos later and haunt me. That was the last time i tried to save money on materials.

Foggy  8)